PDA

View Full Version : Stringing gut with Gamma X6FC

dadozen
03-11-2011, 04:41 AM
Guys, I'm about to get a Gamma X6FC to start stringin for myself.

My only concern is if the gripper can damage gut while tensioning the string.

Thanks!

rich s
03-11-2011, 08:33 AM
I had a 602FC... very similar to the X6FC and same tensioner/gripper....

I have strung SG's, Poly's, Multi's and NG's on the machine.... never had it damaged the string to cause it to fail or be unplayable.

With Multi's and NG you will get a little ghosting in the region where the string wraps around the small radius and enters the gripper slot, but I've never had the string damaged to the point of failure while stringing or pre-mature failure while playing that was the result of damage induced by the tensioner/gripper.

dadozen
03-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks Rich!

While stringing gut, did you feel that it stretched do much that you had to lift and let the weight drop several times? This is my last concern before placing the order!:D

klu375
03-11-2011, 08:53 AM
I have 6X-FC. You may have to drop weight a few times to have bar at horizontal. If you wait to clamp you may have to drop again with elastic strings if you want to be perfect. I do it with really thin polys.
If I would be buying again I might look at Eagnas automatic dropweight.

dadozen
03-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Klu, which model do you recommend from Eagnas?

rich s
03-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Thanks Rich!

While stringing gut, did you feel that it stretched do much that you had to lift and let the weight drop several times? This is my last concern before placing the order!:D

I did a light pre-stretch to remove the coil memory so as to aid in preventing kinking when handling it.... so.... I really can't comment on it stretching too much.... however I don't see that it should be a big deal if it does.... just raise the drop arm as many times as you need until it attains a horizontal orientation.....

go for it.... you will be glad you did.... :)

dadozen
03-11-2011, 01:42 PM
I did a light pre-stretch to remove the coil memory so as to aid in preventing kinking when handling it.... so.... I really can't comment on it stretching too much.... however I don't see that it should be a big deal if it does.... just raise the drop arm as many times as you need until it attains a horizontal orientation.....

go for it.... you will be glad you did.... :)

Thanks man;) I'll take your advice and place the order right now. I'm tired of going to the local shop to get my racquets strung - and it's not even close.

klu375
03-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Klu, which model do you recommend from Eagnas?

I would look at http://www.eagnas.com/logic90.html but there are no reviews from the actual owners in the stringing section. If you have already ordered x6fc you will be ok.