PDA

View Full Version : NOT Impressed with Big Hitter

edman9898
03-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Just tried out Big Hitter Blue and BHBR and was not impressed. While it had tremendous spin, the ball seemed to come off the stringbed inconsistently. I had too many "flyers" that I did not have when I went back to my normal string Tour Bite. Has anyone else had this happen?

BagelMe
03-11-2011, 06:33 PM
This was EXACTLY what happened with me. I posted a thread called BHBR at higher tensions, because I thought the erratic shots, mostly on my fh side, were due to the low tensions; however, even at 58 lbs, this string doesn't have a crisp feel and it feels like the ball is just slipping on the stringbed.

Definitely not a string suitable for a person that likes to hit through the ball.

J_aces
03-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Is slipping the opposite of good ball pocketing? Not sure what you mean by slipping...

BobFL
03-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Just tried out Big Hitter Blue and BHBR and was not impressed. While it had tremendous spin, the ball seemed to come off the stringbed inconsistently. I had too many "flyers" that I did not have when I went back to my normal string Tour Bite. Has anyone else had this happen?

Exactly what happened to me...

scotus
03-11-2011, 08:47 PM
I thought Big Hitter Blue was not even a mediocre string. All it offered was comfort (for a co-poly, that is) but no special playability or spin potential.

Despite all the rave reviews that the rough version has been getting, I am quite reluctant to try it out.

parasailing
03-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Glad I am not the only one experiencing this with Big Hitter Blue. To me it's just an average copoly string. I find it does not produce as much spin as Polyfibre TCS and do not offer as much control either. Balls sometimes sail when hitting them and power was just average. Perhaps, people love it due to the low price.

I also got a set of the Rough and wondering if I should try it as well.

J_aces
03-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Everyone seems to be saying different things. Great spin, terrible for spin, powerful, not powerful, good control, terrible control. Guess I gotta just wait and try it for myself. Has anyone disliked BHB but liked BHBR?

parasailing
03-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Everyone seems to be saying different things. Great spin, terrible for spin, powerful, not powerful, good control, terrible control. Guess I gotta just wait and try it for myself. Has anyone disliked BHB but liked BHBR?

It's all relative and depends on how many strings you have actually tested. Had I not tested Polyfibre TCS or Polystar Energy, I would have said that BHB was better than x string but you need to try it yourself since everyone has a different criteria in evaluating strings.

edman9898
03-12-2011, 02:50 PM
I will say that the spin was tremendous with Big Hitter Blue Rough. I tried the Rough and regular version on identical sticks at identical tensions and didn't care for either. I think I may have had slightly more control with the regular version. That being said, neither had good control. I am still loving the Tour Bite 17. I think I can finally say I am done with trying other racquets and strings (going 2 1/2 years!), as this setup is the closest I will find to my Holy Grail!

parasailing
03-12-2011, 05:03 PM
I will say that the spin was tremendous with Big Hitter Blue Rough. I tried the Rough and regular version on identical sticks at identical tensions and didn't care for either. I think I may have had slightly more control with the regular version. That being said, neither had good control. I am still loving the Tour Bite 17. I think I can finally say I am done with trying other racquets and strings (going 2 1/2 years!), as this setup is the closest I will find to my Holy Grail!

Can you list some of the other strings you have tried so we can have a comparison? I heard good things about Tour Bite but like everyone else, it may or maybe not be the right string.

BobFL
03-12-2011, 05:08 PM

BHBR is not terrible by any means. It is OK string, nothing more and nothing less. Btw, my racquet is very soft so I prefer firmer string bed. BHBR is mushy and soft. I also found string bed to be a bit unpredictable ('hot spots').

edman9898
03-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Can you list some of the other strings you have tried so we can have a comparison? I heard good things about Tour Bite but like everyone else, it may or maybe not be the right string.

Sure. My normal setup is PHT mains/ Gosen Og Micro or PSGD crosses. Tour Bite in a full bed gives me more power, a softer feel, and about the same spin. TB might give me a bit more control also. Strings I've used are:

BHB
BHBR
Adrenaline
RPM Blast
Multifeel
Pro Line 2
Gamma Ruff
Gosen Polylon
Big Banger original Rough
MSV Focus hex
Cyber Flash
Wilson Sensation
Wilson Hollowcore

Thats all I can think of at the moment! Let me know if you want me to compare it to any of these strings. TB is definitely a crisp feeling string, but if you don't have any arm problems you will be fine. It really is not that harsh at all. The first hour it may feel too stiff, but it softens up and keeps tension FOREVER!

J_aces
03-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Sure. My normal setup is PHT mains/ Gosen Og Micro or PSGD crosses. Tour Bite in a full bed gives me more power, a softer feel, and about the same spin. TB might give me a bit more control also. Strings I've used are:

BHB
BHBR
Adrenaline
RPM Blast
Multifeel
Pro Line 2
Gamma Ruff
Gosen Polylon
Big Banger original Rough
MSV Focus hex
Cyber Flash
Wilson Sensation
Wilson Hollowcore

Thats all I can think of at the moment! Let me know if you want me to
compare it to any of these strings. TB is definitely a crisp feeling string, but if you don't have any arm problems you will be fine. It really is not that harsh at all. The first hour it may feel too stiff, but it softens up and keeps tension
FOREVER!

how does bhbr compare to rpm?

edman9898
03-13-2011, 12:16 AM
how does bhbr compare to rpm?

I would say that BHB is similar to RPM, but to be honest its been a while since I hit with RPM. I think RPM had much better control. From what I've heard, BHB has much better tension maintenance.

Ross K
03-13-2011, 12:26 AM
Just amazing how we all differ in our perceptions... I suspect the frames - the different frames that we are all using - has an influence on our different impressions.

For me, who tried BHBR in a TF V02 320, I didn't find it mushy at all; rather, I thought it was stiffer than I expected (and this is @ 52 ibs), not as mega-spinny as I thought it would be, and generally, well, I was slightly disappointed.

edman9898
03-13-2011, 12:33 AM
Just amazing how we all differ in our perceptions... I suspect the frames - the different frames that we are all using - has an influence on our different impressions.

For me, who tried BHBR in a TF V02 320, I didn't find it mushy at all; rather, I thought it was stiffer than I expected (and this is @ 52 ibs), not as mega-spinny as I thought it would be, and generally, well, I was slightly disappointed.

VERY true Ross. One man's trash is another's treasure! How did you find the control aspect?

Carolina Racquet
03-13-2011, 04:33 AM
I think the comments about the 'flyers' some experienced may have to do with the more unique playing characteristics of BHB. I think it's a more powerful poly compared to others I've tried and the flyers may be a result.

It certainly isn't a good fit for those who like a stiffer feel.