PDA

View Full Version : Quick Reel Questions

Hominator
03-12-2011, 04:22 AM
Sorry, newbie stringing questions here:

How many string jobs for a 100 sq. in. racquet can I get out of a reel of string (660 ft. or 200 meters)?

Typically how much string do you need for a string job for this size racquet?

I'm considering getting a reel of my favorite string, but I'm trying to see if it's worth the cost over individual packs. Thanks for your help!

COPEY
03-12-2011, 04:35 AM
You should be able to get 17, maybe 18 string jobs from a reel - depends on the racquet. What kind of racquet?

Hominator
03-12-2011, 04:36 AM
You should be able to get 17, maybe 18 string jobs from a reel - depends on the racquet. What kind of racquet?

Head IG Speed MP, which is 16X19 and 100". Thanks.

ethebull
03-12-2011, 04:38 AM
660/40 = 16.5 With a 100 inch frame, and being a new stringer, you won't get much more than that. 17 full jobs is a fair number to use in you calculations. Some reel prices are great, others are too close in price to buying 17 packs to make it worth the investment.

COPEY
03-12-2011, 04:49 AM
^^^Correct - your racquet calls for 38' (20' mains/18' crosses) of string, which equates to 17.4 string jobs.

What kind of string?

Hominator
03-12-2011, 04:55 AM
^^^Correct - your racquet calls for 38' (20' mains/18' crosses) of string, which equates to 17.4 string jobs.

What kind of string?

I'm really liking Head Sonic Pro 17. Problem is, the strings die faster than any other poly I've ever used. Rotating two racquets, I figured out that I'd have to re-string each about twice a month. I've found a reel for $128 shipped.

So I'm thinking of getting either the Gamma 602FC or Alpha Pioneer DC Plus. I figure I can't go wrong with either and could have the machine pay for itself in less than a year if I buy a reel and string for myself...

COPEY
03-12-2011, 05:01 AM
Yep, definitely more economical to buy in a reel. ($7.5 vs $11.95 per string job)

You're definitely doing the right thing by purchasing a stringer, and yes, regardless of which one you choose you can't lose. Once you start stringing your own racquets it won't matter how fast the strings die; just rip those suckers out and throw in some fresh ones. ;-)

pvaudio
03-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Another idea is to order from England. The shipping is only about $8, and it takes about a week, but you can get ridiculous prices ex VAT. For example, a reel of Signum Pro Tornado here in the US will be $177 before shipping. Ex VAT over from England is $77 or $91 w/ VAT if you for some reason live in the EU and are considering ordering string from the states (where we unfortunately seem to have a lesser selection :( )

COPEY
03-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Yep, I've done that, and fortunately, for the string he wants he can get an extremely good deal. Other strings you either end up paying just as much and sometimes more. Good idea to always check, though!

pvaudio
03-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Indeed. Interestingly, an example that is frankly ridiculous is the excellent Gosen OG Sheep Micro. A set of it costs about $4. A reel can be found (if you look carefully ;) )online for under $35. That's almost half the cost of buying individual sets. Hell, it's the price of a single set of Bab Tonic which really isn't one of the best guts on the market anyway.

mikeler
03-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Indeed. Interestingly, an example that is frankly ridiculous is the excellent Gosen OG Sheep Micro. A set of it costs about $4. A reel can be found (if you look carefully ;) )online for under $35. That's almost half the cost of buying individual sets. Hell, it's the price of a single set of Bab Tonic which really isn't one of the best guts on the market anyway.

Just hit with the Tonic today. It was OK but probably strung too high. It bugs me when there is zero discount on a reel. Seems like they would want to entice us to buy in bulk.

pvaudio
03-12-2011, 11:53 AM
No, Tonic is just mediocre. I'd choose anything Klip over it. I guess there's a reason why they call it the VS rejects.