PDA

View Full Version : Pro Hurricane 18 vs. Tour Bite 18

The Djoker
03-12-2011, 10:21 PM
I am deciding between these two strings. Has anyone played with both? Can you compare their spin potential, control, pop, feel? I want to go with a thinner string (see signature for current) for better spin generation, but I still want to maintain good control and feel. Thanks!

Meaghan
03-13-2011, 01:46 AM
I always found PH and PHT average, Tour Bite for me is a top string, has by far the best bite/grab and topspin on the market and thus superb control. I did however find that the 1.25 was the best gauge for this, weirdly i didnt get the same spin off the 18 but when you feel the strings together there is a notable difference, the 18 doesnt feel as sharp and stiff, less substantial. The 18 tho is still better in every dept than PH imo.

scotus
03-13-2011, 01:56 AM
I consider Pro Hurricane 18 a daily disposable string. It plays superbly with a lot of control and spin and is probably the most comfortable poly out there. However, it pretty much goes dead after one hitting session. Comfort goes way south as well. But if I were diligent enough to restring every time I hit the court, I would definitely use this one.

I have recently acquired a reel of Tour Bite 18, but it has been just sitting there. Haven't tried it, so can't comment on how it plays, except to say that I was not all that impressed with its 17g cousin. Much stiffer than other top co-polys out there. I advise stringing the 17 g looser.

A few weeks ago I ran a side-by-side comparison test. Identical sticks strung with gut mains. One had Genesis Spin-X Red 17 g in the cross, and the other Tour Bite 17 g. Spin-X performed beautifully with lots of bite and action and comfort. Tour Bite also had a lot of bite and spin, but it was much stiffer. Comfort just wasn't there even at 2 lbs lower than Spin-X. Not only that, I did not like the kind of spin I was getting. The ball sort of sat up rather than penetrate the court like it did with Spin-X. I was able to get better performance out of Tour Bite a few days later after significant tension loss. But in my book, Spin-X is a few notches above Tour Bite.

edman9898
03-13-2011, 03:02 AM
Have to agree with both Meaghan and Scotus. Tour Bite is an excellent string but is on the stiffer side. That being said, it did not cause me any arm problems. I am using the 17 g version.

Meaghan
03-13-2011, 03:06 AM
I agree TB is a stiff poly, a reason why i like it so you have to have no arm problems.

Funny how people differ, I found PH to be one of the most dullest strings on the market!

scotus
03-13-2011, 03:10 AM
I agree TB is a stiff poly, a reason why i like it so you have to have no arm problems.

Funny how people differ, I found PH to be one of the most dullest strings on the market!

Are you sure you played the 18 gauge Hurricane?

It is an excellent all around string, but what really struck me was the feel and control I had on volleys.

I was hitting sharp angles, drop shots, putaway stick volleys as if I was "in the zone."

And the comfort--it is no stiffer than a regular synthetic gut.

Meaghan
03-13-2011, 03:29 AM
Are you sure you played the 18 gauge Hurricane?

It is an excellent all around string, but what really struck me was the feel and control I had on volleys.

I was hitting sharp angles, drop shots, putaway stick volleys as if I was "in the zone."

And the comfort--it is no stiffer than a regular synthetic gut.

therein lies my problem......

Dynasti
03-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Never played with the Tour, but I do use the PH18. I find them to be absolutely amazing. I've hit with them all this passed week since my season just start, and I still find them to have some bite..

Edit: Also, the stick had been siting in my room for about 4 months. It was winter and I sprained my ankle really bad so I hadn't been able to use it since the Summer. Picked it up last week and it played like heaven.

scotus
03-13-2011, 10:21 AM
therein lies my problem......

I see your point. You like your string stiff.

The Djoker
03-13-2011, 10:55 AM
I always found PH and PHT average, Tour Bite for me is a top string, has by far the best bite/grab and topspin on the market and thus superb control. I did however find that the 1.25 was the best gauge for this, weirdly i didnt get the same spin off the 18 but when you feel the strings together there is a notable difference, the 18 doesnt feel as sharp and stiff, less substantial. The 18 tho is still better in every dept than PH imo.

Is the Bastcore 20 a 16x19 string pattern? I play with an 18x20, so maybe the 18g would be better in my case?

The Djoker
03-13-2011, 05:10 PM
After hearing all this, I think Tour Bite may be a little too stiff. I'll wait until my current strings are done and probably go with PH 18g. I'll let you know what I think when that time comes!

AlpineAce
03-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Tour bite is NOT too stiff, its definately softer than ALU rough.

Meaghan
03-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Is the Bastcore 20 a 16x19 string pattern? I play with an 18x20, so maybe the 18g would be better in my case?

Yeah true it may work better in the dense pattern.

A softer tour bite is solinco revolution...very good string.

As TB being stiff its all a bit relative. Im also using the bast core which is a different animal than other rackets and strings feel different due to the recoil.

The Djoker
03-17-2011, 02:28 PM
okokok i've added black widow 17 and BHBR 17 to the discussion. Any different thoughts? I think the choice is now among these two and PH 18.

Dynasti
03-17-2011, 09:01 PM
PH 18 for sure.

edman9898
03-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Some people love the BHBR, but I could not keep it in the court. Had the least control of any poly I have hit.

J_aces
03-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Some people love the BHBR, but I could not keep it in the court. Had the least control of any poly I have hit.

Do you hit with heavy topspin or more flat?