hcb0804
03-13-2011, 02:57 PM
james blake has to tape up what seems to be nike breathe cage II's
for sponshorship purposes?
does anyone know why?

Because Fila can't make a suitable shoe for him

jmverdugo
03-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Because he is toooooo picky... same reason he doesnt want to change racquets, he did not like the Fila models so he started to use the Nikes again. It is not like he could play any worst with different shoes and different racquet.

lulo
03-14-2011, 04:52 PM
can someone post a picture of this??

Bogie
03-15-2011, 02:00 PM
ya it's starting to get ridiculous. he doesn't like any of the rackets out there and he can't play in any kind of fila shoes even though they were custom made for him. if you're results have plummeted this much already, trying something new can only help. can't hurt anything any more at this point in his career

li0scc0
03-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Because Fila can't make a suitable shoe for him

Isn't he ranked in the 100's now? He should be happy to get free shoes from Fila and call it good.

NLBwell
03-15-2011, 04:11 PM
As far as rackets, he should be able to adjust to a new racket. Maybe he needs to get a racket that is completely different so he doesn't expect it to have the same feel (which can't be reproduced) - maybe a much more powerful one - and try to re-tool his game around it. Maybe a Pure Drive or Head Extreme. He isn't very successful now.
As far as shoes, some people's feet are very difficult to fit and maybe only one brand has a last that fits them right. If the shoes aren't right it can cause a lot of pain and damage quickly. I'm much more sympathetic about the shoes.

TheKingOfClay
03-15-2011, 05:25 PM
yeah, but tape???cmon...

Tennis_Crazed
03-16-2011, 02:16 AM
Any pictures????

Kenny022593
03-16-2011, 07:14 AM
Searching is a pain in the butt, so I did it for you. That isn't sarcasm btw:)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=333373&highlight=James+Blake+shoes

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=314624&highlight=James+Blake+shoes

Gemini
03-16-2011, 07:41 AM
It's psychological...the shoes, the racquet. I personally think it's all holding him back.

gavna
03-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Not for shoes - Look I cannot wear Addidas period, its just that the last they use dosn't fit me.
Sampras as an example had a huge issue with his feet and with the Sergio Tacchini shoes and his early Nikes he could not wear them. I remember seeing the Tacchini's and Nike's that he would cut with razor blades to eliminate the stress points.

Even better was when Sampras would wear the old Wilson Pro Staff shoes with all the logo's removed but up close or in pics it's clear he was not wearing the ST nor Nike.

JRstriker12
03-16-2011, 08:57 AM
As far as rackets, he should be able to adjust to a new racket. Maybe he needs to get a racket that is completely different so he doesn't expect it to have the same feel (which can't be reproduced) - maybe a much more powerful one - and try to re-tool his game around it. Maybe a Pure Drive or Head Extreme. He isn't very successful now.
As far as shoes, some people's feet are very difficult to fit and maybe only one brand has a last that fits them right. If the shoes aren't right it can cause a lot of pain and damage quickly. I'm much more sympathetic about the shoes.

He should be able to adjust to a new racket but he either won't or can't. Read PMac's book. Blake is very picky and refuses to change anything.

I can sympathize about the shoes though as my flat feet are hard to fit; however, I can't see why Fila couldn't do some customization, much like Nike has done for Fed and Nadal.

Gemini
03-16-2011, 09:07 AM
He should be able to adjust to a new racket but he either won't or can't. Read PMac's book. Blake is very picky and refuses to change anything.

I can sympathize about the shoes though as my flat feet are hard to fit; however, I can't see why Fila couldn't do some customization, much like Nike has done for Fed and Nadal.

Exactly! Agree completely. When you are the posterboy for a brand, what manufacturer is going create a custom product for your needs and specifications? I'm sure Fila has come to him and TRIED to work with his needs. Being picky doesn't help the situation. Also, it may be a case of Blake not being able to clearly articulate what he likes and doesn't like about a new racquet or new shoes.

baseline_monster
03-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Exactly! Agree completely. When you are the posterboy for a brand, what manufacturer is going create a custom product for your needs and specifications? I'm sure Fila has come to him and TRIED to work with his needs. Being picky doesn't help the situation. Also, it may be a case of Blake not being able to clearly articulate what he likes and doesn't like about a new racquet or new shoes.

I dont think he could get more clear than giving them a pair of cages and saying make me something as close as these. They should be able to do it. Then again I do agree that he is to picky, but then again everything about his personality and way is like that. Did he leaven Nike or was his contract just not renewed?

JRstriker12
03-17-2011, 11:54 AM
I dont think he could get more clear than giving them a pair of cages and saying make me something as close as these. They should be able to do it. Then again I do agree that he is to picky, but then again everything about his personality and way is like that. Did he leaven Nike or was his contract just not renewed?

For some reason I think maybe he got a bigger contract with Fila - plus they gave him his own signature line named after his father.

Gemini
03-17-2011, 12:03 PM

I suspect Nike didn't renew his contract.

And regarding Blake handing Fila one of his Nike's and saying "duplicate this", I'm sure that's what happened BUT that's also why I initially said that it's really just psychological with Blake. Even if Fila duplicated his Nike shoes down to within a couple of millimeters of detail, in his mind, it's not good enough.

courtking
03-17-2011, 10:29 PM
It's surprising that Fila still sponsor him.. his clothing line is getting ridiculous.. I have never seen anyone wearing a shirt or short yet.. He should just get a plain simple cotton T-shirt and working upward to get higher ranking..

Harry_Wild
03-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Blake needs to get his act together. Play with what the sponsor give him. He ranked way below 50 now; and he should just take what they give him and be grateful for the sponsorship. He is no spring chicken! He needs to play and win. It not his equipment in other words; it Blake!

Blake should get rid of any romance and concentrate on winning tennis matches. Have that Heather Mitts? or Mills at the player's box does not help Blake!

baseline_monster
03-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Fila are still sponsoring the guy as he is still promoting the brand, to 90% of people who watch tennis, he has a white tennis sneaker on. Its only us who know what were looking at that know its a Nike. The swoosh is covered up so min harm is done. The fact is, James Blake is a sell-able player, and apart from Kim Clijsters they have no one really. Yes Turnsonov and Tipso but they are not as well known the basic tennis fans. Fila must be seeing some return for the deal, or they are just being decent and seeing the contract out. We will never no.

Hewex
03-21-2011, 11:51 AM
I have a couple shirts from TR line. I don't normally buy Fila, but I like the TR stuff.