PDA

View Full Version : Unsponsored Player Question (ATP)

Herdsman76
03-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Ok here's a question. Say any one of us got the opportunity to play at the US Open or any other major event, what would we have to do considering our clothing and equipment? This is given we are unsponored.

Here is my example:

I play with the Babolat Pure Drive GT 135th edition racquet. I assume I would have to play with it unstenciled since I'm not sponsored. Would that be correct?

Same with my clothing, I love to sport Adidas from head to toe. Would I have to tape over any logos?

I'm just asking more out of curiosity than anything. Does the ATP have rules governing non-sponsored players?

What do you guys think? All I know is that if that dream opportunity came for me to play in a big event, I'd want to wear what I like.

Cheers!

H76

ihearit1st
03-13-2011, 03:06 PM
you can play in and with whatever you want. the reason you may see a player with a logo taped is because they don't want to advertise for a brand without getting paid. (i guess there's always the chance the logo is too big, which the atp/wta will step in and make them cover it up).

there are no rules governing non-sponsored players. the atp/wta are not involved with sponsorships.

so if you want to step out in a nike top, adidas short and babolat shoes with a stenciled dunlop frame and head bag, you definitely can.

Bobby Jr
03-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Nope. If you can buy it then the company can't stop you using it - with or without the logo. You can even use a Wilson with a Prince logo on it if you want. Or buy a Federer shirt and play against him in it (Nike would ask you not to but they've have to offer an alternative and it'd be up to you).

That sort of thing doesn't happen very often but it has - usually one player changes their shirt to a different colour version.

Sponsored players are not allowed to wear the same outfit as Federer/Nadal.

zak425
03-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Ditto to the two replies. The only time you'll see a logo covered is when lets say you are sponsored head to toe by Wilson, but instead of Wilson shoes you are wearing Nike shoes, you would have to cover the swoosh mostly to not **** off your sponsor and have you booted, depending on how good you are.

baseline_monster
03-13-2011, 03:51 PM
you can play in and with whatever you want. the reason you may see a player with a logo taped is because they don't want to advertise for a brand without getting paid. (i guess there's always the chance the logo is too big, which the atp/wta will step in and make them cover it up).

there are no rules governing non-sponsored players. the atp/wta are not involved with sponsorships.

so if you want to step out in a nike top, adidas short and babolat shoes with a stenciled dunlop frame and head bag, you definitely can.

Sums it up well. Common for players to try not to advertise brands who wouldnt give them deals, just means to company gets free advertising. In soccer years ago, alot of players used to black there boots out n stuff. I think if I was a good player and had a shot, I'd wear plain gear then you would have a good chance of brands seeing you were unsponsored and you never know lol

Herdsman76
03-13-2011, 04:34 PM
I like the multi logo idea! LOL I think it'd be hilarious watching all the companies go crazy with one person sporting all of their logos....

Cup8489
03-14-2011, 02:38 PM
I like the multi logo idea! LOL I think it'd be hilarious watching all the companies go crazy with one person sporting all of their logos....

Like djokovic....Sergio tacchini clothing, adidas shoes, head racquets lol

Herdsman76
03-15-2011, 03:55 AM
More like the other poster said; how about Dunlop Racquet, Babolat strings, Yonex Logo on the strings, Head cap, Adidas Shirt, Reebok Shorts, Nike socks, K-Swiss Shoes....

zasr4325
03-15-2011, 04:17 AM
Well when Nolevak was still with adidas, and was their biggest player back in 08, he wore Breathe Cage 2s on Centre at Wimbly. He just taped over the swoosh, much like James Blake is doing now. I think flavia pennetta(?) wears a mixture of nike and adidas sometimes, and Murray used to wear barricades during the hard court swings, and then switch to vapors for the grass and clay seasons.

coolhandluke
03-15-2011, 07:19 AM
It used to be that if you didn't have an equipment sponsorship, at like say the US Open, there would be a company that would outfit you for that tournament (i.e. two pairs of shoes, couple of shirts and shorts) in the anticipation that you play a seed and the match is on TV. They get the exposure. I know that Adidas did this when I played the qualies for the US Open 30 years ago. Thats why you see alot of players in the qualies playing in mixed matched outfits (i.e. Asic shoes, Nike outfit, Adidas wristbands and socks) This the stuff the they have picked up at various tournaments around the world:)