PDA

View Full Version : Strings for small headizes

Fuji
03-13-2011, 03:17 PM
So I am purchasing a K Prostaff 88, and I am wondering what peoples ideas for good strings for it are considering it is such a small mid head. I want to stay away from a poly in it for now, at least until I get used to it. I play with TONS of spin so I am looking for a non poly that will hold up to an All court player with lots of spin, and I play around 5-6 days a week. I'm not a string breaker AT ALL, just a really, really hard hitter.

I have used Head Rip Control 16, and I like it, but I want to try something a bit different. So far I have compiled a list of strings that are looking interesting to me!

Wilson HyperLast Spin 19 - I love this one because of the thin gauge, but I'm not sure if it is that great of a string. No one where I play ever uses this thin of a gauge.

Head Rip Control 17 - Same as my 16, but with just a thinner gauge.

Babolat XCel Premium 16 - Never tried this one, but it does seem to have pretty good reviews.

Sorry I'm sort of new to actually picking strings! I read all the string guides, but I'm just having a hard time deciding.

Thanks everyone!

-Fuji

EDIT:
Any and all strings suggestions are welcome, even if it is a softer poly. Natural Gut is too expensive for me to afford though!

fruitytennis1
03-13-2011, 04:05 PM
So I am purchasing a K Prostaff 88, and I am wondering what peoples ideas for good strings for it are considering it is such a small mid head. I want to stay away from a poly in it for now, at least until I get used to it. I play with TONS of spin so I am looking for a non poly that will hold up to an All court player with lots of spin, and I play around 5-6 days a week. I'm not a string breaker AT ALL, just a really, really hard hitter.

!

So you play with tons of spin and you hit hard..but your not a string breaker?
Anyways...out of that list i like Head Rip Control.

Fuji
03-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Yup! I know, it's quite weird. In the past 4ish years of me playing, I've only broken a string once. =/ It might be because I play from mid to low tension. I never string at the max tension or above.

Thanks for your input!

-Fuji

fruitytennis1
03-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Oh i used to love this string combo
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_IntelliTour_16_String/descpageACHEAD-HIT16.html

rudester
03-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Having come from background of playing mainly with a pro staff original 85 for the most part, what i have found is that poly strings do not work well with a very small head size frame, these frames are usually low powered and are enhanced the best with natural gut or multifibre string. Having said that, i do not like natural gut in most of todays modern frames, which actually perform better with a good poly to tame the extra power. With the price of natural gut these days, i cut my losses by stringing the mains with vs natural gut and the crosses with mantis comfort synthetic in my PS85, there is virtually no difference between this setup and a full set of natural gut as far as feel, control and performance. The only drawback with this is the potential for quicker loss of tension in the cross string. In my larger hooped Vantage 95 however, i get great performance from a thin gauge poly such as Luxilon Ace, BAM, or Mosquito Bite, and there is still plenty of feel and control.
These are the conclusions which i have come to IMHO.

NLBwell
03-13-2011, 05:23 PM
NXT Max works well for me in my original Kennex Black Aces. Good spin for a multi, not like a poly though. It lasts a long time - for me, double what regular NXT lasts. I'm a little irritated at the price these days, but it does save me the price of a stringjob due to its lifetime.

petercoffey
03-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Gosen Micro OG 17 Silver mains & Iso's Baseline spin 17 crosses, tried & true & CHEAP!!.....but if you don't break strings, why not go for Gut....it lasts forever

Fuji
03-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks a lot everyone so far for the suggestions! The only thing is for gut, I don't have much experience with it. It's fairly expensive, and it gets REALLY humid here in summer, but I do have some type of liner in my bag. Is gut okay to play with in super humid conditions?

I'm really liking that head Intellitour! The NXT max looks really great too, I like how you said it gets spin and lasts forever.

Peter, how is that Gosen? I don't have an over abundance of experience with that brand!

-Fuji

Keifers
03-13-2011, 07:48 PM
I've used NXT Tour 18 and LF Supernatural Pro Stock 17 in my 88s -- both very good.

Didn't enjoy Tough Gut 16L / Iso Professional 17 as well.

superjd
03-13-2011, 07:54 PM
i use technifibre e-matrix 17 (multifilaments) on my n-code 90, much better on my arm, does break quick though.

petercoffey
03-13-2011, 08:11 PM
"Peter, how is that Gosen? I don't have an over abundance of experience with that brand! "

Great string!! email me your address & I'll send you a set up. It's cheap & you can try it for yourself... the other string I really liked was Prince Topspin 15L...just seemed liked everybody else hated it....I really liked it in my N 90