PDA

View Full Version : Tension reccomendation on BLX 95 w/Sonic Pro string

only4theweak187
03-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Didn't know where else to ask this.

My buddy has the same racket as me (blx 95) and just picked up some HEAD Sonic Pro string a poly. He is wondering what a good tension to string it at would be.

I've read these feel a bit "mushy" and stretch a bit while stringing...

He plays about 4-5 times a week... maybe 55lb's?

I used these strings myself in another racket they never broke on me... they come with the head racket demos.

He just wants to be sure they wont break too easily since he plays a couple hours a day several days a week. So, should he string it maybe a bit higher? like 60lb's?

Thanks

smucker007
03-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Its hard to tell not knowing information about his strokes, his level, altitude, court surface, etc etc. What tension did he string his old string at before? And what string did he use before? If it was a syn gut I would suggest dropping the tension around 10%. If he never used the setup before, then string mid range of the recommended tension range or 2lbs below mid range. Is he looking for more feel/control or power?

greystar403
03-14-2011, 05:38 PM
depends on the string pattern...

closed pattern-higher tension due to tensional stability

open pattern-lower tension to maintain tensional stability

only4theweak187
03-14-2011, 10:20 PM
16/18 string pattern.

Plays 4-5 days a week.
Sea level.
Mild to moderate humiditiy each day of play.
4.5 player def, solid sound strokes.

Probably string it about 52? 51? since recommended tension is btwn 50-60 lb's and the string pattern is pretty open right

snoflewis
03-14-2011, 11:14 PM
i think what he meant was...you're here asking people for tension recommendations and what would work best for you. If i told you my string setup, would you be able to tell me what tension works best for me? No.

if you want better help, provide a reference point. what was the racket strung with before? and at what tension?

smucker007
03-15-2011, 02:15 AM
Actually, with an open pattern, you can string a bit tighter, because the stringbed will feel looser as compared to a closed pattern racquet. Have him try a few different tensions and see how he likes it. Is the stringing machine being used on the racquet a constant pull or lockout? If it is a lockout, then I would recommend stringing it at 56 or so initially and see what his feedback is from it. For constant pull (dropweight or electronic) I'd recommend 52ish. Now mind you I still don't know much about the player..but use these numbers as a reference point and then adjust from that from the feedback of the player.

It is really hard to say..best work closely with a certified stringer or a MRT to get to the best tension/string for your friend. You can search for certified stringers or MRTs in your area at the USRSA website.

Good luck!

Torres
03-15-2011, 04:24 AM
depends on the string pattern...

closed pattern-higher tension due to tensional stability

open pattern-lower tension to maintain tensional stability

No, other way round. Closed = lower tension, open = higher.

nCode747
03-15-2011, 03:05 PM
I play with Sonic pro and I wouldn't call them mushy. They are really soft tho. You should be ok with stringing them as high as 60.