PDA

View Full Version : Do you find Tourna Poly Big Hitter Blue Rough too uncontrollable at low tensions?

flargosa
03-14-2011, 06:31 AM
I strung my Pure Storm GT with it at 52 lbs. Its got great spin, but hard to control ball depth and too much ball pocketting it's absorbing most of the rebound power. Is this one best strung tighter? What tension do you guys use for this string?

BagelMe
03-14-2011, 06:45 AM
Even at higher tensions its hard to control the ball. I strung it at 58, full bed, on my YT prestige MP and the feel was awful.

downs_chris
03-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Even at higher tensions its hard to control the ball. I strung it at 58, full bed, on my YT prestige MP and the feel was awful.

yeah -- i agree...this string just feels too mushy without any control...

Cup8489
03-14-2011, 07:35 AM
It's meant to mimic the feel of a syn get with the properties of a poly.. I love the stuff at low tension personally.

Bartelby
03-14-2011, 07:38 AM
it's playing beautifully in a rdx 500 at 48.

It's meant to mimic the feel of a syn get with the properties of a poly.. I love the stuff at low tension personally.

flargosa
03-14-2011, 07:56 AM
For those who like this string, what string or string type where you guys coming from, previous to this? Do you guys play from the baseline or Serve and Volley?

For those you don't like this string, what string or string type do you usually use?

edman9898
03-14-2011, 10:45 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=371921

Read this.

Carolina Racquet
03-14-2011, 01:44 PM
I like BHB/BHBR for use with normal tension. I found it to be too powerful for a lower tension setup.

I didn't experience the flyer syndrome at normal tension.

CDestroyer
03-14-2011, 02:08 PM
It is extremely powerful. I string it at 60 pounds. Your racquet is also very powerful. It is still very comfortable for a 1.25 poly imo.

Torres
03-14-2011, 02:38 PM
No idea what the haters are babbling on about. I string it at 53lbs in a BLX 6.1 and its fantastic. The spin and movement on the ball during first the 2-4 hours is incredible before a gradual gentle drop off in spin and bite and it reverts to a 'mainstream' poly.

52lbs in 16x20/98 PST is too low for this string in my view. That tension is more suited to a closed pattern 95.

mctennis
03-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Would this BHBR be better suited as one of the strings in a hybrid setup? Mains or crosses- what do you think? I just ordered a couple of sets a week ago.

Torres
03-14-2011, 03:12 PM
^^^ I have one racquet strung full bed, another with BHBR mains, and another with BHBR crosses. Was eager to test the string ;-) If you want spin, crazy movement on the ball and impossible shot making at the expense of some stringbed power, full bed BHBR is the one to go for. BHBR mains isn't far behind though - you can hit some crazy shots that don't look like they're going in or even over that net with that combo. BHBR as a cross is a bit of a waste in my view - you feel the (in my case, the Multifeel 17) mains more than anything else. With that combination, all the BHBR seems to do is stiffen the stringbed and stop the multi from trampolining.

Carolina Racquet
03-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Would this BHBR be better suited as one of the strings in a hybrid setup? Mains or crosses- what do you think? I just ordered a couple of sets a week ago.

IMO if you do a hybrid, I would string BHBR in the mains. What do you usually use for a cross string? A multi, or another poly?

mctennis
03-14-2011, 03:20 PM
I have been using gut mains and TiMO crosses. I did try, just Friday, Scorpion mains and gut crosses from a post suggestion. It hit really nice, great spin and control.

J_aces
03-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Would this be good as main with crisp syn gut like gosen on cross. Get rid of mushiness?

Maroon_Tenniskid
03-14-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm using it at 50 on my IG Speed MP 16x19 just fine

Torres
03-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Would this be good as main with crisp syn gut like gosen on cross. Get rid of mushiness?

It's not a mushy string. If anything, its crisp with a slight hint of softness (for a poly). I'm not sure where the 'mushy' thing comes from. Possibly someone stringing it in a 100sq" 16x19 at a low tension?

BHBR is okay with Gosen cross. I had that exact combination in one of my racquets - BHBR 17 53lbs and Gosen Natural 17 55lbs. My only comment would be that during the first 2-4 hours, the BHBR dominates the feel of the stringbed but that's not such a bad thing. After 4 hours the BHBR characteristics begin to fade and the characteristic become more even. If I was using Gosen again, I up the tension by another lb, or I might try Gosen White 17, which is slightly stiffer than natural.

smucker007
03-14-2011, 05:25 PM
I love tourna strings at low tensions..tho I can practically use any string..I like the soft feel and the pocketing of BHBR and BHB at low tensions. I have a racquet with BHB at 45 and I will lower it to around 38 next time I string it. I do prefer BHBR to BHB because of the extra spin I get. It really depends on your strokes. I have full strokes with a full western forehand and I spin the backhand a lot as well..so with a spin game, it works well... Not all string is for everyone..thats why there is soo much selection out there now! I use full poly in a 100sq 16x19 and I love it!

J_aces
03-14-2011, 05:55 PM
It's not a mushy string. If anything, its crisp with a slight hint of softness (for a poly). I'm not sure where the 'mushy' thing comes from. Possibly someone stringing it in a 100sq" 16x19 at a low tension?

BHBR is okay with Gosen cross. I had that exact combination in one of my racquets - BHBR 17 53lbs and Gosen Natural 17 55lbs. My only comment would be that during the first 2-4 hours, the BHBR dominates the feel of the stringbed but that's not such a bad thing. After 4 hours the BHBR characteristics begin to fade and the characteristic become more even. If I was using Gosen again, I up the tension by another lb, or I might try Gosen White 17, which is slightly stiffer than natural.

I'll probably string the hybrid at 54/57 then. I use 100 sq" with 16x19...

Torres
03-14-2011, 06:03 PM
I'll probably string the hybrid at 54/57 then. I use 100 sq" with 16x19...

The last time I played with a 100/16x19 I went with 57/60 but its all a matter of personal choice. The only thing you can do is try it and adjust your tension up or down to suit your preference.

flargosa
03-14-2011, 06:26 PM
I cut the strings out and strung another set at 57 lbs, hopefully I will be able to play this Wed. Lets see how this plays.

flargosa
03-16-2011, 07:17 PM
I finally got to play this string two matches against a 3.5 player at higher tension, 57 lbs. Plays quite well, ball control is back, more crisp, spin generation seems very good, however, it does feel harsher than the Lux Savage at 57 lbs. I also don't like the way it pockets heavy balls, particularly when returning flat serves, takes out some directional predictability of my returns. Compared to my default string, Lux ALU Rough, I find overall ball control about the same, but power generation is lesser effort on the BHBR. It feels just as harsh, but tends to absorb more shock from heavy balls compared to my usual string. This is worth a try guys, price is reasonable too.