PDA

View Full Version : Multi mains, poly crosses?

Boricua
03-14-2011, 01:48 PM
I am a topspin hitter and like a balance of power and control. I dont like stiff feeling strings. Will multifilament mains and poly crosses be an alternative or stick with the polys as a main??

I rely alot in my topspin, just a note:).

JT_2eighty
03-14-2011, 02:14 PM
For spin, gut mains is Incredibly better than multi mains.

It may seem they'd be similar on paper, but the pure elasticity and resiliency of gut mains is beyond comparison. Now, the multi/poly setup will definitely be soft, but for spin, is going to be less than gut/poly, poly/gut, poly/multi, poly/poly...

dadozen
03-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Multi/poly is the worst combo I've ever used. It brought to surface the worst about each one of the strings: uncontrollable power from the multi while a sttif feel from the poly. Yes, it's weird.

Also, it lasted me very little. Didn't like it at all.

finalfantasy7
03-14-2011, 02:29 PM
look at the weiscannon range - scorpian, blackedge, turbotwist, silverstring as crosses, there are threads like PVAUDIO's he's tested alot of string especially weiscannon's, try reading rodrigo's string thread

other signum pro tornado
black code
Poly star turbo
try even mantis power synthetic - very good ive read
Gosen - read these are good an cheap - think there synthetic
Volkl's Cyclone
Polyfibre Hexa Blade
Signum Pro Poly Plasma
Signum Pro Hyperion
Polystar energy
Genesis typhoon
solinco tour bite - more of a mains string

gut mains are alot better than multi - way more spin & power,feel,comfort etc

JT_2eighty
03-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Multi/poly is the worst combo I've ever used. It brought to surface the worst about each one of the strings: uncontrollable power from the multi while a sttif feel from the poly. Yes, it's weird.

Also, it lasted me very little. Didn't like it at all.

Same experience.

Multi is good for a full bed for those who like that feel. Or as a cross string to soften up something stiff, or even as a cross string to mitigate the cost of full gut. Not very effective as a main unless it's a full job.

JT_2eighty
03-14-2011, 02:47 PM
I am a topspin hitter and like a balance of power and control. I dont like stiff feeling strings. Will multifilament mains and poly crosses be an alternative or stick with the polys as a main??

Oops, realized I didn't really answer your question.

A: Stick with polys as a main. :D

NewGuy
03-14-2011, 04:39 PM

Some players prefer this setup (Federer runs gut mains, poly cross), but durability is much less.

Boricua
03-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Oops, realized I didn't really answer your question.

A: Stick with polys as a main. :D

Would you also say that gut is better as a cross than multifilament. If that is so, would Tonic do the job or any ther or is VS the best even as a cross. I am worried that the poly main will not last so long and using VS as a gut is somewhat expensive for us mortals.:)

What can you say?

JT_2eighty
03-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Pacific classic at $27 or genesis gut at $26 are great for poly hybrids, as main or cross. I agree babolat gut is too pricey for most of us, plus the crisper guts of pac and gen (or even performaxx if you decide), compliment poly quite well.

parasailing
03-14-2011, 11:18 PM
I still think Poly mains and gut crosses is wasting half a set of natural gut string unless you find a good poly that has good tension maintenance and does not quickly become stiff and boardy.

dnation
03-16-2011, 03:38 AM
I agree. Multi/gut doesnt feel right. I was hoping to get more topspin with softness and feel but its the opposite. Weird.
Stick to Poly/multi or poly/poly for max spin if u can afford the gut/poly combo..