PDA

View Full Version : What ruined my racket, gut, gague or tension?

levy1
03-14-2011, 04:26 PM
I strung my new sticks with Klip natural gut mains 18ga and Isospeed Professional 17ga crosses. I have used the Klip 18ga many times and like it. First racket was strung at 55/58 and the second at 52/55 as I was told to string the Isospeed a little higher because it immediately loses tension. Both rackets had a crisp feel, very deep pocketing and excellent control. I kept going back to the 55/58 setup feeling the 52/55 had a little more power then I wanted. I like the crisp feel.
I restrung the 52/55 setup with my first set of Pacific Classic 17ga gut and X1 Biphase 18ga crosses at 55lbs. Mushy feel, no control compared to my Klip/Isospeed setup.

What is making this setup so bad, the changing of the gauges for the crosses and mains? Going from the Klip 18 to the pacific 17? The Biphase vs the Isospeed?

thebeast73
03-14-2011, 04:42 PM
all of those are probably factors. its all preference. i personally hate biphase so try that setup with a different multi and see how u like.

levy1
03-14-2011, 04:45 PM
all of those are probably factors. its all preference. i personally hate biphase so try that setup with a different multi and see how u like.

So you don't think the switch from Klip 18 to Pacific 17 had much to do with it.
I still have a half set of the Pacific and a set of Rip Control I could use.

scotus
03-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Next time try to introduce only one variable at a time, so you can know for sure which one is the culprit.

levy1
03-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Next time try to introduce only one variable at a time, so you can know for sure which one is the culprit.

Good thought but I still need the answers.

wrxtotoro
03-14-2011, 06:54 PM
I used both NG before and I think Klip is more crisp than Pacific at the same tension. I used to use Klip 18 at 60 lb full bed and I have to string Pacific 17 at 62 lb to keep the shots under control...

Not too sure about X1 against Isospeed though as I have never used Isospeed. I thought X1 is known to be high power, no?

levy1
03-15-2011, 04:15 PM
I used both NG before and I think Klip is more crisp than Pacific at the same tension. I used to use Klip 18 at 60 lb full bed and I have to string Pacific 17 at 62 lb to keep the shots under control...

Not too sure about X1 against Isospeed though as I have never used Isospeed. I thought X1 is known to be high power, no?

I would say it is high power. But it is also buttery to me which is the last thing I want. I like the crisp feel. I hate to waste the Pacific so I will string the two half sets I have at 3lbs up and see if that helps. If not I will go back to the klip 18 and Isospeed 17.

000KFACTOR90000
03-15-2011, 04:46 PM
I would say that the isospeed pro has a unique construction and feel. (havent tried pacific gut)

baek57
03-15-2011, 04:50 PM
The mushier feel is likely from going from klip to pacific. If my memory serves correct the pacific is a softer string than the klip. Your mains also contribute most to the feel of the racquet as well. Just stick to the klip as you've found something you like. It's also a fairly common hybrid people use on these boards.