PDA

View Full Version : RPM Blast...complaints?!

TennisNewb
03-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Ok here is my setup. I ordered a 2nd APDGT about 3 weeks ago. I have read all the complaints about RPM and how "it looses tension so quickly," "isn't worth a flip the next day," etc.
I decided to have my racquet sent strung with it anyway, just to try it out. I had it strung at 62. The first time I hit with it I loved it. The second time I hit with it I loved it. After logging 20 hours on the string I still love it. The only problem is it's to expensive.

I hit HEAVY topspin and enjoy a slice backhand here and there. I'm pretty rough on strings is what I'm getting at. I'm not feeling this "tension dropoff" that most complain about. The only complaint I have is it cost to much so I'm going to order a reel of Volkl Cyclone for half the price.

Do you guys just love restringing that much, or love paying to have it restrung, or can you really not adjust you game a hair to combat MINOR tension loss?

J_aces
03-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Over 2 weeks RPM went 56 to about 40 lbs. Weisscannon B5E/gosen went 54/57 to about 52 in same amount of time. BIG difference

TennisNewb
03-14-2011, 05:12 PM
I mean I haven't and probably won't check my tension because it isn't that important to me. I string high for the control. I have however, not notice a bit of difference in my strokes and the ball always dies at the far baseline driving the guys I play nuts. It just seems odd that people can't make a little adjustment and HAVE to have it restrung. Whatever floats your boat though I suppose, I'll play with it until it breaks...maybe I'm just cheap.

J_aces
03-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Well I play with it for a while until it really feels terrible which is I think kinda close to when its going to break anyway. The cost is too much though so Im looking for something else as well

TennisNewb
03-14-2011, 05:25 PM
I've heard Volkl Cyclone was a great alternative, and it's half the price, so that's what I'm heading towards. Good luck on your search.

DrewRafter8
03-14-2011, 05:30 PM
I've used two sets of RPM in the mains of my APDC over the past month. Cyclone is the best in my opinion if you're going for something very similar. Cyclone may be a bit more crisp. If you want a softer alternative, try Typhoon in gray. Holds tension better then RPM or Cyclone.

TennisNewb
03-14-2011, 05:31 PM
I can't have those goofy colors in my APDGT, it would drive me insane.

rofl_copter3
03-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Signum pro tornado is a very good alternative in every way

cjk1026
03-15-2011, 06:47 AM
Attended a USTPA string seminar and sat in on a talk given by a rep from Babolat (got there a little late and didn't catch his name, heavy french? accent, VERY informative!). He basically said that RPM Blast has a coating on it that accounts for the extremely high spin it puts on the ball, but after a short time (20 minutes on average), the coating is gone and it pretty much becomes similar to many other poly strings.

One point the speaker emphatically made was that poly stringjobs will NEVER recover tension lost due to heating (left in car on hot day, etc.). Other strings also lose tension due to heating, but will recover some or most when cooled. I now keep my string reels indoors and my racquets either indoors or in the shade.

TennisNewb
03-15-2011, 07:17 AM
Interesting cjk. Thanks for the input. I always take my racquet bag in after playing. While on court the racquets are always in the aero line thermo pocket on the 12 pack. I guess I've always played with regular polys (PH & PHT) so I just didn't notice the difference when it dropped off (if in fact it has)