PDA

View Full Version : Help find me a string that meets all of my needs!

travlerajm
03-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Please read my requirements before recommending:

My current string combo is Ashaway Kevlar 16 mains with Prince Tournament Poly 16 cross, at medium low tension.

So far, this combo does the best at meeting my needs, and no other string has come even close.

Must-haves:
1. It's gotta have durability. If it's going to break before I get 40 hours of play, I don't want to know about it. So no 17g dental floss please! I'm a 4.5-5.0 player, and I chew through most 17g strings in an hour or two. I definitely need the main string to be something tough.

2. It's gotta remain playable for many, many hours. If it starts to feel dead or lose its bite after 10, 20, 30, or even 40 hours of play, then it's not for me. I tried Lux ALU, and liked it a lot for the first hour, then hated by the time I got to the 2nd hour because control disappeared. Also tried SPPP, which felt fine for a few hours, then started to get spongy and springy. I really hate the inconvenience of needing to restring all the time. I want to know that my racquet is always ready to go.

3. It's gotta bite the ball well. My current combo is more spin-friendly than anything else I've tried. Willing to sacrifice a little on this, but not much.

Extra Desire:
The one area where my current string combo could be improved is POWER. I love my Kevlar/Poly combo for control, durability, extended playability, and spin, but it is what most would consider a low-powered string. It would be nice to get a little extra boost of power to make my serves a little more explosive.

kiteboard
03-14-2011, 07:54 PM
16g Ash. kev. mains, with a powerful cross, like tour bite, but in a thicker gauge.

rodrigoamaral
03-14-2011, 08:53 PM
natural gut!!

COPEY
03-14-2011, 09:47 PM
If you haven't already done so, take the time to perfect your technique before embarking on a search for a string that gives you more mphs on your serve. Quite frankly, if that's the only thing you lack in your game with respect to the string combination you're currently using, I'd say you were in pretty good shape.

I'm not trying to be negative here, and I certainly understand that Kevlar is an extremely low powered string, but I'd lay money that a guy like Raonic could still crank up the heat using your stick. It's not just that he's probably bigger & stronger; the guy's mechanics are silky-smooth.

Many years ago when I was still active duty Air Force, I entered a racquetball tourney (no indoor courts at the base I was assigned to, so I played racqueteball during the winter), knowing full well I'd be going up against pure racquetball players. I made it to the semi-finals, and when I stepoed into the court with my $29.95 Walmart special, and the guy looks at me and snickers. He then asks if I ever played with "one of these", as he holds up his Ektelon CBK, which at the time was one of the top-of-the-line sticks for that game. I told him I was a tennis player who merely dabbled with racquetball. Cutting to the chase, he lost, and it didn't matter that he had $225 racquet, Ektelon shoes, and 5 gloves tied to his bag drying out. I'd played the game for several years and had acquired quite a few skills; I just didn't have a fancy gear because it wasn't my sport.

Anyway, you get the picture. Good luck!

travlerajm
03-15-2011, 12:58 AM
16g Ash. kev. mains, with a powerful cross, like tour bite, but in a thicker gauge.

This is kind of the direction I was thinking of testing out (sticking with the Kevlar 16 main and trying a more powerful poly cross.

One reason I really like the Prince Tournament Poly in the cross is that it has a really slick, lubricious surface. This allows the Kevlar mains to slide freely, and the lateral string movement generates a lot of spin.

Question:
What are some "powerful" poly strings that have this lubricious slick surface? - it needs to be slick all the way through to the core, so that it stays slick and spin-friendly as it wears. Is Tour Bite slick like that?

mikeler
03-15-2011, 06:20 AM
A string that lasts 40 hours for a 4.5/5.0 player? I used to play with Prince Pro Blend and use string savers. At the 20 hour mark, balls just started going long all the time and I had to cut out the strings. I suspect if you pay attention to your play as the strings age, you'll find that you are not playing your best tennis. Just my 2 cents.

travlerajm
03-15-2011, 07:12 PM
A string that lasts 40 hours for a 4.5/5.0 player? I used to play with Prince Pro Blend and use string savers. At the 20 hour mark, balls just started going long all the time and I had to cut out the strings. I suspect if you pay attention to your play as the strings age, you'll find that you are not playing your best tennis. Just my 2 cents.

I used Problend for almost 20 years. I liked Problend best after about 20 hours of play. It got softer and more powerful, and the control actually increased.

I liked it best in the 70 lb range.

kiteboard
03-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Pro blend prince was orig. strung with response as a cross, and I still have a partial reel of it. HIt ten aces in a match, in Reno with it.

BigT
03-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Please let us know when you find a string set-up that plays well for 40 hours of play.

COPEY
03-15-2011, 08:53 PM
____lol____

travlerajm
03-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Not sure sure why no one believes?

My Kevlar/Poly combo in my current stick (a 13-oz. O3 Red) has been in there for 6 months - probably has 60+ hours of play on it, and it still plays great.

I don't understand why folks like to play with string that only plays well for a few hours - I really don't get it.

mikeler
03-16-2011, 05:21 AM

My Kevlar/Poly combo in my current stick (a 13-oz. O3 Red) has been in there for 6 months - probably has 60+ hours of play on it, and it still plays great.

I don't understand why folks like to play with string that only plays well for a few hours - I really don't get it.

Some of us are more sensitive to the feel of our strings. It sounds like you are not like that which is great because you save a lot of money.

nickarnold2000
03-16-2011, 06:10 AM

This setup doesn't sound very arm friendly.

Consolation
03-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Going dead isn't really a problem, you just need to find a poly that you like when it's dead. You like the way kevlar plays, which has near zero elasticity (2-3% elongation before break), so not sure why a dead poly is a no-no. You obviously would need to string the poly a lot tighter initially so it's tension was where you like it once it's dead (typical spontaneous poly elongation ends at ~10%).

I'd suggest picking a popular poly, doesn't really matter, pre-stretch significantly several times and play with it a bit.

It's very unlikely you'll find anything that plays better, but you can probably find something that plays similar but is softer.

You're going to have to spend a long time searching though, cause most people don't specifically review dead polys.