PDA

View Full Version : Next Step in My Stringing Journey

WDuncan09
03-15-2011, 05:41 AM
I am some what new to tennis, been playing competitively in a league for about a year now(Playing over all for 4). I am a Solid 3.0(according to the comp/pro) but play 3.5 to build my skill. I currently play Prince Synthetic Gut at 55#, as that seems to be the go to starter string. I love the feel and pop that the gives and really the overall performance.

My only disappointment is durabillity(may not be the right term). Thus far in the last 6 months as I have began to play more in my leagues (2 matches a week, plus 1-2 practice matches a week with friends). I have noticed that in 2 weeks or so my crossed start moving all over.

What I am looking for is something with good feel that will help me generate power but would hopefully extend the life of my strings. I am not sure if I need to move to poly or maybe just move to a different Syn Gut or possibly a multi. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Nuke
03-15-2011, 05:47 AM
Since you want feel, power and resistance to movement, you probably want a SOFT poly. Topspin Cyber Blue or Tourna Big Hitter Blue (they're probably the same string) should be good for you.

Hominator
03-15-2011, 06:02 AM
I am some what new to tennis, been playing competitively in a league for about a year now(Playing over all for 4). I am a Solid 3.0(according to the comp/pro) but play 3.5 to build my skill. I currently play Prince Synthetic Gut at 55#, as that seems to be the go to starter string. I love the feel and pop that the gives and really the overall performance.

My only disappointment is durabillity(may not be the right term). Thus far in the last 6 months as I have began to play more in my leagues (2 matches a week, plus 1-2 practice matches a week with friends). I have noticed that in 2 weeks or so my crossed start moving all over.

What I am looking for is something with good feel that will help me generate power but would hopefully extend the life of my strings. I am not sure if I need to move to poly or maybe just move to a different Syn Gut or possibly a multi. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

If you're looking for power and feel, you may want to try Babolat Excel, which is a multi. Great feel and pocketing.

BTW, I find it odd that your crosses are moving. Usually it's the mains that move from topspin or slice...

mikeler
03-15-2011, 06:04 AM
Use your fingers to move the string back into place. It helps with your concentration between points.

mikeler
03-15-2011, 06:05 AM
If you're looking for power and feel, you may want to try Babolat Excel, which is a multi. Great feel and pocketing.

BTW, I find it odd that your crosses are moving. Usually it's the mains that move from topspin or slice...

I'm using Tecnifibre X-one Biphase 16 right now and the crosses are moving more than the mains so far.

WDuncan09
03-15-2011, 06:12 AM

I was wondering what was up with that as well as most everything I have read supports your theory. But sure enough as mentioned above my crosses lately have been moving more than my main.

Also in reference to moving my strings back, I do this between points. But I am also a bit of a perfectionist so sometimes I feel like I take much longer than I should. :)

Carolina Racquet
03-15-2011, 06:29 AM
You can move to another string, but sounds like you're more concerned with the string movement than playability. Because the strings are starting to move some doesn't mean they're "shot".

Keep in mind poly plays very different than the string you're currently using. Usually plays stiffer and is more appropriate for a player who plays with more spin and is seeking spin enhancement and/or durability.

If you like the feel of your current string, you might want to insert some string savers. This will prohibit some movement and should enhance durability. These products can be found on TW's site on the same page as the manufacturer's string.

WDuncan09
03-16-2011, 07:18 PM
So played with my same racket(recently purchased a second) strung with rpm blast at 60# today. I was amazed. I really like being able to take big full swings and being able to count on that it would stay. While I was a bit more powerful with the syn gut the general accuracy and consistency of this string was great. I was very accurate on all my ground strokes and serves. The only downside was my arm was really tired after a set and a half. I am wondering if I could find something somewhere in between, leaning more blast but more arm friendly and possibly to help me with power a bit.

Nuke
03-17-2011, 05:36 AM
A SOFT poly (see post #2), and don't string it so tightly. 60 pounds is a bit high for most polys. Try 50-55 pounds.