PDA

View Full Version : Is XOne Biphase closest multi to natural gut?

JackB1
03-15-2011, 06:40 AM
There are plenty of multi's out there that claim to play like natural gut.
Is XOne the one that most closely emulates natural gut? I know "nothing plays like gut", but which is closest? There seems to be many threads asking this question, but there doesn't ever seem to be a clear cut answer.
There HAS TO BE ONE multi that plays reasonably close to gut! Is it TF's XOne?

Also, if I string my nat gut/copoly hybrid at 58/54, would I set the tension the same for Xone/copoly? Is XOne more or less powerful than natural gut?
BTW, I am using Head gut and it's nice and crisp and not too powerful.

BagelMe
03-15-2011, 07:27 AM
Sorry to say this, but nothing compares to natural gut. Regardless, XOne is a great string, although it is a bit too powerful for my taste. Haven't used a high end multi in a while....but I remember Babolat XCel Premium was pretty awesome. Also, Technifibre NRG2 is really good for hybrids.

JT_2eighty
03-15-2011, 07:41 AM
If you like the playability of gut/poly, you will not like the playability of X1/poly.

1) Although X1 is powerful (kind of like gut) and soft (somewhat like gut), it has such a rough, almost sticky texture that creates a lot of notching and string movement. Coupled with poly, it will not slide back and forth along the crosses in the way that gut does. Also, gut's unmatched Resilience and Elasticity make it untouchable by even the best multi. Even a multi like Recoil (low friction) or Excel (powerful elasticity) will eventually lose their playability long before gut would have.

2) X1 and other Premium multis (the ones "closest" to gut), sell for $16 - $20... Even guts priced at $25-$30 are worth that extra $10-15 (IMO), because in a hybrid, that's only $5-$7.50 more per racquet for MUCH more playability.

If that $5-$8 per stick is too pricey still, then start looking at gaucho, global or unifibre guts. Even those in hybrids outperform multi/poly. (I've used Unifibre/16g $2 poly x and it still allowed for some incredible spin and playability, compared to syn gut and multi setups.

JackB1
03-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Sorry to say this, but nothing compares to natural gut. Regardless, XOne is a great string, although it is a bit too powerful for my taste. Haven't used a high end multi in a while....but I remember Babolat XCel Premium was pretty awesome. Also, Technifibre NRG2 is really good for hybrids.

I just researched and the strings that come up most often when looking for something closest to natural gut are:

-XOne Biphase
-Quasi Gut
-Mantis Comfort Syn
-Gamma Prof'l
-NXT Tour

Just to be clear, I am looking for a string that most closely mimicks the "way gut plays", so when I switch out from my gut/copoly hybrid, to this multi/copoly hybrid, there is little adjustment needed. Thanks

JackB1
03-15-2011, 07:46 AM
If you like the playability of gut/poly, you will not like the playability of X1/poly.

1) Although X1 is powerful (kind of like gut) and soft (somewhat like gut), it has such a rough, almost sticky texture that creates a lot of notching and string movement. Coupled with poly, it will not slide back and forth along the crosses in the way that gut does. Also, gut's unmatched Resilience and Elasticity make it untouchable by even the best multi. Even a multi like Recoil (low friction) or Excel (powerful elasticity) will eventually lose their playability long before gut would have.

2) X1 and other Premium multis (the ones "closest" to gut), sell for $16 - $20... Even guts priced at $25-$30 are worth that extra $10-15 (IMO), because in a hybrid, that's only $5-$7.50 more per racquet for MUCH more playability.

If that $5-$8 per stick is too pricey still, then start looking at gaucho, global or unifibre guts. Even those in hybrids outperform multi/poly. (I've used Unifibre/16g $2 poly x and it still allowed for some incredible spin and playability, compared to syn gut and multi setups.

Not an option....I just want something to hybrid with copoly crosses for my "wet weather" racquet. You made a good point about XOne's rough surface.
I guess I would want a smooth multi then? Mantis CS feels VERY smooth to me. I guess I could try that?

JT_2eighty
03-15-2011, 07:49 AM
Maybe Prince Recoil; on paper it sounds the best because IME most multis with poly just don't snap back after the initial break-in. MCS is also worth a shot.

JackB1
03-15-2011, 08:05 AM
Maybe Prince Recoil; on paper it sounds the best because IME most multis with poly just don't snap back after the initial break-in. MCS is also worth a shot.

Recoil doesn't seem to have been too well received and it's been out for quite a while.

mikeler
03-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Recoil doesn't seem to have been too well received and it's been out for quite a while.

I'll be trying it out next week.

Macro80
03-15-2011, 10:04 AM

X2 in my experience and after 18 years or restringing my rackets nothing is even close to natural gut.

parasailing
03-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Recoil feels a bit stiff even when I strung this in a hybrid setup based on what others here suggested that it would produce more spin given it's Gore Tex coating.

I find that the slippery coating wears off quickly and the string was nothing spectacular as a cross with natural gut in the mains.

mikeler
03-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Recoil feels a bit stiff even when I strung this in a hybrid setup based on what others here suggested that it would produce more spin given it's Gore Tex coating.

I find that the slippery coating wears off quickly and the string was nothing spectacular as a cross with natural gut in the mains.

Do you think the coating would stay on better in a full job?

JackB1
03-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Guys...forget Recoil. That's not a replacement for natural gut.

How about some of the other choices?

-Quasi Gut
-Mantis Comfort Syn
-Gamma Prof'l
-NXT Tour

JT_2eighty
03-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Have you tried recoil? Honestly, the rest are going to be lackluster as well. You're better off with poly/multi, and use MCS for $$ since this is a backup anyway. Multi/poly is just a let down in every way.

Gut these days has great coating, should be fine in damp conditions, unless you play during a downpour. :confused:

Keifers
03-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Each falls (far) short of gut in different ways, but look at:

-LF SuperNatural Pro Stock
-NXT Tour
-Gamma Professional

The owner of a local tennis shop says ALL of his high-level, highly experienced players who use gut default to Professional during the wet season.

parasailing
03-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Have you tried recoil? Honestly, the rest are going to be lackluster as well. You're better off with poly/multi, and use MCS for $$ since this is a backup anyway. Multi/poly is just a let down in every way.

Gut these days has great coating, should be fine in damp conditions, unless you play during a downpour. :confused:

I played with VS Touch gut when the conditions were wet and the strings were destroyed after half an hour in the rain :(. I could see the strings gets soggy and shredding not a pretty sight.

mikeler
03-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Each falls (far) short of gut in different ways, but look at:

-LF SuperNatural Pro Stock
-NXT Tour
-Gamma Professional

The owner of a local tennis shop says ALL of his high-level, highly experienced players who use gut default to Professional during the wet season.

How does NXT Tour compare to Gamma Pro?

Djokolate
Guys...forget Recoil. That's not a replacement for natural gut.

How about some of the other choices?

-Quasi Gut
-Mantis Comfort Syn
-Gamma Prof'l
-NXT Tour

Isn't NXT Tour just rebranded Teccy X-One?

royfrombigd
There are plenty of multi's out there that claim to play like natural gut.
Is XOne the one that most closely emulates natural gut? I know "nothing plays like gut", but which is closest? There seems to be many threads asking this question, but there doesn't ever seem to be a clear cut answer.
There HAS TO BE ONE multi that plays reasonably close to gut! Is it TF's XOne?

Also, if I string my nat gut/copoly hybrid at 58/54, would I set the tension the same for Xone/copoly? Is XOne more or less powerful than natural gut?
BTW, I am using Head gut and it's nice and crisp and not too powerful.

I switched from gut to NRG2 because I wanted to try an 18 gauge string. I love it, but I'll be honest that I haven't tried any of the others mentioned. I do think you should at least try TF's NRG2 as I feel it plays close to gut and is pretty darn durable for the gauge I use.

JackB1
03-15-2011, 01:15 PM

I use Head gut and it's only got a light coating....much less than VS. I heard it gets ruined pretty easily when wet, so I don't want to chance it.

JackB1
03-15-2011, 01:17 PM
Isn't NXT Tour just rebranded Teccy X-One?

highly doubt Wilson would rebrand anything of Technifibre's.

besides, they have pretty different feel....NXT Tour is much more crisp and also lower powered.

JackB1
03-15-2011, 01:18 PM

useful info. I think I will give Gamma Prof'l a shot.

Keifers
03-15-2011, 02:16 PM
How does NXT Tour compare to Gamma Pro?
Professional is softer, pockets nicely. Tour feels noticeably crisper. Gut of course pockets beautifully AND is nice and crisp.

Keifers
03-15-2011, 02:34 PM
I switched from gut to NRG2 because I wanted to try an 18 gauge string. I love it, but I'll be honest that I haven't tried any of the others mentioned. I do think you should at least try TF's NRG2 as I feel it plays close to gut and is pretty darn durable for the gauge I use.
I have NRG2 18 in my MW 200G. It's a very nice string.

(Probably won't last too long as mains with co-poly crosses, I'm suspecting.)

mrmo1115
03-15-2011, 02:35 PM
I personally have switched from VS Touch to X1 Biphase.
Although I agree with a poster saying there is a big jump in power, I think you'd be fine in using it as a replacement for Gut.

I stopped using Gut mainly for the price... as a constant restringer because of my mains going dead (PHT).

I tried NRG before but I personally prefer X1B

JackB1
03-15-2011, 02:39 PM
I personally have switched from VS Touch to X1 Biphase.
Although I agree with a poster saying there is a big jump in power, I think you'd be fine in using it as a replacement for Gut.

Which is more powerful? X1 or VS?

JackB1
03-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Professional is softer, pockets nicely. Tour feels noticeably crisper. Gut of course pockets beautifully AND is nice and crisp.

Wouldn't than make NXT Tour more like gut? Crisp AND soft?

mrmo1115
03-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Which is more powerful? X1 or VS?

The X1 is by far a lot more powerful. The feeling is different when you hit with both strings even if they are only in a hybrid (I cross the X1). You get more of a "ping" noise and it comes off your racquet faster than the VS IMO.

Overall definitely more pop with the X1 than the VS. Control is still pretty good in my opinion. Sometimes the X1 gives off a plasticy feel but thats only because it takes an hour or two to break in, when with VS, its good to go right off the bat.

I also tried NRG before, but didn't really like the control I received from the NRG. Feel like the X1 is just a better overall string.

Oh and one more thing, I'm looking to tame the power slightly as well as gain a bit more durability with the X1, so I'm going to look to the 16 Gauge as an alternative to the current 17 Gauge I use now. That's just my personal situation though.

Can anyone confirm that going down from 17 to 16 Gauge on the X1 will give me both more durability as well as reducing the power level a bit?

Keifers
03-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Wouldn't than make NXT Tour more like gut? Crisp AND soft?
Nope. I said that gut is crisp AND soft.

parasailing
03-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Can anyone confirm that going down from 17 to 16 Gauge on the X1 will give me both more durability as well as reducing the power level a bit?

It did not fray as quickly and did last a few hours longer when I used 16 gauge but I can't remember if power was reduced. It was one of the first strings I used. I tried 16, 17, and 18 and feel gauge increasing gauge does reduce durability and vice versa.

rofl_copter3
03-15-2011, 09:11 PM
ISOSpeed professional is as close as I've found... It's really powerful and pockets well but lacks some control

mctennis
03-15-2011, 09:34 PM
I'd be leery of any Gamma strings. For me I get about 3 hours before they are completely dead in my racquet. I've tried a lot of Gamma string they've made over the years ( at the urging of my stringer). He'd give me the strings to try out. I can't get any useful life out of them. Maybe others get more life out of Gamma strings.

mikeler
03-16-2011, 05:27 AM
I'd be leery of any Gamma strings. For me I get about 3 hours before they are completely dead in my racquet. I've tried a lot of Gamma string they've made over the years ( at the urging of my stringer). He'd give me the strings to try out. I can't get any useful life out of them. Maybe others get more life out of Gamma strings.

I have a Gamma stringer and was not impressed with most of the free strings they provided. With that said, I have not tried their high end strings yet.

Specky
03-16-2011, 10:44 AM
you will like the X-1 -- soft, easy on the arm. but let's be clear -- it is not gut but still an enjoyable string to hybrid with a poly.

Gamma LW prof breaks way too easily, especially the 18

TennisCJC
03-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Agree with others, even the very good multi's are not quite as good as gut, X1B is a very good multi but I don't think it is the best to hybrid with poly. NRG2 is a better multi to hybrid as its' friction coefficient is a bit lower. NRG2 slides more and notches less than X1B. Gut also slides more and notches less than X1. I was using copoly 17G/nrg2 16G multi hybrid in one racket and copoly 17G/bab tonic 16G gut hybrid in other racket and they were close. The multi was for damp weather and practice and the gut was for leauge matches and good weather. I am dropping the gut because it cost too much and sticking with NRG2 and Dunlop Comfort multi now.

Boricua
03-18-2011, 06:54 AM
highly doubt Wilson would rebrand anything of Technifibre's.

besides, they have pretty different feel....NXT Tour is much more crisp and also lower powered.

You prefer NXT Tour over Biphase?

JackB1
03-18-2011, 07:02 AM
You prefer NXT Tour over Biphase?

I haven't tried both in a long time, but I do remember NXT Tour being much crisper feeling than X1 and also lower powered.

JT_2eighty
03-18-2011, 07:06 AM
I haven't tried both in a long time, but I do remember NXT Tour being much crisper feeling than X1 and also lower powered.

Agreed. Although I've tried them not in the same racquet, X1 is much softer and has more power than NXT Tour. Also, having strung them both, they are definitely way different from each other, the coating is completely different with X1 being almost sticky and NXT Tour very smooth like syn gut; NXT Tour much easier to string as well.

Steve Huff
03-19-2011, 01:46 PM
I've tried X-1, NXT, Gamma Professional, and others, as well as my normal natural gut. In my opinion, Head Fibergel Power 17 plays the closest to a 16g natural gut of the ones I've tried. Another one is Alpha Sphere. The Sphere feels different, but the results are more like that of natural gut than most of the others I've tried. Gamma Professional is soft, but doesn't lift the ball like gut. X-1 felt dead to me. NRG2 feels more like natural gut than the X-1. I used to like Laserfibre Supreme, but it's so hard to come by these days.