PDA

View Full Version : BLX Six.One 18x20 String Options

Mockys2k
03-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Hello...

This is my first time posting so if I used the search (but not well enough) my apologies in advance...

I am a 4.0/4.5 player that made the switch from the Roddick GT Plus to a Six.One 18x20. I use a mix of Black Code 18g main/Pro Mix 17g cross at 58lbs. When I made the switch to Six.One, I used the same setup.

Groundstrokes feel great and volleys feel great with this combination in the Six.One... I am much more consistant and I feel like I'm not "launching" the ball like I had a tendency to do with the Babolat...I feel much more comfortable hitting out on the ball with the Six.One and my volleys feel much more crisp.

I am, however, lacking pop and kick in one major component of my game... Serve.....it feels (and I've been told it is), significantly slower, and my kick serve both down the T (deuce side), and out wide (on the ad side) are definitely lacking...

Before I start researching the option of possibly making another racquet switch (which I'd prefer not to do)...I was curious if anyone had any recommendations .... maybe chang up the string ? Tension? Keep in mind, my biggest concern with dropping tension is the consistancy I am currently enjoying hitting out and not worrying about the ball leaving fuzz on the backstop ;)

Sorry for the long first post... long time lurker, first time poster :)

greystar403
03-15-2011, 07:48 AM
weiss cannon scorpion 1.22...

-maintains tension LIKE NO OTHER

-17L gauge for extra spin (thinner guage better for dense string pattern)

-very soft for a poly

just one thing...string it 1-3lbs lower because it can take a while to break into...probably the AMAZING TENSION HOLD!!

brownbearfalling
03-15-2011, 08:52 AM
As for string options, I would recommend a stiffer 18g poly. Stiffer poly = more pop. Personally, I like weisscannon silver string. If you want to stick with tecnifibre strings, try red code 18g.

I think the real problem is the racquet though. The pure drive has a lot more pop than the blx. So it might just be an aspect that you have to cope with or continue your search for your holy grail like many others have done.

Mockys2k
03-15-2011, 09:18 AM
I have a feeling that's the case as well. I went froma kblade 98 to the Roddick and I missed the ability to whip the ball.. I originally intended on going with a lighter frame but felt so good hitting groundstrokes and volleys that I went the opposite direction and went with the blx six.one.

I wonder if I should try the BLX Blade98 and see if that helps.. or perhaps the regular GT and not the heavier Roddick version.

I will also look into the Weisscannon silver string...

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Weiss_CANNON_Silverstring_120_String/descpageACGLORY-WCS120.html

or

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Weiss_CANNON_Scorpion_122_String/descpageACGLORY-WCSC122.html

Thanks!

smucker007
03-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Well the Roddick GT Plus is 27.5 inches whereas the 6.1 95 is 27 inches long..this may account for pretty much everything you are talking about. It would be hard to duplicate the extra 0.5 inch from the extended racquet. If you want more headspeed, try getting the balance of the racquet to more head light.

Torres
03-15-2011, 02:50 PM
This is a tricky one because serves are all about racquet head speed and that's more racquet and technique dependent than strings IMO.

That said, if you want some more pop, how about having the promix in the mains and the blackcode in the crosses? I've had a similar combination in my 6.1 - multifeel mains and blackcode crosses - and it plays well until the multi/poly starts losing too much tension (though tension loss on the multi can be arrested by prestretching it by 15-20%).

Mockys2k
03-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Agree.. racquet speed is definitely something I was thinking about when I was originally trying to understand where the lack of "pop" and kick on the serve was occuring.

I looked at the headlight portion as well but my concern is, the BLX is 8pt headlight ( http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_BLX_SixOne_95_18x20/descpageRCWILSON-61BX18.html ) .

What makes a bigger difference in racquet speed when coming to serve.. Headlight or racquet weight... or.. length (or I guess...a combination of all three)..

The Roddick GT Plus was .5 longer, 11.7oz, 7pts headlight, and 336 swingweight... and BLX was swingweight: 338, 8pts headlight, 12.2oz long.

I thougt I was pretty close... hence my thought, maybe string first..

sorry for all the rambling... still trying to understand what to do... perhaps this is more a racquet question now than a string question.... :confused: