PDA

View Full Version : Biphase- Good for topspin?

Boricua
03-15-2011, 07:52 AM
I currently use soft copolys and like to generate topspin.

I am aware that polys are the best for spin, but could Biphase be an option if I am looking for comfort?:)

What tension do you recommend?

greystar403
03-15-2011, 08:03 AM
depends on your racquet...

i prefer having lower tensions on denser string patterns and heavier racquets...

and the thing about biphase...its GREAT for the first couple of hours of play but its starts to die out later on...

and from what ive heard its durability decreases as your string guage gets thinner...

id give it a try because i heard its one of the closest strings you can get to gut :)

mikeler
03-15-2011, 09:08 AM
I currently use soft copolys and like to generate topspin.

I am aware that polys are the best for spin, but could Biphase be an option if I am looking for comfort?:)

What tension do you recommend?

Like I said in my thread, give us more info and maybe we can make an educated guess about what tension and gauge to try.

parasailing
03-15-2011, 09:19 AM
For me, I find polys produce more topspin than I could ever multis including Biphase X1. I know it's supposedly technique that improves you spin and strings should just be a small part but I find when I hit with poly, I get way more topspin on the ball.

mikeler
03-15-2011, 09:33 AM
For me, I find polys produce more topspin than I could ever multis including Biphase X1. I know it's supposedly technique that improves you spin and strings should just be a small part but I find when I hit with poly, I get way more topspin on the ball.

The difference is noticeable for me too. For arm health, I don't have a choice though. :(

JT_2eighty
03-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Looks like 16x10 X-1 produces some great spin... up there with polys, per the latest TWU article...

Although, I would assume directional control is going to be very difficult. Still, interesting read.

Boricua
03-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Like I said in my thread, give us more info and maybe we can make an educated guess about what tension and gauge to try.

Hi! I am a baseliner, who uses a western grip in the forehand side; in the forehand side I ususlly hit with topspin. I combine topspin and slice in my backhand.

I use a Yonex VCore S, a new racket that just came out. it is 100 sq. inches, 11.1 weight, 306 swingweight and 4 pts head light; it has a 68 stiffness rating. If you need more information please ask. Thank you.:)

Boricua
03-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Hi! I am a baseliner, who uses a western grip in the forehand side; in the forehand side I ususlly hit with topspin. I combine topspin and slice in my backhand.

I use a Yonex VCore S, a new racket that just came out. it is 100 sq. inches, 11.1 weight, 306 swingweight and 4 pts head light; it has a 68 stiffness rating. If you need more information please ask. Thank you.:)

Also, I am a 4.5 player and play aggresive with pretty good defense..

JackB1
03-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Most multi's are about the same for topspin...adequate. Proper technique can add a lot more though. Also, u could try hybriding a multi mains with a poly cross or use a "textured" multi like Gripper or Hexy Fiber.

Boricua
03-15-2011, 10:47 AM
depends on your racquet...

i prefer having lower tensions on denser string patterns and heavier racquets...

and the thing about biphase...its GREAT for the first couple of hours of play but its starts to die out later on...

and from what ive heard its durability decreases as your string guage gets thinner...

id give it a try because i heard its one of the closest strings you can get to gut :)

Its start to die after two hours, but when does it get critical and they are no good?

It seems that every string has its ups and downs. For example, polys- good for spin but lack of feel; multis- good feel but die or break fast; gut- good feel and tension maintenance but to much power, expensive, lack of spin and break fast.
Its quite confusing sometimes!::???:

Boricua
03-15-2011, 10:49 AM

But what about comfort and feel?:)

Boricua
03-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Bagdhatis uses Biphase and Djockovic used it for some time in the past. If these top pros use it, I assume it should be good.:)

parasailing
03-15-2011, 11:50 AM
But what about comfort and feel?:)

Yeah if you want X1 for comfort, it's a great string and feel is better than polys. I have been testing out some softer copolys and while they have their drawbacks, I find string manufacturers are trying to improve in that category.

If you have arm issues, stick with multi or natural gut.

mikeler
03-15-2011, 11:59 AM
OP, what surface do you typically play on and what is the weather like where you live. As you know, I think X1 is the best multi out there. It looks to me like it will last a while too.

Boricua
03-15-2011, 12:07 PM
OP, what surface do you typically play on and what is the weather like where you live. As you know, I think X1 is the best multi out there. It looks to me like it will last a while too.

I play in hard courts over in Puerto Rico. This is a tropical island where sun and rain combine. Also. could get kind of humid sometimes.

In winter we have 60-80 farenheit and in summer 80-100.:)

mikeler
03-15-2011, 12:13 PM
I play in hard courts over in Puerto Rico. This is a tropical island where sun and rain combine. Also. could get kind of humid sometimes.

In winter we have 60-80 farenheit and in summer 80-100.:)

OK, our weather is a little cooler than yours in the winter but most times of the year about the same. Hot and humid. I find that string breakage is worse in the cooler weather which you don't have much of. I think Biphase 16 is worth a shot once. I know it is $16 but I think it will last longer than some other cheaper ones you may have tried.

Boricua
03-15-2011, 12:30 PM
OK, our weather is a little cooler than yours in the winter but most times of the year about the same. Hot and humid. I find that string breakage is worse in the cooler weather which you don't have much of. I think Biphase 16 is worth a shot once. I know it is $16 but I think it will last longer than some other cheaper ones you may have tried.

Thank you for your advice. Have a good day!:)

dnation
03-16-2011, 02:34 AM
BiPhase is super soft with heaps of control. Topspin is good but because its a multi, multi's tend to be more powerful than polys, and thus u swing less to control that power, which then decreases topspin, as topspin is influenced by racquet head speed on control. Unless u have excellent technique it is generally easier to get more topspin on a poly because u can swing faster and due to the lower power, the ball is more likely to stay in the court when u hit it hard..

Again, its all in the technique for good players.

tennis_nyc
03-16-2011, 05:40 AM
I use biphase regularly as a hybrid. I noticed that when string in the crosses (with a co-poly in the mains), the biphase had good bite on the ball. The disadvantage as other has mentioned is that the biphase has such as short lifespan. I noticed fraying after about 2 to 3 hours of play and certain breakage at 4 hours.

When I switched the biphase to the mains, I've noticed I get much more pop on the ball but less spin. Also, durability is much improved. I haven't noticed much fraying even after 2 hours of play. I'll keep it this way for now in order to extend the life of the biphase at the cost of less bite.

Lsmkenpo
03-16-2011, 06:00 AM
The #1 string if you want feel, comfort and spin is natural gut, no other string is close.

In scientific testing natural gut actual equals or outperforms some polys in generating spin, at lower tensions.

Here is the test you can look at the table and see the spin comparisons between the different string materials.http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/spinexperiment.php

Boricua
03-16-2011, 07:07 AM
The #1 string if you want feel, comfort and spin is natural gut, no other string is close.

In scientific testing natural gut actual equals or outperforms some polys in generating spin, at lower tensions.

Here is the test you can look at the table and see the spin comparisons between the different string materials.http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/spinexperiment.php

Is there a notable difference between Babolat Tonic Gut 15 and 16 gauge when using it as a cross with copolys?

Is there a noticeable difference tetween Tonic and VS gut when using it as a cross string?

I am worried because I used VS 16 gauge as a cross and at the 2 and a half hour it began to fray, I would consider gut as a cross string but Im trying not to spend too much.:)