PDA

View Full Version : Japanese disaster's impact on string supply

stringertom
03-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Forewarned is forearmed...look closely at your string packaging...even if brands are non-Japanese, the string is made in Japan for those brands. If the package says "Made in Japan", Gosen or TOA makes it and your pipeline could be shut down after US inventories dwindle. The '95 Kobe quake was devastating because the factories/harbors were right there. This quake has the more troubling nuclear element intertwined, already wreaking havoc on their entire economy. Get your glasses out and read the fine print!

Bartelby
03-15-2011, 10:29 AM
I think the Europeans are far bigger producers of string than the Japanese, so the impact will be slender.

Boricua
03-15-2011, 11:42 AM
I think the Europeans are far bigger producers of string than the Japanese, so the impact will be slender.

What about Yonex, will it be affected?:cry:

stringertom
03-15-2011, 12:06 PM
What about Yonex, will it be affected?:cry:
beware all Japanese imports, their economy is reeling from this. Their stock market has lost a trillion dollars in value in 2 days!

El Diablo
03-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Gamma string should be plentiful -- it's irradiated in the manufacturing process.

stringertom
03-15-2011, 12:10 PM

Look at labels! If it says "made in Japan" and many do, it could be affected. Europe is source for many higher end string but T-fibre, Babolat, Head, Dunlop all go to the Orient for pricepoint purposes. Check it out!

stringertom
03-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Gamma string should be plentiful -- it's irradiated in the manufacturing process.

AFLAC fired GGottfried as Duck-voice for less: girlfriends floating by and popularity of floodlighting in Japan. BTW, TOA does build Gamma string in Japan.

ollinger
03-15-2011, 12:18 PM
What exactly is the OP suggesting?? To avoid Japanese products? Is this your idea of helping people who are struggling? Do you have reason to think the string is compromised?

Keifers
03-15-2011, 12:38 PM
^^^^

Forewarned is forearmed...look closely at your string packaging...even if brands are non-Japanese, the string is made in Japan for those brands. If the package says "Made in Japan", Gosen or TOA makes it and your pipeline could be shut down after US inventories dwindle. The '95 Kobe quake was devastating because the factories/harbors were right there. This quake has the more troubling nuclear element intertwined, already wreaking havoc on their entire economy. Get your glasses out and read the fine print!

(10 char)

stringertom
03-15-2011, 01:20 PM
What exactly is the OP suggesting?? To avoid Japanese products? Is this your idea of helping people who are struggling? Do you have reason to think the string is compromised?

I, the OP, cannot believe you insinuate I'm warning people not to buy Japanese products! Most people know where their racquets, shoes etc. Are made. Few pay attention to string origin. The Japanese makers, TOA and Gosen make millions of sets of strings with labels like Prince, Wilson, Gamma, Head, etc. Those strings may be less plentiful in several months. If you play with such, you might want to stock up now! How is that considered a "whack" on the suffering Japanese?

10ACE
03-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Also u might want to give up sushi for a while-- just saying

DE19702
03-15-2011, 02:33 PM
I think what some people might think is that your concern about the supply of tennis string due to a natural disaster is selfish when compared to the suffering of others. Pointing this out is distasteful, even if true. Its like saying you were delayed because the cabdriver had a heart attack.

stringertom
03-15-2011, 02:55 PM
I think what some people might think is that your concern about the supply of tennis string due to a natural disaster is selfish when compared to the suffering of others. Pointing this out is distasteful, even if true. Its like saying you were delayed because the cabdriver had a heart attack.
This is a tennis forum not UNICEF. The point of the OP was to alert players their string of preference might be in shorter supply than normal. My thread would be irrelevant if I posted non-tennis fact or opinion. I feel for the millions affected by the calamity. I want them to recover as quickly as anyone. Pointing out a possible repercussion doesn't make me selfish. What exactly have you done to make their world better? Your time here critiquing me could have been devoted to the cause. Who's the hypocrite now?

BagelMe
03-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Also u might want to give up sushi for a while-- just saying

I think I'm going to cry..........:cry:

DE19702
03-15-2011, 05:07 PM
This is a tennis forum not UNICEF. The point of the OP was to alert players their string of preference might be in shorter supply than normal. My thread would be irrelevant if I posted non-tennis fact or opinion. I feel for the millions affected by the calamity. I want them to recover as quickly as anyone. Pointing out a possible repercussion doesn't make me selfish. What exactly have you done to make their world better? Your time here critiquing me could have been devoted to the cause. Who's the hypocrite now?

I know you didn't mean anything by it, but when you expressed your concerns about the disruption in the supply of tennis stings due to the tsunami (and perhaps the nuclear meltdown) the contrast was so stark as to appear crass. You main point is probably valid but who really knows. :twisted:

stringertom
03-15-2011, 05:40 PM
I know you didn't mean anything by it, but when you expressed your concerns about the disruption in the supply of tennis stings due to the tsunami (and perhaps the nuclear meltdown) the contrast was so stark as to appear crass. You main point is probably valid but who really knows. :twisted:

DE the best thing any of us can do besides $$ to relief and blood to Red Cross is buy Japanese products you normally use. I'm a Yonex shoe wearer. Maybe I'll buy an extra pair to get me through a possible disruption in supply. Money for them product for me. Where's the harm? Why the hate? I didn't post the other objectionable moronic crap. Crass my a**!

Keifers
03-15-2011, 06:15 PM
OP,

I strongly suspect that most readers understood perfectly what you were saying. Many, many strings are indeed made in Japan and your warning that supplies may be affected by the devastation is well taken.

Only 2 people have objected... the first because he misread your op (and indeed your thread title), and the second because he put his own value judgment on what you were doing, assuming (or at least hoping) that others share his view. His refusal to take you at your word regarding your intention demonstrates imo his commitment to sticking to his poor judgment, immaturely- and poorly-expressed.

stringertom
03-15-2011, 07:59 PM
OP,

I strongly suspect that most readers understood perfectly what you were saying. Many, many strings are indeed made in Japan and your warning that supplies may be affected by the devastation is well taken.

Only 2 people have objected... the first because he misread your op (and indeed your thread title), and the second because he put his own value judgment on what you were doing, assuming (or at least hoping) that others share his view. His refusal to take you at your word regarding your intention demonstrates imo his commitment to sticking to his poor judgment, immaturely- and poorly-expressed.
The sound of logic is sweet music to my ears! Now I'll buy 3 pair of the Yonex 307s, even though the shoe factory probably is in China or Vietnam. Anything to help out a great company from a struggling nation. My faith in the ability to rationally perceive a conversation by members of the tennis community has now been restored!

mctennis
03-15-2011, 09:55 PM
OP,

I agree with you. I took it as a warning that supplies may be hampered. Why people get so upset about this is beyond me. Probably because, like you said, they are immature.

Tennis_Crazed
03-16-2011, 02:01 AM
I agree with you. I took it as a warning that supplies may be hampered. Why people get so upset about this is beyond me. Probably because, like you said, they are immature.

dito...some people on this forum just like to start arguments for the sake of nothing better to do

stringertom
03-16-2011, 08:29 AM

You want some crass? Go to racquets subsection and check out various punsters take on disaster in "Rackets (sic) Made in Japan" thread. There's the file on insensitivity and "selfish" comments.