PDA

View Full Version : My experience with nat gut,, please comment

guy_o
03-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Hi to All,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first thread. I just turned 50 and have been playing this game we love since college. I string my sticks for about ten years now. I really would like to use nat gut but everytime I string one the area on the sweet spot where the mains and the crosses intersect flattens really fast. I haven't heard or read from any forum any complaints about this occurence. So it must be me not doing the right technique in stringing or not using a quality gut. Please comment on this. I'm not of a big hitter either but could drive once in awhile like a 4.5.

I have been reading the threads here and have my share of testing different strings. I thank everybody to take the time to share thier experiences. I have also read about how to string the nats but I don't see any issues here. I tried Klips and Pacific before and they both flatten on the intersections after a while (5-6 hrs) although the sting tension is still good. Is this expected from this material? Would the more expensive brand hold up better?

My experiences lead me to string multi on mains and poly on crosses. I am willing to try nat for mains once I know what I have been missing.

Thanks

Guy
AGD300T NRG2 17(60)/PS ENERGY 17(55)
PSLGT NRG2 17(58)/PS ENERGY 17 (53)

CyberInferno
03-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Welcome to the forum!

In my opinion, some of the problems you are experiencing with the gut may be due to how you're stringing it. I could be completely off-target here, but we'll see!

Did you pre-stretch the gut? Did you string the gut as a single piece or as two pieces? If you strung it as a two-piece, did you start the stringing of the crosses at the head or throat of the racquet? Did you let the string "fall" after each cross or did you hold it in your hand the whole time?

jim e
03-15-2011, 04:41 PM
WELCOME TO TT FORUMS!!
One thing is you have to be careful handeling the string, as it can twist or untwist, causing a flattening appearance, especially when weaving the cross strings.Also have to be sure with gut that you fan the crosses as you pull the slack. I have seen stringers pull it straight across and burn the hell out of the string, as with gut its more fragile.
Also kinks with gut is real bad. Synthetics can take that without that much an issue, but if you kink gut, its a soft spot on the string, if it end againt an intersecting string, it can cause a flattened appearance, but more important a weak spot in the string.I string a decent amount of nat. gut and never had much of an issue with it.

CyberInferno
03-15-2011, 04:54 PM
WELCOME TO TT FORUMS!!
One thing is you have to be careful handeling the string, as it can twist or untwist, causing a flattening appearance, especially when weaving the cross strings.Also have to be sure with gut that you fan the crosses as you pull the slack. I have seen stringers pull it straight across and burn the hell out of the string, as with gut its more fragile.
Also kinks with gut is real bad. Synthetics can take that without that much an issue, but if you kink gut, its a soft spot on the string, if it end againt an intersecting string, it can cause a flattened appearance, but more important a weak spot in the string.I string a decent amount of nat. gut and never had much of an issue with it.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was quick to blame the string job! :)

baek57
03-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Flatten on the intersections after 5-6 hours? Do you mean notching? That is completely normal and has nothing to do with how the racquet is strung.

guy_o
03-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Welcome to the forum!

In my opinion, some of the problems you are experiencing with the gut may be due to how you're stringing it. I could be completely off-target here, but we'll see!

Did you pre-stretch the gut? Did you string the gut as a single piece or as two pieces? If you strung it as a two-piece, did you start the stringing of the crosses at the head or throat of the racquet? Did you let the string "fall" after each cross or did you hold it in your hand the whole time?

CyberInferno- Thanks a lot. No, I didn't pre-stretch. Two piece stringing and I tried both ways on the crosses. I did let the string fall, could that untwisted the string?

One thing is obvious and that the flattened (mains) string at the intersection only shows at the area where the ball hits most of the time.

Jim E- Thanks to you. Yes, I may have not been too careful with this type of string. So gut could easily untwist, is there a brand that is more sturdy, probably with a tougher coating? What is interesting is that the flattened strings are the mains and not the crosses. And the mains should be pretty safe since we install it first. If this was a multi, the result would look like a notch hugging the cross. In my experience the mains instead of forming a notch, it just flattens thereby losing any bite.

Also I used it once with a poly cross and the gut just flattens. The feel is still there but I feel my spin is not transferred to the ball effectively.

smucker007
03-15-2011, 10:06 PM
There are some brands with different coatings and such..but to help with the unraveling of strings during stringing the crosses..twist it back into shape! Gut will tend to untwist during stringing..it just requires you to twist it back..make sure you twist the right way.

Maybe try string savers around the sweet spot area..

guy_o
03-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Flatten on the intersections after 5-6 hours? Do you mean notching? That is completely normal and has nothing to do with how the racquet is strung.

In a multi, the mains touching the cross start to cave in and we may call it notching. The opposite side of the notch is still rounded. My experience with nats is that instead of caving in, the mains touching the cross just flattens on both sides thereby losing bite. So I thought the string is not that solid enough and that one just need to re-string more frequently. So I lost my interest.

Thanks baek57

CyberInferno
03-16-2011, 07:40 AM
CyberInferno- Thanks a lot. No, I didn't pre-stretch. Two piece stringing and I tried both ways on the crosses. I did let the string fall, could that untwisted the string?

One thing is obvious and that the flattened (mains) string at the intersection only shows at the area where the ball hits most of the time.

Jim E- Thanks to you. Yes, I may have not been too careful with this type of string. So gut could easily untwist, is there a brand that is more sturdy, probably with a tougher coating? What is interesting is that the flattened strings are the mains and not the crosses. And the mains should be pretty safe since we install it first. If this was a multi, the result would look like a notch hugging the cross. In my experience the mains instead of forming a notch, it just flattens thereby losing any bite.

Also I used it once with a poly cross and the gut just flattens. The feel is still there but I feel my spin is not transferred to the ball effectively.
Though there is still some debate about the merits of pre-stretching gut, most experienced stringers believe that pre-stretching the gut is good to maintain the tension and stability of the string. You might want to give that a shot. Glad to hear you're stringing the racquet as two pieces--gut can really wear down by the time it gets to the crosses when strung as a single piece. Letting the string "fall" after you string is one of the recommended ways to avoid twisting the gut, so try that as well. As Jim mentioned, make sure to move the strings to avoid burning the gut, and try not to pull too fast/too hard. Of course, you should be fanning the strings no matter what string you use!

Rabbit
03-16-2011, 07:50 AM
is there a brand that is more sturdy, probably with a tougher coating?

You could try Klip Armour Pro. I've read on the boards that it has fewer strands of gut and more coating. But, be forewarned, more coating and/or less natural gut means less of the feel and playability that you buy natural gut for.

guy_o
03-16-2011, 09:04 AM
You could try Klip Armour Pro. I've read on the boards that it has fewer strands of gut and more coating. But, be forewarned, more coating and/or less natural gut means less of the feel and playability that you buy natural gut for.

Thanks Rabbit, I will check that string.

So out of 188 viewers only one (smuckeroo7) noticed that nat gut has the tendency to flatten at the intersection.

Thank you guys.

Don't Let It Bounce
03-16-2011, 01:12 PM
I picked up another good tip, on these boards, for minimizing the stress on nat gut when doing crosses: pull each cross all the way through the grommet before weaving and pulling (as mentioned, not in a straight line) across the string bed. It doesn't seem like much, but you can really feel how much it reduces the friction vs pulling through and across simultaneously.

jim e
03-16-2011, 02:44 PM
I picked up another good tip, on these boards, for minimizing the stress on nat gut when doing crosses: pull each cross all the way through the grommet before weaving and pulling (as mentioned, not in a straight line) across the string bed. It doesn't seem like much, but you can really feel how much it reduces the friction vs pulling through and across simultaneously.

What also helps is when you weave one ahead, to also pull most of the string through one ahead as well. Just leave enough string to reach the tension head, as this way you are fanning and pulling most of the string one ahead it greatly reduces friction, and burning or notching while installing the string. Although it takes a little longer, it makes for a better end result,with nat. gut.

TennisCJC
03-17-2011, 11:50 AM
I think it is normal for gut to flatten in the hitting zone. Fan as you pull the crosses and be careful to not kink gut and I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as your stringing method. I don't like Klip Armour Pro gut as it is a heavily coated gut and does not play as "gut like" as other gut strings. Bab Tonic Ball Feel 16G is a good, inexpensive gut with decent coating, great feel and excellent durability. It is 132mm 16G so it is not going to play as lively as a 17G gut but it is an excellent string.