PDA

View Full Version : Confession of a New Hybrider

Herdsman76
03-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Hey Everybody,

Although I'm not totally giving up on using a full bed of gut strings, I decided to try a hybrid set up on my racquets. My qualifying statement is that I didn't pick a hybrid commonly used or mentioned, I basically just made up my own based on what I wanted.

My combo is the Kirschbaum Super Smash Spiky 17 in the mains at 65 lbs. along with Babolat Revenge 16 in the crosses at 63 lbs.

I honestly didn't know what to expect but I was amazed at the comfort and spin the set-up provided. Compared to the Tonic I've been using, it's definitely easy on my elbow which had been sore the last few weeks. In defense of the Tonic, it seemed that everyday I hit with it, it was a bit cool or windy, sometimes both.

As I hit with my new setup, the day was near perfect and warm. I'll be curious as I play with the set up in the new few sessions/matches how the strings will hold up. For now I'm enjoying the idea of playing with little or no pain.

If y'all have similar set-ups with what I'd call spinney mains, and softer crosses, let me know what they are so I can possibly try them too. I know a lot of people hybrid with RPM so tell me your stories, successes and failures...

Cheers! H76

wderyckx
03-16-2011, 10:15 AM
I have been enjoying the Snake Bite from Golden Set 17 gauge for the mains with one of the smooth and soft nylon based synth gut strings 16 gauge for the crosses. I used to use the Hex Poly (Golden Set) for the mains, and that worked real well too, but I tend to like the Snake Bite better as it seems to grab the ball better to impart more spin. After messing around with different tensions, I've pretty much settled in on stringng the crosses a few pounds tighter as that seems to set the stiffer Snake Bite up a bit better on the string bed to increase the grab. I understand a lot of poeple do just the opposite so I'm really unsure about this but so far so good. Very good string at economical prices - well worth checking out, I think