PDA

View Full Version : Gut to Poly

sadowsk2
03-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Ok, I tried doing a search to no avail...

For those of you who used to hit with natural gut and made the switch to a poly, what did you initially do tension-wise on your switch to poly?

In my case, using an aero storm tour, who uses 17 VS Gut at 59lbs, what would be a good starting point tension-wise to string up a set of RPM Blast?

I've never used a poly before as I've been happy with gut but I've been breaking strings too frequently and thought I'd see what all the craze is with poly.... Will be hitting with a buddy to try it out.... Was thinking of dropping the tension from 59lbs down to 56lbs as a starting point... Thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

J_aces
03-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Go RPM mid 40s tension

weksa
03-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Was thinking of dropping the tension from 59lbs down to 56lbs as a starting point...

Dropping down to 56 lbs would be a good starting point if you were switching to a synthetic gut. Polys are strung at about 10% down from synthetic guts as a starting point -- but people like going lower especially if using a full bed of poly because it's so stiff. So I'd say start around 50-52 lbs and go up/down from there. From my readings on this forum, people string full poly in the 40s without losing much control while staying nice on the arm.

Here's a thread on full poly jobs:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=367032