PDA

View Full Version : reprieve thread of the year! distance from body

tom-selleck
06-20-2005, 05:50 AM
curious as to that forehand elbow distance from body (or alternatively angle of elbow)....... i voted this thread of the year, but i certainly don't want to reprieve the whole thing.

my question is actually the opposite of that thread..... what drills/"training aids" can i use to get that separation of elbow and body?.. the ball under the armpit drill was if you are too far from the ball and not bending elbow...

BUT I WANT MORE SEPARATION BETWEEN ELBOW AND BODY.

when i concentrate on this, i either hit a very good shot or the ball gets on top of me and jams me as i've fixated myself into a bad concentration zone (probably doesn't make sense, but sometimes you concentrate so much that you forget everything else).......

i find the forehands with elbow pretty far from body are hit hard, are very efficient and have good disguise.... forehands with elbow close to body are basically good for applying alot of topspin (often from defensive position)...

any thoughts?? or, drills/aids to help this??

as always, your replies/thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Rickson
06-20-2005, 06:18 AM
Elbow far from body forehands are good for high balls and hitting line drive shots with a slightly downward trajectory. Try it on your next high ball forehand and see the explosive power you get.

Kana Himezaki
06-20-2005, 07:51 AM
You can actually keep it further away from the body.

Unless, of course, your elbow goes wild or moves during the swing. Which is why people tell others to keep the elbow closer, and use the ball-under-armpit drill to help them control it. Which was generally the point of the suggestion in the other threads.

You can tell if you elbow is out of control if it's not bent and aligned right with your body. If it's hanging out at an angle, that means you want to fix it.

Find what's comfortable for you, I stated that too. :D Just make sure your elbow isn't way out or not "aligned" with your body (line drawn through forearm to body is straight). If you want to ensure that, you can try keeping the elbow CLOSE to the body on the actual backswing. Then when it's back, and close to your body, you just pull it out more if you want.

tom-selleck
06-20-2005, 07:57 AM
kana and rickson,

thanks for the responses.... trying to get that elbow out from my side.. but it seems to want to go back there... maybe it's just blunt force repitition that i need.