PDA

View Full Version : Choose a racquet for me, pt. II

Ash Doyle
04-23-2004, 05:15 AM
I've played for the past three days with the demos I ordered from TW based on suggestions from other users on the boards. I demoed the top three suggestions of you guys: the Estusa Power Beam Braided, Wilson ProStaff 6.1, and the Volkl C10 Pro.

Right out of the box the racquet that intrigued me the most was the Estusa PBB. It was one of the most interesting looking racquets I've seen in a long time. It's a very classic looking racquet. When I first picked it up, the weight and balance felt great; and I loved the very square shape of the handle. The Wilson 6.1 was a nice looking racquet and felt similar to other Wilsons I had tried before. Nothing about this racquet really grabbed me. I didn't care much for the look of the Volkl, and I really didn't like the rectangular shape of the grip at all. For first impressions, the Estusa won out this competition easily. The next day I tried out what really mattered: the playing test.

For serving, I was surprised at the power I was able to get with the Estusa. I was expecting a very low powered racquet, but was very surprised with the pace I was able to get. Spin was quite good too. Serving with the Estusa felt great. Serving with the Volkl gave me even more power and spin. For being classified as a player's racquet, the Volkl was a very powerful racquet. I didn't particularly care for the feel of this racquet. I didn't think it had a dampened feel like most people describe for a Volkl. I felt the grip was even more rectangular than a Head racquet and I absolutely despised it. The Wilson was pretty good, although there was nothing special about it. Surprisingly, I had less power with this racquet than either the Estusa or Volkl.

On Groundstrokes, nothing came close to the feel of the Estusa. It felt great. I had great pace, great control, and good spin. The Volkl just didn't feel right for me. For one thing, it felt much lighter than the advertised 12.2. ounces. The racquet just felt too lively. Plus, I just can't get past the feel of the handle. I hate it. I'll probably catch some flak for this but I felt the Volkl C10 Pro is just a Pure Drive jr.. The feel of this racquet to me was very similar to a scaled down pure drive. The Wilson was ok, nothing special. I probably would have liked it alot had I not had the estusa to compare it to.

Overall, the estusa blew the other racquets away. Thanks to everyone who suggested I try this racquet. I had never considered it before. Next week, I'm going to demo some tweener racquets just to see if I see any benefits to my game from this class of racquets. I doubt I will, so I'll most likely be going with the Estusa. Anyway, let me know if you guys have any suggestions for a good tweener racquet for me try out. Thanks.

@wright
04-23-2004, 06:10 AM
The power of the C10 pro always surprised me too. The Estusas are the closest thing I have found to a magic wand, I love the way they hit. I'm on the verge of switching to the PBP after getting a couple used to try out. Groundstrokes and volleys are phenomenal with these sticks, I was hitting angles last night that I've never been able to get with other racquets. Still getting used to the serve though, my power temporarily went down.

bcaz
04-23-2004, 11:24 PM
I play the PBB and I love them. The Achilles heel is power on big serves and the related issue of the dead upper hoop. Mine were very head-light, up to 14 pts. w/overgrip! I added lead to the hoops and they are up to 12.9 oz. and back down to 9-10 pts. HL. They are serving better now -- still not as powerful as the C-10 Pro -- but they've slowed down a mite. Even so, the Estusa PBB, IMHO, may be the best volleying stick available today. I should say I've never hit with the PBP, but I did demo the Power Beam, which was nice, but not as nice as the PBB.

thejerk
04-24-2004, 08:53 AM
I bought an old Puma and even with bad grommets and old string it hits nice. I loved the Pbb but it was to stiff. I am wondering if anybody can compare the flexiest Estusa with the pbb?

perfmode
04-24-2004, 06:57 PM
My coach used that Estusa stick. He let me try it once and I couldn't figure it out. I was using a Hyper Hammer 5.3 at the time so I guess I just wasn't ready for it back then.

jasonmiller
04-24-2004, 07:38 PM
Hey Ash, I just demoed a few racquets last week. I tried the Prince Diablo MP, Head LM Prestige MP(had to see what all the fuss was about), and I picked up a Tour 95 for a couple of days. To me, the Tour 95 was by far the best stick of the bunch. I was getting awesome spin on groundstrokes, volleys were good, serves were exceptional; I felt like it could do everything well. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the Wilson Stamina string it was strung with was a bit pingy. If you're going to demo some more racquets, give the Tour 95 a try.

Coda
04-25-2004, 08:42 PM
I agree...tour 95