PDA

View Full Version : Fractured frame = serious? -- missed a weave = problem?

footfault
04-23-2004, 05:38 AM
I just saw a fracture running between my neck and head, is this going to severely alter the playability of the racquet? ( 95 Equipe) Missed 2 weaves on the cross's is that going to be noticeable on my groundies? Thanks

@wright
04-23-2004, 06:03 AM
I'd definitely get that checked out by a physician, could be serious.

mattlikovich
04-23-2004, 06:06 AM
Uh, I think he meant on the frame, but maybe he didnt... Ihope hes okay if its his neck.

Smashlob
04-23-2004, 07:02 AM
If you have a crack in the racquet, then this is your last stringing, and I'd suggest you retire the racquet right now. It can explode at a bad moment. And I, as a stringer, refuse to string racquets with cracks, they tend to go SNAP and graphite makes good shrapnel.

bsandy
04-23-2004, 08:50 AM
. . . and your power will be way off !!!

Jerry Seinfeld
04-23-2004, 09:10 AM
Let me make sure I understand the question correctly...your frame is cracked and the string job is botched. You are wondering if either of these minute variables are gonna throw off your finely tuned game. ???

Nah. If anything it will make the match that much more intriguing! You'll have little control over when the racquet will explode from impact and the graphite shrapnel will thrill the opponents and fans alike. Sort of like when Shamu splashes the crowd at Sea World! Everyone will be giddy with excitement.

Playing with a cracked frame will also please your physician as the extra vibration will likely go right up your arm and into your elbow. Not only will you eventually have a broken racquet, but you'll also have an arm injury to go along with it. Woo Hoo!

Your power will suffer a bit, but with your cleverly strung cross strings you'll likely generate some bizarre spins that will baffle your opponents.

Other than that, everything should be about the same as normal.

Good luck! : :P

ucd_ace
04-23-2004, 09:20 AM
Jerry speaks the truth.

ismashall
04-23-2004, 10:03 AM
Hmm.. I always thought Seinfeld to be more light-hearted in his stand-up. This was much more dark and cynical. "You ever noticed when your racket cracks between the neck and head?...." sounds more like classic Jerry,

Datacipher
04-23-2004, 07:40 PM
Actually you won't notice anything other than psychological difference with the missed weaves, but if you had it done by a stringer and paid for it, take it back. He owes you the job done properly.

Loud
04-25-2004, 06:05 AM
He also owes you another frame or a number of free stringjobs but after that, not sure if you want to take them.

perfmode
04-25-2004, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't try to play with a cracked frame. It's time to retire that before the head caves in during a rally. That can seriously injure you.

matchpoints
04-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Actually you won't notice anything other than psychological difference with the missed weaves, but if you had it done by a stringer and paid for it, take it back. He owes you the job done properly.

Sorry, but one can definitely tell a difference, unless you're a beginner.

Datacipher
04-25-2004, 01:48 PM

LOL. Interesting, you've played with missed weaves then? I have hit with racquets with missed weaves but they were not mine. I also recall a couple of fellow tennis pros telling me that a missed weave doesn't make any real difference. But mainly I was thinking of the USRSA manual which says "a missed weave usually won't affect playability".

But I have little firsthand feedback on this situation.

Datacipher
04-25-2004, 01:48 PM

LOL. Interesting, you've played with missed weaves then? I have hit with racquets with missed weaves but they were not mine. I also recall a couple of fellow tennis pros telling me that a missed weave doesn't make any real difference. But mainly I was thinking of the USRSA manual which says "a missed weave usually won't affect playability".

But I have little firsthand feedback on this situation.

matchpoints
04-26-2004, 09:50 PM
i remember once when i was hitting with my pro staff after a fresh string job, the ball was flying off my racquet and a lot less control. It was with a 17g synthetic gut. I knew something wasn't right. So i checked my strings, and the last cross was weaved the same as the second to last.

I knew my racquets and how they played. I would definitely notice a misweave. If you're just starting out, there's no way you would know what a ball feels like on different shots. This goes with people demoing racquets also.

Jeffrey Wang
04-27-2004, 09:18 AM
Mis weave will cause the string moving around and make the stringbed unevenly thus lose control and power. It won't cause the racquet damage but definitely will affect the play. For the damage on the joint of head and shafts, the damage is there for sure and the stiffness and reflex drop so it will play very dead and strange. It's time to retire the racquet and found a replacement unfortunitely.