PDA

View Full Version : gut as main or cross?

Boricua
03-17-2011, 06:05 AM
What differences in playability, feel and durability should I expect in terms of using gut a main or cross string? :)

TennisCJC
03-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Mains determine "most" of the playability and feel of the strings.

Poly mains with gut cross is best for players who are predominately baseline players. Best for topspin and slice spin from baseline. Also, best for players who swing big and fast as poly mains give more control and spin with lower power. Not the best for volleys or smooth swing players like John McEnroe. This setup would be best for most pros today as they don't go to the net that often and like to bash forehands and 2 handed backhands.

Gut mains and poly cross is best for all court players, and serve and volley players (doubles). Gut mains give more power and feel but a bit less control and spin. However, the poly cross will stiffen the stringbed and give more of a controlled feel than all gut. Also, a bit more spin with poly cross vs all gut. Federer uses this setup as he is more of an all court player - approaches the net more, occasional serve and volley, and lots of slice and drop shots. McEnroe would use this setup if he was playing the circuit today. Gut mains are much better for volleys.

If you are playing gut, I suggest gut mains to get more of the gut characteristics. Otherwise, I am not sure it is worth the extra money for gut vs a good multi as a cross. Gut crosses are slighthly better than multi crosses, but gut mains are much better than multi mains in general. The difference is more pronounced in the mains. But, if you have lots of money, gut crosses are still a bit better than multi crosses in my opinion - just not as much a difference as the mains determine most of the stringbed feel.

With either setup, lower your poly tension by 5-10%. All polys are harsh on the arm.