PDA

View Full Version : Current run of Klip Legend's coating is absolute crap.

bsandy
03-17-2011, 06:01 AM
Just bought a set of Klip 17 from TW. Put it in the mains of my EXO3 Tour 100 16x18. I used Prince Recoil as the crosses.

The coating is VERY uneven and I'm not sure if it even completely covers the entire string. It's almost like they tried to put it on when it was partially tacky and didn't go on smoothly. The string is yellowish too.

As I was applying tension to the Klip Legend, I would watch the coating turn white. It is obviously not adhering to the string.

Also last night . . .

I put a set of Klip 18 in the mains of my EXO3 Tour 100 18x20. I used Prince Recoil as the crosses. The string was smooth. The string did not ghost in front of my eyes as I pulled tension.

scotus
03-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Although I don't like Klip Legend at all, I have never seen one like that.

But it must be true, since it comes from the great defender of Klip Legend:

I have the opposite opinion.

To me, Klip is easier to string than VS. -- especially when it comes to shared and blocked holes.

Klip Tour is even better. I swear. You hold some of this in your hand, you'll think it's a multi.

To all of you that say not pre-stretch Klip, have another doob, relax and think about what you are saying.

There are too many opionions on here formed by a sample of one.

. . . Bud

BTW, even though I have only tried 7 sets of Legend 17 and 18, that's enough to keep me away from them.

bsandy
03-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Yep . . .

I had nothing bad to say about them, until last night.

. . . Bud

bsandy
04-07-2011, 04:36 AM
OBTW . . .

eMaild TW. They credited me, forwarded my eMail to Klip and I got some Tour instead.

Thanks TW!

Steve Huff
04-07-2011, 06:45 PM
I use Klip a lot, and I have to agree with you. I put some Klip Legend 15L in my racket and it unravelled in a couple of places. Thankfully, it was my own racket. I bought mine at TW too, and I'm sure they'd replace it if I were to ask. I guess I just consider it one of the hazards of using natural gut. Unless it breaks prematurely, I won't get too upset. TW, you should send a message to Klip to have them check their gut more closely.

TennisCJC
04-08-2011, 08:56 AM
I have use 4 sets of Klip Legend 16G coated gut and they all have a crapping coating and much more difficult to string that other gut. That said, they somehow still play well. I quite buying them because of the thin, uneven coating and the difficulting stringing - easy to crimp, tendency to unravel.

The best overall inexpensive gut is Bab Tonic+ 16G. The coating is very good but not so thick it kills the sensation of the gut. It strings easily and plays great. Inexpensive is $33 a set so it still is not cheap. Bab Tonic+ durability is fantastic too.

BDE Performance was another good gut for around $30 but it seems to have disappeared.