PDA

View Full Version : Used Machines

Anonymous
04-23-2004, 07:47 AM
Doe anyone know where i can get a used stringer for a couple hundred bucks.
I was thinking of getting a used model with 6 points rather than a new ATS SS II, let me know what you guys think

Smashlob
04-23-2004, 08:06 AM
You can find some on **** from time-to-time. That's where I got mine.

Kobble
04-23-2004, 10:08 AM
Be careful what you buy on ****. I have seen some deals that look great, but you notice some missing pieces along with other key parts when you look closer. Ask the seller a lot of questions about the machine in general, also include questions about how well it functions, condition of the clamps, and any other key mechanism.

Gaines Hillix
04-23-2004, 11:46 AM
I agree with Kobble....especially if the description in the ad describes a drop weight as being a professional, high quality machine or other such description or "I don't know much about this type of machine, but it looks like it's complete." If you can verify the owner used it and all of the parts are there, you at least have a good chance. You can post questions on here about anything you find and someone will try to help you out.

Anonymous
04-23-2004, 01:48 PM
How about this: it is broken though

http://cgi.*********/ws/****ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22715&item=3673888 058&rd=1

borisboris
04-23-2004, 01:59 PM
:roll: What a headache-finding parts-cumbersome etc.

Gaines Hillix
04-23-2004, 02:06 PM
Salman, I'd pass on that one. It's at least 20 yrs old and is missing some parts.

Anonymous
04-23-2004, 02:28 PM
Gaines,
What is the real difference between say an ATS SS II and a Prince Neos 1000 aside from the obvious ones. Will the string job be the same quality? Assuming i am careful.

Gaines Hillix
04-23-2004, 06:47 PM
There are advantages to both. The ATS SS II is a dropweight, so it has constant pull. That is tension is still being pulled up until the time that the string is clamped off. The NEOS is a crank/lock out machine. It quits pulling as soon as the reference tension is reached. At that point the tension head locks out and quits pulling. A CP machine will produce a stringbed that is about 10% firmer than a crank machine. However, the NEOS has fixed clamps, which are easier and faster to use and are less prone to twisting and slippage. There is a huge price difference. THe NEOS 1000 retails for around $1200 new and the SS II costs $135. If you are going to just be doing your own frames and maybe a couple of others every now and then the NEOS would be hard to justify, but overall I think it's a better machine(probably the most popular crank machine ou
<oere).

Anonymous
04-23-2004, 07:38 PM
Gaines, you're right the prince is hard to justify, i was just using it as an example because it is so popular.

I plan on stringing my own racquets team-mates, and for others during the summer. I don't mind spending ample time to do it right. I just want a good stringjob, and no racquet damage.

What does it mean when you say the CP will produce a 10% firmer stringbed?

Also what is the cheapest upright out there (besides Eagnas, you guys scared me away from that company).

One more thing about the Eagnas Flex 920 ($350), what other competitors offer a similar machine at a similar price?

Thanks, i really appreciate the help alot

passerofgasses
04-23-2004, 09:15 PM
A CP (constant pull) continues to pull at the set tension even while the string continues to elongate. Depending on the type of string and how much it stretches, you may lose a little or a whole lot of tension from a lock out crank machine because the lock out will stop pulling once it has reached say 60lbs, but a few seconds later the string is longer and there's only say 55lbs on it. Even with a constant pull machine, depending on how long you wait for the string to stretch, you'll get differing tensions depending on when you decide to clamp the string. Of course that variability declines exponentially with each passing second.

About the Eagnas thing, I've tried defending them here to no avail. I have a flex 740 and I find it fine. What I find the greatest thing about it is the price though. I've never known anything else, so don't take my word as an end all. As for competitors to Eagnas, it seems on the Eagnas site they say someone stole a lot of their designs, so you might want to check them out, but Eagnas is still king of crap. Nobody is cheaper.

Rod K
04-24-2004, 10:17 PM
I've got a super dependable Alfa drop-weight table-top with a very stable six-point mounting system I'd like to sell. After 3 years and 150-200 stringing jobs I decided to upgrade to a Silent Partner FL. I'd like to get $200 for it. Email me at rkoehler@jps.net if you're interested.