PDA

View Full Version : Babolat RPM blast vs Luxilon alu power

Fedace
03-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Ok, i have been told on so many occasions that Alu power is Superior string in every aspect. I DISAGREE. i have been hitting with alu power for last week or so, just to experiment. I have to say RPM blast provides SUPERIOR spin,,, nasty kind of spin. and Power wise, sure alu power had little more but Not by much. and in feel department, RPM blows away Luxilon. and Control department,,,,,i say they are very similar,,,but i once again have to give RPM slight edge here too.

Durability between the two......don't really care...:)

Fedace
03-18-2011, 04:27 AM
everyone agrees ?

arche3
03-18-2011, 04:53 AM
Agree. I have used both extensively in the past full beds.

Fedace
03-18-2011, 04:55 AM
Agree. I have used both extensively in the past full beds.

WOW, nice to know. so many have ragged on me about how Luxilon alu is better in spin, durability and power and so on and so on.

J_aces
03-18-2011, 05:40 AM
I think rpm is better than Alu

Fedace
03-18-2011, 05:50 AM
I think rpm is better than Alu

I think only thing is RPM is little more expensive. but Alu power is very plastic feeling. and RPM is worth that little more money

laboule
03-18-2011, 06:03 AM
I think only thing is RPM is little more expensive. but Alu power is very plastic feeling. and RPM is worth that little more money

? Alu Power is more expensive man...

Bartelby
03-18-2011, 06:06 AM
I prefer alu as I find it has more power and spin when both strung in the mid forties.

Fedace
03-18-2011, 06:13 AM
I prefer alu as I find it has more power and spin when both strung in the mid forties.

I agree on power but Not spin. RPM blast definitely gives me more spin,,,,Nasty kind of spin that makes guys miss-hit their return of serves....

Boricua
03-18-2011, 06:14 AM
Ok, i have been told on so many occasions that Alu power is Superior string in every aspect. I DISAGREE. i have been hitting with alu power for last week or so, just to experiment. I have to say RPM blast provides SUPERIOR spin,,, nasty kind of spin. and Power wise, sure alu power had little more but Not by much. and in feel department, RPM blows away Luxilon. and Control department,,,,,i say they are very similar,,,but i once again have to give RPM slight edge here too.

I tried RPM and never Luxilon/ Nonetheless I liked Weiss Cannon Black5Edge more than RPM Blast. Similar spin potential, but better feel and more tension maintenance.

Bartelby
03-18-2011, 06:25 AM
You may be right, but because I could get more power with alu I went for even more power so probably got more spin as a result whereas blast's lower power left me struggling.

I agree on power but Not spin. RPM blast definitely gives me more spin,,,,Nasty kind of spin that makes guys miss-hit their return of serves....

wao
03-18-2011, 08:13 AM

I would also have to agree as I have hit with both. Reciently I have been hitting with Lux Savage and feel it combindes the qualities of both imo(only).

rudester
03-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Have tried both, there are better strings out there IMHO, for both spin, power, and comfort.

J_aces
03-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Fedace have you tried any genesis strings yet. The express has typhoon buy 2 get third free and I just got it. Will compare it to rpm. Lux doesn't feel special to me. Rpm does but doesn't last long enough

NLBwell
03-18-2011, 09:39 PM
To me, the Lux Alu is special - just wish it didn't cost so much. Everyone has different strokes and different likes.

000KFACTOR90000
03-19-2011, 03:46 AM
IMO Alu > RPM by a large margin.

TheBoom
03-19-2011, 05:12 AM
Black widow blows rpm And luxilon out of he water

JasonPlaysTennis
03-19-2011, 01:19 PM
RPM Breaks too easily and ALU loses tension way too quickly. I like Prince Beast XP 17 compared to both of them. RPM is superior in the spin department, but Beast is the most durable, holds the best tension and gives a lot more control compared to any poly i have ever used. after 50 hours of hitting my original stringing of 63lbs the tension is at 59lbs and I still feel like i'm getting all the spin and control that i was at 63.

J_aces
03-19-2011, 08:48 PM
RPM Breaks too easily and ALU loses tension way too quickly. I like Prince Beast XP 17 compared to both of them. RPM is superior in the spin department, but Beast is the most durable, holds the best tension and gives a lot more control compared to any poly i have ever used. after 50 hours of hitting my original stringing of 63lbs the tension is at 59lbs and I still feel like i'm getting all the spin and control that i was at 63.

While this is true beast gives WAY less spin and therefore doesn't cut it for me. Beast with edges would be awesome :)

Blade0324
03-19-2011, 08:50 PM
I'm going to have to go with Fedace on this one. RPM is far superior in most every aspect. I also have tried ALU power full bed at 56 recently and RPM just feels as though it grabs the ball and tears around it when you try to hit spin. I guess if you hit a flatter ball ALU might be pretty good but for a player that like to use a lot of spin RPM just blows ALU out of the water.

parasailing
03-19-2011, 08:59 PM
I think Alu Power is just an average string with RPM being slightly above average. I guess I don't have the racquet speed to utilize the benefits of Alu Power. RPM is softer and I would prefer that over Alu Power but there are other strings out there that offer similar performance for half the price of these two strings.

tennis_balla
03-19-2011, 10:18 PM
I've played with both, no hybrid stringing here. The RPM Blast does feel like it grabs the ball more and is definitely a nice string. I never liked any of the old Hurricane strings so I was sceptical of the RPM at first but it was a nice surprise in the end. ALU Power is just solid string all around, can't go wrong if you like poly's. I wouldn't say one is better than the other as both have plenty to offer, its just a different feel and different results. RPM Blast does feel a tad softer as well.

Fedace
03-20-2011, 02:23 AM
I think Alu Power is just an average string with RPM being slightly above average. I guess I don't have the racquet speed to utilize the benefits of Alu Power. RPM is softer and I would prefer that over Alu Power but there are other strings out there that offer similar performance for half the price of these two strings.

then which Poly do you find to be far above average ?

Fedace
03-20-2011, 02:25 AM
I'm going to have to go with Fedace on this one. RPM is far superior in most every aspect. I also have tried ALU power full bed at 56 recently and RPM just feels as though it grabs the ball and tears around it when you try to hit spin. I guess if you hit a flatter ball ALU might be pretty good but for a player that like to use a lot of spin RPM just blows ALU out of the water.

I agree with you. the rough edges or shape of the strings doesn't seem to make ton of difference when it comes to spin potential among polys. It is Odd but it is true. This RPM has some kind of weird coating on it and Babolat say that is what makes the difference.

dr325i
03-20-2011, 04:23 AM
I am also with the OP on this. The RPM is a string designed to accommodate us, recreational players, too. The ALU Power is a string you put on, play your match (or X amount of games) and then you restrung it. There is no worse setup than "dead" ALU Power, and it dies quickly!

tennis_balla
03-20-2011, 05:10 AM
I disagree that ALU Power dies quickly. If you want a string that dies quick, play some of the cheaper poly's on the market then come back and comment ;)

anhuynh16
03-20-2011, 05:20 AM
RPM is the best spin string, but it loses tension easily.
Luxilon alu power is ok. But the best string of all time is luxilon adrealine 18 gauge

drakulie
03-20-2011, 05:40 AM
RPM loses tension WAY too quickly. Has about average spin, and power. It's on the soft side so I guess that is nice for a poly. That said, inexpensive synthetics offer more and are just as soft.

Marcus
03-20-2011, 07:12 AM
I would also have to agree as I have hit with both. Reciently I have been hitting with Lux Savage and feel it combindes the qualities of both imo(only).

This is my conclusion also....

Fedace
03-20-2011, 07:40 AM
This is my conclusion also....

Lux Savage is cheaper more economical version of Alu power series, description states. so how can a cheaper string be better ??:confused:

Fedace
03-20-2011, 07:43 AM
RPM loses tension WAY too quickly. Has about average spin, and power. It's on the soft side so I guess that is nice for a poly. That said, inexpensive synthetics offer more and are just as soft.

Not sure about the spin part. i compared spin potential and RPM definitely gave me more spin than alu power. and alu power is one of the more spin oriented strings in the market.

Up&comer
03-20-2011, 09:25 AM
I think the difference is that rpm gives way more spin while, IMO, alu gives control by being low powered and pretty spin friendly. With rpm the ball stays on the racket longer which can help with spin while alu is low powered and very stiff. So i think the basic difference is how the string produces control. I think it's more about what feels better to a certain game style. Personally, I do prefer rpm over alu in almost every catagory.

tennis_balla
03-20-2011, 01:56 PM

Not at all. Look at what the pro's are currently doing. Stringing in the low 50's or high 40's with poly. Use a string like ALU Power or RPM Blast at those tensions and you're still getting a ton of control, lots of spin and a very comfortable sweet spot. Thats the biggest change in the game in the last 10 years or so. No Syn-gut offers those types of benefits. There's a reason why so many pro's have hopped on the poly train. For those recreational players who say poly's aren't all that, their games don't benefit and/or aren't good enough to be playing with such a string. I'm not pointing anyone out, just talking in general but its as simple as that.

Fedace
03-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Not at all. Look at what the pro's are currently doing. Stringing in the low 50's or high 40's with poly. Use a string like ALU Power or RPM Blast at those tensions and you're still getting a ton of control, lots of spin and a very comfortable sweet spot. Thats the biggest change in the game in the last 10 years or so. No Syn-gut offers those types of benefits. There's a reason why so many pro's have hopped on the poly train. For those recreational players who say poly's aren't all that, their games don't benefit and/or aren't good enough to be playing with such a string. I'm not pointing anyone out, just talking in general but its as simple as that.

so are you saying RPM gives more spin than Alu power ??:confused:

tennis_balla
03-20-2011, 04:03 PM
so are you saying RPM gives more spin than Alu power ??:confused:

Where did I say this?

purple-n-gold
03-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Lux Savage is cheaper more economical version of Alu power series, description states. so how can a cheaper string be better ??:confused:

Its not "like" Alu...nowhere near as stiff and/or firm. Softer,less power than Alu, not as soft as RPM. I like it better than RPM btw.

drakulie
03-20-2011, 05:07 PM

what does any of this have to do with my post? I'll break it down for you:

An inexpensive multi will have WAY better tension maintenance than RPM.
An inexpensive multi will play fresher WAY longer than RPM.
An inexpensive multi will have way more power than RPM.
An inexpensive multi will be much softer than RPM.
An inexpensive multi will have a little bet less spin potential than RPM.Therefore, for the price of RPM which is way overpriced and overhyped, there isn't much benefit compared to a inexpensive multi, much less much better poly strings.

Hominator
03-20-2011, 06:08 PM

An inexpensive multi will have a little bet less spin potential than RPM.Therefore, for the price of RPM which is way overpriced and overhyped, there isn't much benefit compared to a inexpensive multi, much less much better poly strings.

Drukulie, what are some of the better ploys on the market, in your opinion?

Thanks!

Fedace
03-20-2011, 06:53 PM

but Drak, advanced 4.5 player like myself that play Nadal like style of tennis really need the help of Poly that produces mondo spin. but i do see your point. as i get older, i am finding out that i have to use the hybrid with good multi string to get that extra feel.
Anyway,,,,,Pam Shriver said Nadal with RPM blast in his racket has produced 7800 RPM of spin with his groundies. Where Federer has only produced 3500 RPM or so. and most other players produce about 2500 RPM's.
Pretty incredible stuff...............:):) What do you think of RPM blast now ? lol

NLBwell
03-20-2011, 08:01 PM

My problem withinexpensive multis is 1) they break quickly and I pay for stringing, and 2) I get too much power/trampolining. Prior to switching to poly I played with kevlar.

tennis_balla
03-20-2011, 08:19 PM

You are completely missing the point of why pro players use poly's in the first place and I explained it in my first post. Poly's do have less spin, less power, and are harsher then some inexpensive syn-gut but then why are 90% of the pro's using them? #1 reason is control and the fact that they can swing full out and not have to worry about the ball sailing long on them. Pro's went from 13oz rackets strung with gut in the high 60's and low 70's a lot of time time, to using lighter rackets with smaller grips with lower tensions and poly strings.
They don't need ample amount of spin or power, but strings like ALU Power and RPM Blast give them the ability to crush the ball and still keep it in the court which they wouldn't be able to do with multi-filaments. For a poly string RPM Blast does offer plenty of spin, doesn't break on them (when was the last time you saw a pro break a string mid point? it basically never happens now) and like I said stringing it lower give them the benefit of a larger sweet spot as well, thats why the game is now a baseliners dream.

Also, like I said before poly's are not for everyone and unless you're ripping the felt off the ball on every shot then stick to syn-gut or maybe a hybrid. Besides, like with gut which doesn't last long pros don't care about tension loss with poly's because they cut them out anyways from match to match, practice to practice according to weather conditions and so on. Of course recreational players can't always do this, and it becomes expensive.

Fedace
03-20-2011, 08:23 PM
^^Tennisball. One thing i did notice was that if playing on super fast Slick test courts, the topspin shots really SIT up and just say Hit me. and flat hitters really wack the ball and take advantage of it.
and RPM blast produces alot of sitting ducks if i play on slick fast surface.

cork_screw
03-20-2011, 09:04 PM
RPM by a landslide. It's softer, holds tension more and even looks better.

TheOC
03-20-2011, 09:05 PM
I go with a hybrid set up, and I tried the RPM Blast last summer. It was a good string, but I feel like the RPM was a little too soft for me, wasn't as crisp as the ALU Rough. I like the crisp feeling I get from the ALU Rough, feels as though the string really grips the ball. Also I feel that the crisp sensation really lets me know when I mishit the ball or hit it cleanly. After every stroke I can pretty much tell exactly where on the stringbed the ball made contact. This is something I didn't really have with the RPM Blast.

I played several sets against a guy who plays for University of New Mexico with each set up. I had my normal tension set up, 52 lbs on the RPM and ALU Rough, and 57 lbs on the syn gut (Sensation 16). In terms of performance they both played about the same for me, but I felt like with the ALU Rough the racquet head was an actual limb attached my body; in that I could sort of feel where I was striking the ball. The RPM Blast was definitely very comfortable and soft, and I could see where some people may like that kind of feel. However, the BLX 90s already feel dampened and soft enough for me so I don't need anymore things to help feel as if I'm swinging through air lol.

I've never had issues with tension loss with the ALU Rough, however I tend to break strings every 2-3 days so I never give them enough time to really lose a lot of tension. I probably should switch to a full bed of poly due to the rate at which I'm breaking strings; however, full poly just doesn't have the kind of feel that the hybrid has. I break mains some of the time anyways, so I don't think a full bed would last me longer than 4 hits anyways

2Hare
03-20-2011, 09:48 PM
but Drak, advanced 4.5 player like myself that play Nadal like style of tennis really need the help of Poly that produces mondo spin. but i do see your point. as i get older, i am finding out that i have to use the hybrid with good multi string to get that extra feel.
Anyway,,,,,Pam Shriver said Nadal with RPM blast in his racket has produced 7800 RPM of spin with his groundies. Where Federer has only produced 3500 RPM or so. and most other players produce about 2500 RPM's.
Pretty incredible stuff...............:):) What do you think of RPM blast now ? lol

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/340600-does-rafael-nadal-hit-with-too-much-topspin

I agree with your point, but your figure is way over the top. Nadal hits with 3200 rpm and Fed at 2500 usually. Multi degrades really fast for 4.0 or even 3.5 level power players. It has linear tension drop, while poly has high initial tension drop and low tension drop afterward. So average poly would actually last longer than average multi for most young 3.5+ players. Old players at the same level tends to hit with a lot of flat shots, so they don't mind the multi i guess.

2Hare
03-20-2011, 09:56 PM
You are completely missing the point of why pro players use poly's in the first place and I explained it in my first post. Poly's do have less spin, less power, and are harsher then some inexpensive syn-gut but then why are 90% of the pro's using them? #1 reason is control and the fact that they can swing full out and not have to worry about the ball sailing long on them. Pro's went from 13oz rackets strung with gut in the high 60's and low 70's a lot of time time, to using lighter rackets with smaller grips with lower tensions and poly strings.
They don't need ample amount of spin or power, but strings like ALU Power and RPM Blast give them the ability to crush the ball and still keep it in the court which they wouldn't be able to do with multi-filaments. For a poly string RPM Blast does offer plenty of spin, doesn't break on them (when was the last time you saw a pro break a string mid point? it basically never happens now) and like I said stringing it lower give them the benefit of a larger sweet spot as well, thats why the game is now a baseliners dream.

Also, like I said before poly's are not for everyone and unless you're ripping the felt off the ball on every shot then stick to syn-gut or maybe a hybrid. Besides, like with gut which doesn't last long pros don't care about tension loss with poly's because they cut them out anyways from match to match, practice to practice according to weather conditions and so on. Of course recreational players can't always do this, and it becomes expensive.

I don't know where you hear what you hear that multi has more spin than poly, but it's very wrong. I have never used a multi that has more spin than poly, have you tried poly?? Even natural gut, what multi tries to emulate, has way less spin than poly. The fact is, pro switched to poly because of its amazing spin and control it's that simple. Even Federer switched from full gut to poly hybrid to gain the benefit of poly's spin. I don't think anyone who has tried poly would argue that it has less spin, which leads me to question whether you have ever tried poly strings?

tennis_balla
03-20-2011, 10:00 PM
I don't know where you hear what you hear that multi has more spin than poly, but it's very wrong. I have never used a multi that has more spin than poly, have you tried poly?? Even natural gut, what multi tries to emulate, has way less spin than poly. The fact is, pro switched to poly because of its amazing spin and control it's that simple. Even Federer switched from full gut to poly hybrid to gain the benefit of poly's spin. I don't think anyone who has tried poly would argue that it has less spin, which leads me to question whether you have ever tried poly strings?

I have been playing with poly's since '99 full string bed and the only type of string I use. The reason poly's have more spin is because they allow you to take bigger cuts at the ball. If you equal that to the string having lots of spin then thats ok. I never said poly's lack spin, they do give plenty of it but its also because of the way the string allows you to play.

2Hare
03-20-2011, 10:22 PM
I have been playing with poly's since '99 full string bed and the only type of string I use. The reason poly's have more spin is because they allow you to take bigger cuts at the ball. If you equal that to the string having lots of spin then thats ok. I never said poly's lack spin, they do give plenty of it but its also because of the way the string allows you to play.

Ok I thought everyone knows this by now. Poly generate spin by allowing strings to slide and then snap back during dwell time of the ball on the string bed adding spin to the ball. I think they explain it on TW University, you should go check it out. You didn't say poly lack spin, but you said syn string generate more spin than poly, which is wrong.

tennis_balla
03-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Not exactly but its ok no use arguing :)

Andre D
03-20-2011, 11:09 PM

Ill tell you what I think, that Nadal really Is a bull, that guy has like 2 or 3 times my arm and he has great skills, Its not the strings, they may help, but they dont help 4000 RPMs..lol

J_aces
03-21-2011, 05:57 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/340600-does-rafael-nadal-hit-with-too-much-topspin

I agree with your point, but your figure is way over the top. Nadal hits with 3200 rpm and Fed at 2500 usually. Multi degrades really fast for 4.0 or even 3.5 level power players. It has linear tension drop, while poly has high initial tension drop and low tension drop afterward. So average poly would actually last longer than average multi for most young 3.5+ players. Old players at the same level tends to hit with a lot of flat shots, so they don't mind the multi i guess.

On tv they said nadal has hit with as much as 7800 rpm before

drakulie
03-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Drukulie, what are some of the better ploys on the market, in your opinion?

Thanks!

for starters, Hurricane Tour is a better string. Pro Supex Big Ace, Lux Alu Power, Rough, Timo, genesis black magic, typhoon, pro line 2, etc, etc, etc,

your numbers are way off. But any-how, I think Sampras using a small headed, underpowered frame, strung with natural gut over 70lbs got more spin than nadal does with an over-powered, spin friendly frame, using a supposed "spinny" string.

You are completely missing the point of why pro players use poly's in the first place and I explained it in my first post.

actually, you are the one missing the point. Please go back and read my initial post. (the first one you responded to).

Poly's do have less spin, less power, and are harsher then some inexpensive syn-gut but then why are 90% of the pro's using them? #1 reason is control and the fact that they can swing full out and not have to worry about the ball sailing long on them. Pro's went from 13oz rackets strung with gut in the high 60's and low 70's a lot of time time, to using lighter rackets with smaller grips with lower tensions and poly strings.

and again, what does any of this have to do with my initial post where I say RPM is about average in the spin department, and loses tension WAY too quickly compared to other strings, and then add that less expensive sythetics offer more?????

For a poly string RPM Blast does offer plenty of spin, doesn't break on them (when was the last time you saw a pro break a string mid point? it basically never happens now)

The reason pros don't break strings, is because they are using fresh string jobs for every match, and nearly every practice session. They rarely, if ever use the same string job twice. Couple that with the fact they have 4-7 freshly string frames that they use for about 30-40 minutes during a match, and this is the reason you don't see them breaking strings.

I would know, being that I have strung for pros. At the Delray ATP we string over 500 frames. Not one came back with a broken string. NOT ONE.

Here is a thread on pro's gear and stringing at the Delray I started in case you are interested:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=372144

Lastly, although RPM will not break as quickly as a less expensive sythetic/multi, fact is, the second time you take it out for a hit, it is already dead, so you need to cut it out anyway. Of course, most people don't realize this, and continue using it for weeks on end, and repeat the same things you are saying here.

I playtested RPM twice before it hit the market. Once when TW sent out samples (b-432-c????), and before that, when it was named Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour BLACK.

Both times, it lost a ton of tension within 24 hours, went dead on the second day, and didn't last much longer than multis. Approx 8-10 hours of use.

For what RPM claims to be (a giant in the spin department), it actually isn't. It is average, on course with many multis, which have more power, comfort, and last nearly as long, and in some cases longer,,,,,,,,and yet cost 3 times less.

To finish, their isnt many pros we strung for that were using RPM. For the most part, they were using Lux Alu Power.

tennis_balla
03-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Most still have stuck to Alu Power that is true. I like both but still prefer the Luxilon.
What I meant by breaking string is that before you got the odd break here and there when pros were using gut strings, they'd always fiddle with their string savers in between points and so on, not anymore.

I remember the first time I played with Kirschbaum Super Smash, talk about tension loss. When I switched to Alu Power it was like heaven. Poly's have never been good with holding tension you are right. Alu does a very good job of it being a poly but the others are mostly terrible. Other good ones I've tried are Signum Poly Plasma I think it was. Truth is though a lot of players don't care, or mind and keep playing with the dead poly's. I've seen guys rackets over in Europe, especially juniors who are training full time having poly's in their rackets till it breaks and they do break it.
I think we might be arguing the same thing here, just different ways of saying it. Like I said before poly isn't for everyone and when I said RPM has good spin I was comparing poly to poly. A multifilament will give you more power and spin, I think someone else was arguing that earlier.

JT_2eighty
03-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Pam Shriver said Nadal with RPM blast in his racket has produced 7800 RPM of spin with his groundies. Where Federer has only produced 3500 RPM or so. and most other players produce about 2500 RPM's.

Rule of thumb: never trust the pro commentators once they discuss aspects of gear and/or stats like this. The former pros are an amazing source of knowledge when it comes to mechanics, technique, strategy, placement, etc etc... but as soon as they start blabbing about strings and racquet technology, most of the time they end up spouting out tennis myth as it has perpetuated all over the place.

Martina Navratilova calls poly/co-poly strings nylon.
Tracy Austin has been quoted to say natural gut loses tension faster than all other strings on the market.
Now Shriver is pulling a number, 7800 RPMs, out of thin air... was probably just some kind of comparison she was trying to make, who knows.

I'd love to see some kind of documentation showing these player RPM facts, honestly. :lol:

bad_call
03-21-2011, 09:21 AM
The reason pros don't break strings, is because they are using fresh string jobs for every match, and nearly every practice session.

not true. talked to a touring pro that uses full poly. said he broke strings in like 5 hours. practices 2-4 hours a day.

drakulie
03-21-2011, 09:44 AM
not true. talked to a touring pro that uses full poly. said he broke strings in like 5 hours. practices 2-4 hours a day.

And what pro player plays a match that lasts 5 hours and only uses one racquet????

Go back and read my post. I've strung at a *PRO* tounamemt for PROS, including tipsarevic, Blake, delpotro, Isner, etc. Not one came back with a broken string. In fact, of the 500+ racquets that were strung, not one was broken.

bad_call
03-21-2011, 09:50 AM
And what pro player plays a match that lasts 5 hours and only uses one racquet????

Go back and read my post. I've strung at a *PRO* tounamemt for PROS, including tipsarevic, Blake, delpotro, Isner, etc. Not one came back with a broken string. In fact, of the 500+ racquets that were strung, not one was broken.

where did u read in my post "one racquet"?

bad_call
03-21-2011, 09:54 AM
The reason pros don't break strings, is because they are using fresh string jobs for every match, and nearly every practice session.

to post this for all pros is a bit...hmmmm.

bad_call
03-21-2011, 09:56 AM

maybe Steady Eddy can point out the flaw in your logic.

Overthenet
03-21-2011, 12:45 PM
To finish, their isnt many pros we strung for that were using RPM. For the most part, they were using Lux Alu Power.

Drakulie, do you see more pros using power or power rough?

Sardines
03-21-2011, 01:24 PM
I switched from Luxilon Alu Power Big Banger to RPM Blast 17. I found RPM has that bit more bite (especially strung @ 35lbs). It definitely isn't as powerful as Alu.
For some strange reason, while the RPM feels softer, I now feel more muscle strain/tendinitis symptoms than with the Alu BB. It may be I'm trying to hit with more top spin or because of less power, I'm trying to hit harder to compensate.

tennisrepcal
03-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Hands down Kirschbaum's Pro Line II is better than both PRM or Lux alu power for playability, control, and comfort! Comes pre-stretched too! Check out TW's buy 2 get 4 offer and you'll find out for yourself.....

Fedace
03-21-2011, 03:46 PM

Drak,,,, not sure the numbers were correct but Pam Shriver did definitely say Nadal produced Highest RPM of topspin EVER produced in pro tennis ever in history. and that included Sampras with gut. I think Sampras only came in about 4th or 5th place....:confused:

big bang
03-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Drakulie and tennis_balla is pretty much saying the same thing here.. And I agree.

What some ppl dont understand about polys, is that low level and mediocre club players with slow swing speeds, will not get more spin out of a poly compared to synthetics, in fact its the other way around. But for players with good technique and racquet head speed the poly does allow you to really rip the ball and put more spin on it than you can with normal synthetics. The question is.. are you good enough to use the advantage poly provides you with?, if not you better leave it alone!.

Some ppl use poly because of its durability, but unless you are a serious stringbreaker its the wrong reason to use them. If you are not a stringbreaker the poly will go dead long before you would break any synthetic string and then theres no point of using it!.

Im a cronic stringbreaker, I use thin gauge polys - 1.10-1.20, sometimes 1.25, but I break them in 4-6 hours so I never have to cut them out. I used multis for many years but hated the fact that I could sometimes break several strings during a single match . Now with poly I rarely break more than one when playing tournamenst or team matches.

drakulie
03-21-2011, 07:10 PM
where did u read in my post "one racquet"?

Here is your post:

You said you talked to "A" touring pro.......meaning, ONE. You also added that he broke strings "in like 5 hours".

Now, would you like to clairfy how many string jobs he broke in 5 hours???? From your post, anyone would conclude it is one.

Is it two? Five? eight hundred????

to post this for all pros is a bit...hmmmm.

I didn't say "all pros". Rather, gave a factual testament, based on my experience and knowledge, as to why pros typically don't break strings during matches.

For example,,,,,

James Blake has TWO racquets. He uses one for practice, and one solely for the match. He has them strung every day fresh. Again, he uses only ONE for matches, and he rarely, if ever breaks the strings. I'm sure you are aware he is one of the hardest hitters on tour, and again, doesn't break that one set of strings on that one racquet during a match.

The reason I know this, is because I have participated on the string team that strung for him during the Delray.

alu power.

Drak,,,, not sure the numbers were correct but Pam Shriver did definitely say Nadal produced Highest RPM of topspin EVER produced in pro tennis ever in history. and that included Sampras with gut. I think Sampras only came in about 4th or 5th place....:confused:

Pam Shiver is a total idiot and has no business being a commentator, or speaking about anything related to tennis. If you are getting your knowledge from her, you are in trouble.

J_aces
03-21-2011, 07:17 PM
^^ are you saying she pulled out the number 7800 rpm out of thin air. That number must have come from somewhere

drakulie
03-21-2011, 07:18 PM

alu power.

drakulie
03-21-2011, 07:21 PM
^^ are you saying she pulled out the number 7800 rpm out of thin air. That number must have come from somewhere

it wouldn't surpirse me if she read it from a pre-teen poster on these boards.

Seriously though, many times commentators have absolutely no clue what they are talking about. As someone else said, especially related to gear and equipment.

bad_call
03-22-2011, 05:08 AM
drakulie - your logic and reading comprehension are beyond description. lol

getsby
03-22-2011, 06:29 AM
the main criteria for the strings is the power, durability, string movement. Alu power to fully satisfy me. PRM good strings for the first time, but need more frequent replacement. Not for me

drakulie
03-22-2011, 07:08 PM
drakulie - your logic and reading comprehension are beyond description. lol

Yeah. OK. :roll:

Ennismt
03-22-2011, 07:42 PM
it wouldn't surpirse me if she read it from a pre-teen poster on these boards.

Seriously though, many times commentators have absolutely no clue what they are talking about. As someone else said, especially related to gear and equipment.

I think the commentators and network are getting paid to talk about specific brands of strings (e.g., Babolat strings at the French Open last year) and now, indirectly, about racquets. For example, the talk of Woz's idols being Selles, Hingis, and Kournakova (sp?). These are all former Yonex players that became known with Woz's switch to Yonex. Sure, Woz and Co. may have fed this to them but its hard to believe the network is not a willing (or bought) cooperator. Given the reputation that tennis marketing has (i.e., paintjobs, etc.) I'd listen to Drak more than Pam or anyone in the "business".

By the way, I think the rpms Pam is talking about are more the result of Rafa than the strings, particularly compared to the rec player.

JT_2eighty
03-23-2011, 05:30 AM
I think the commentators and network are getting paid to talk about specific brands of strings (e.g., Babolat strings at the French Open last year) and now, indirectly, about racquets. For example, the talk of Woz's idols being Selles, Hingis, and Kournakova (sp?). These are all former Yonex players that became known with Woz's switch to Yonex. Sure, Woz and Co. may have fed this to them but its hard to believe the network is not a willing (or bought) cooperator. Given the reputation that tennis marketing has (i.e., paintjobs, etc.) I'd listen to Drak more than Pam or anyone in the "business".

By the way, I think the rpms Pam is talking about are more the result of Rafa than the strings, particularly compared to the rec player.

Agree on both. Well said. Rafa would generate as much spin using ALU, PHT or Gosen Polylon.

Alzer
03-25-2011, 08:50 AM
Just moved from RPM, full bed, to Alu power mains and Wilson NXT crosses - and I have to say that I prefer this mix.

Pinkskunk
04-16-2011, 12:21 PM
I generate alot of topspin naturally due to the way i swing the racket and i have tried RPM and ALU Power rough. I can tell you that ALU has more power and more spin than RPM. what this mean is i can drive the ball deeper and with more spin which means my opponent dislike. alot of time the ball clipped the base line and bounced high.

the cost of this more power and spin is shoulder pain so i hvae to hibrid with Babolat VS guts.

Fedace
04-16-2011, 05:12 PM
I generate alot of topspin naturally due to the way i swing the racket and i have tried RPM and ALU Power rough. I can tell you that ALU has more power and more spin than RPM. what this mean is i can drive the ball deeper and with more spin which means my opponent dislike. alot of time the ball clipped the base line and bounced high.

the cost of this more power and spin is shoulder pain so i hvae to hibrid with Babolat VS guts.

Yea but when Alu power goes dead, what do you do ? do you cut it out ? do you break the string-probably the gut before Alu goes dead ?

Cup8489
04-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Yea but when Alu power goes dead, what do you do ? do you cut it out ? do you break the string-probably the gut before Alu goes dead ?

You cut it out when it goes dead.. same with RPM... which in my experience goes dead more rapidly than ALU Power.

I like ALU Power much more because of the fact it is more powerful, so I can apply more spin but still hit a big shot. RPM, for me, just felt like plastic. I didnt like it at all, and that was before I saw the price. I'd rather play with MSV Focus Hex than that, and that's saying something.

Fedace
04-16-2011, 05:44 PM
You cut it out when it goes dead.. same with RPM... which in my experience goes dead more rapidly than ALU Power.

I like ALU Power much more because of the fact it is more powerful, so I can apply more spin but still hit a big shot. RPM, for me, just felt like plastic. I didnt like it at all, and that was before I saw the price. I'd rather play with MSV Focus Hex than that, and that's saying something.

I like Alu's power as well but it is very harsh string and feel is not good. feels like metal wire. RPM when fresh feels much better. It only feels plasticky when it goes dead.

tigerstring
04-17-2011, 07:27 AM
I feel High level college tennis is a pretty good litmus test since:
A. The players don't pay for the strings
B. The big schools can afford whatever
C. The players aren't be paid to use one string or the other

I'm still seeing A LOT more Alu Power than RPM Blast. Like Six or seven Alu Power to one RPM Blast.

bigcp123
04-17-2011, 08:49 AM
I've been a long time user of either Luxilon Alu power or Luxilon Original mains at 46 pounds in a Babolat Pure Drive. Out of curiosity I strung up a set of RPM Blast 16 at the same tension. RPM was noticeably lower powered, and hurt my arm alot more. I felt like I had to take the cut of my life to generate the pace I normally get with either of the Luxilon strings. So for me, the two Luxilon strings were quite a bit better. Can't comment on durability or tension holding as I only used the RPM for one 3 set match. Again these were all hybrids with basic syn gut crosses at 46 pounds.

Fedace
04-17-2011, 08:51 AM
I've been a long time user of either Luxilon Alu power or Luxilon Original mains at 46 pounds in a Babolat Pure Drive. Out of curiosity I strung up a set of RPM Blast 16 at the same tension. RPM was noticeably lower powered, and hurt my arm alot more. I felt like I had to take the cut of my life to generate the pace I normally get with either of the Luxilon strings. So for me, the two Luxilon strings were quite a bit better. Can't comment on durability or tension holding as I only used the RPM for one 3 set match. Again these were all hybrids with basic syn gut crosses at 46 pounds.

How can RPM hurt your arm more ?? 99.9 % of the users say, RPM is much better for the arm. Less power,,we all agree but RPM is definitely softer and easier on the arm. RPM has some nice pop on the serves also. If i have a good day with placement on my serve, i serve alot of Aces even against 5.0 college level guys.

Sardines
04-17-2011, 12:27 PM
How can RPM hurt your arm more ?? 99.9 % of the users say, RPM is much better for the arm. Less power,,we all agree but RPM is definitely softer and easier on the arm. RPM has some nice pop on the serves also. If i have a good day with placement on my serve, i serve alot of Aces even against 5.0 college level guys.

It feels softer but somehow, it does transmit more vibration. I feel the ball better with RPM, especially @ 35lbs but my forearm does feel more fatigued with RPM than Alu BB. It's strange but looking at the string stiffness comparing the RPM to Alu BB, the RPM is stiffer in quantitative tests (http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/reporter.php). What I think is happening is that the string construction gives transmits more vibration (hence a softer feel) but is actually stiffer than the Alu BB. Certainly in my experience the Alu BB is more powerful.

bruintennis
05-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Interesting thread and read. I've been starting to experiment with hybrids and find that I do get more spin with a poly main and multi cross over full multi.

Fedace
05-29-2011, 09:03 AM
Interesting thread and read. I've been starting to experiment with hybrids and find that I do get more spin with a poly main and multi cross over full multi.

WOW. you should try the Barbwire. that one will give you some major mondo spin. It is a cheaper string too