PDA

View Full Version : awkward Back hand height

maverick447
06-20-2005, 10:50 AM
Got a chance to play with a kid (might turn Pro soon) . This kid was great and power was not his only weapon. All hit shots were endowed with moderate to heavy Top spin . I was able to manage his forehands pretty well but the backhand was awkward . The bounce is around the service box and loops close to my Head heght ( I am 5 .11 ) when it reaches me close to the base line . This pattern totally threw me out . Either i managed to slice , which gave him ample time to punish me or hit it long . I agree that my BH isnt as consistent as the FH .

Any tips to counter this ?

ZhangM58
06-20-2005, 11:06 AM
All I can say is to try to take the ball early. Instead letting the ball kick up, take it on the rise with your backhand, hit it down the line and close in to the net. This is harder to do if you have a 1handed bh.

Grimjack
06-20-2005, 11:31 AM
No.

I have no tips to help you beat anybody about to turn pro. Such a player would lay bagels on me for the rest of my life. I do, however, wish you luck.

Exile
06-20-2005, 11:37 AM
You dont need talent to play tennis, but it sure helps, so does luck.

C_Smith
06-20-2005, 06:24 PM
i would just try and hit deep slices. On occasion i would try to take one early, but i think deep slices would be the way to go.

Tennis Ball Hitter
06-21-2005, 02:20 AM
sheesh, that is some high kick. I can't get my kick serves to bounce that high.

I have to be with Grimjack on this one. The only way I can think of countering this is to take it early. But since it bounces around the service box you going to have to really anticipate the shot is coming and move in very early. Then you have to decide if you can move into the net off your shot or if your have to haul your *** as fast as it can go back to the baseline.

Or you could step back, the easier option, but if it bounces that high at the base line, you are going to have to have one hell of a BH otherwise he'll just move in and put away the volley.

How high "loopy" is the shot/what is the net clearence of it? it sounds like a good shot to try next time I play.

Chanchai
06-21-2005, 05:13 AM
Can't give advice when it comes to facing a player like you described (turning pro), but....

I would try to curb those kicking shots with deep slices (like someone else mentioned), hopefully forcing either weaker shots or loopers that lack kick.

Taking it early helps on approach if he doesn't blast passing shots on you left and right. If you're good at very flat or even sliced half-volley approaches, that might cut off time and give him less to work with. Not saying the flat half-volley approach is easy, though.

-Chanchai

Carley1986
06-21-2005, 06:06 AM
From my experience, there is 2 way of tackling opponent with topspin. One way, is to take the ball very early (on the rise) like roger federer or agassi, or to stay far behind the baseline like rafael nadal. If you choose to stay back, you have to make sure you hit your backhand deep so that he doesn't put it away with a volley. However though I agree with the other posters. Many players these days can't handle slices, so you might give it a try.

newracketagain??
06-21-2005, 05:55 PM
From my experience, there is 2 way of tackling opponent with topspin. One way, is to take the ball very early (on the rise) like roger federer or agassi, or to stay far behind the baseline like rafael nadal. If you choose to stay back, you have to make sure you hit your backhand deep so that he doesn't put it away with a volley. However though I agree with the other posters. Many players these days can't handle slices, so you might give it a try.

is youre avator pic, or whater its called of you ??