PDA

View Full Version : Luxilon BB Ace 18's Tension

PeterFig
03-18-2011, 08:44 PM
I purchased a few sets of Luxilon's Ace 18's strings to try. I've recently tried a few different full strings of poly (SPPP, Tornado, Scorpion, Hyperion, etc) and while I really liked all of them I did miss the crispness I was getting from some multis / synguts I've tried before. I thought the super thin (1.12) Ace 18's would add a bit of that crispness.

So my question for any of you that have tried a full bed of Ace 18's is - how did you find this string played at higher or lower tensions. I thought I had read one time in a post by BHBH that he thought it lost a LOT of tension very quickly. I normally string polys around 54-56lb but not sure what to do with the Ace 18's as they seem unique to the other polys I've tried. Just for reference I use a Asian BLX90 frame.

Any tips / experiences would be appreciated.

tlm
03-18-2011, 08:54 PM
This string plays good at high tension, i have friend that uses it at 66 lbs. I used in the past at high tensions also, seemed like i needed the high tension to get the control i liked.

This string plays like magic the first time out, has good feel even soft at high tension. Great spin+control+good power, but like other polys it plays great for 3-5 hours but then goes to crap.

PeterFig
03-18-2011, 09:00 PM
This string plays good at high tension, i have friend that uses it at 66 lbs. I used in the past at high tensions also, seemed like i needed the high tension to get the control i liked.

This string plays like magic the first time out, has good feel even soft at high tension. Great spin+control+good power, but like other polys it plays great for 3-5 hours but then goes to crap.

Thanks for that. Maybe I'll try it around 58-59lb and it might be more equivalent to the 54-56 I normally use.

I've actually just strung up one frame with it at 52lb (haven't played with it yet) as I wanted to try lower tensions ... unfortunately I think I chose the wrong string for that experiment. :) I do have a few more sets so I'll string up another frame much higher and see.

alidisperanza
03-19-2011, 04:41 PM
String a bit higher than what you're used to (2-3 lbs) The string can take it. I used to pop the string before tension became a significant issue-- fun hit though, while it lasts

PeterFig
03-19-2011, 07:23 PM
String a bit higher than what you're used to (2-3 lbs) The string can take it. I used to pop the string before tension became a significant issue-- fun hit though, while it lasts

Thanks - I played with a frame strung at 52lb tonight - nice string but waaaay too loose. I'll take you're advice and string it about 2-3lb higher than I usually do.

downdaline
03-19-2011, 07:31 PM
When I started out with it, I strung it at 56lbs. Very crisp and great control.

Later, bcos I despise tension drops, I strung it at 48lbs. Slightly better feel with the volleys, not much difference in power (the string is already so low-powered).

Either way, I still got that awesome *CRACK* sound when I served with it.

Just my experience.

Just wondering, what do you not like about the string being too loose? No control? Not stiff enough?

tlm
03-20-2011, 06:18 AM

Sorry but 2-3 lbs. wont make any difference, try 6-10.

rudester
03-20-2011, 06:18 AM
Have been tinkering with ACE tension in 95 square inch frames, have not tried very high tension as to avoid shoulder issues. What seems to work for me is about 56 lbs. I sense that the string seems a bit stiff at first, but when it settles in it is comfortable, creates great spin, much better than all the hyped textured strings, and great control and feel.

alidisperanza
03-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Sorry but 2-3 lbs. wont make any difference, try 6-10.

Can't agree with you here... 2-3 lbs can make a difference if you're tension sensitive. While it may not seem significant, it's enough to tighten up the string bed without drastically changing the characteristics.

PeterFig
03-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks for everyone's replies and opinions. It's interesting to see the variation in what people like.

I have 3 identical BLX90's so I might just string them at: 52lb, 56lb and 60lb and see which I like the most.

I'm not sure if I didn't like the 'looseness' of the 52lb just by the way it felt when the ball hit the string bed or if it was a control issue. I think it was more the feel so maybe it's just something I have to get used to.

alidisperanza
03-20-2011, 02:28 PM
My personal vote would be to the 56-60 range. I think I used to string Ace in my LM Radical @ 62, haha

BounceHitBounceHit
03-22-2011, 05:06 AM
I string my ABLX 90's at 63# to get a measured tension of 47# with BB Ace 18. Comfortable, spinny as they come, and great control! BHBH

PeterFig
03-22-2011, 07:25 AM
I string my ABLX 90's at 63# to get a measured tension of 47# with BB Ace 18. Comfortable, spinny as they come, and great control! BHBH

Thanks - I tried it at 56lb Sunday night but it felt a bit stiff to me. To be fair I only tried it for about 20-30 minutes of doubles and didn't give it much time to 'break in'. I think I'll try to have a full session of singles with it tonight (2hrs) and then I should have a better idea of how it feels. I did like the control and as you said spin seemed to come very easily.

I'm used to playing with either very soft polys (ex: SPPP) or hybrids of softer polys with a comfortable multi like NRG2. I've only recently dropped tension on my string jobs to around 56lb and started experimenting with other polys. I used to always string around 61lb.

alidisperanza
03-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Good to hear it-- No offense to the others but there's a reason I suggested a few lbs and not 6-10 as it changes the playing characteristics of the string. If you're not used to the high tension polys, anything will feel like a board above 60

Overheadsmash
03-22-2011, 08:36 AM
I use this string a lot and the thin gauge allows it to bit into the ball better allowing for more spin. I string it at 58 in a Donnay X-Red 99. My arm or shoulder is never sore with this string either.

kalic
03-22-2011, 12:03 PM
I tried it at lower than my usual tension, and control was very bad.

Seng
03-22-2011, 01:57 PM
i use to play with ACE. now i'm playing with timo. with either string, i string them high. 62lbs is the magic number on my head microgel radical 98.

even strung high in tension, both the ace and timo held tension well and was very durable. i switch cause the timo had a better feel to it than the ace.

PeterFig
04-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Quick update on my ace 18s - played 2+ hours of singles and doubles with 56lb after about a 30min break in the other day. Loved it!!!!! Great combination of pop, spin, control, and a wonderful solid feel when you hit the sweet spot. I might have found my new favorite string!!!

It did need the break in though to get the characteristics out of the string.

tlm
04-08-2011, 05:43 AM
Can't agree with you here... 2-3 lbs can make a difference if you're tension sensitive. While it may not seem significant, it's enough to tighten up the string bed without drastically changing the characteristics.

With some strings when getting to the what i call the board up point 2-3 lbs can make a difference. Not with bb ace i would bet big money that i could string up a few rackets + change the tension by 2 lbs. in 1 of them + you or anyone else could not tell the difference.

My hitting partner is using a blx 90 with bb ace at 70 lbs. thats right 70 lbs. I have tried it a few times+ it does not feel that tight, it actually feels soft. I know many will not believe this but it is true. Me + a few of my friends have experimented with bb ace for years. I think i know a little more about this string than you do.

This string does not seem to board out like many others do. When i was using a yonex rds a few years ago i used bb ace at 66 lbs. in it + it played very nice, had a nice soft feel to it at that high tension. It is like other polys as far as it will only have that nice feel for a few hours. I never use any poly for more than 6-10 hours, after that they all feel like crap to me.

jgtthd
04-08-2011, 08:36 AM
I purchased a few sets of Luxilon's Ace 18's strings to try. I've recently tried a few different full strings of poly (SPPP, Tornado, Scorpion, Hyperion, etc) and while I really liked all of them I did miss the crispness I was getting from some multis / synguts I've tried before. I thought the super thin (1.12) Ace 18's would add a bit of that crispness.

So my question for any of you that have tried a full bed of Ace 18's is - how did you find this string played at higher or lower tensions. I thought I had read one time in a post by BHBH that he thought it lost a LOT of tension very quickly. I normally string polys around 54-56lb but not sure what to do with the Ace 18's as they seem unique to the other polys I've tried. Just for reference I use a Asian BLX90 frame.

Any tips / experiences would be appreciated.

my doubles partner swears by this string and has his done at 55lbs

hoodjem
04-08-2011, 01:52 PM
I purchased a few sets of Luxilon's Ace 18's strings to try. I've recently tried a few different full strings of poly (SPPP, Tornado, Scorpion, Hyperion, etc) and while I really liked all of them I did miss the crispness I was getting from some multis / synguts I've tried before. I thought the super thin (1.12) Ace 18's would add a bit of that crispness. Not a full-bed, but in a few hybrids.

I loved its crispness (and spin).

kiteboard
04-08-2011, 07:45 PM
It's not crisp, it's soft, with good spin and touch for drop shots.