PDA

View Full Version : Low power string but NOT harsh?

borgpro
03-19-2011, 11:25 AM
I am confused with all the new strings!
Some of them that I tried are way too powerfull for my classic long flat strokes.
Which string will give me LOW LOW power without being harsh/stiff, but remaining touch?

mikeler
03-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Some of them that I tried are way too powerfull for my classic long flat strokes.
Which string will give me LOW LOW power without being harsh/stiff, but remaining touch?

Mantis Comfort Synthetic is low powered and is the softest non-natural gut string I've ever hit with. The downside is durability for me, but if you have flat strokes it may last much longer.

scotus
03-19-2011, 12:41 PM

That's easy. Head rip control.

mikeler
03-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Mantis Comfort is softer than RIP but both are low powered and are very unique compared to all the other multifilaments out there.

bfactor61
03-19-2011, 03:59 PM
i found kirsch competition to be very low powerd

SteveI
03-19-2011, 04:21 PM
That's easy. Head rip control.

Thats the one I was thinking of...

Keifers
03-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Maxim Touch is low-powered multi and has excellent pocketing, feel and touch. I would highly recommend it to flatter hitters.

J_aces
03-19-2011, 09:22 PM
WC b5e for a poly

Tennis100
03-19-2011, 09:34 PM
WC b5e for a poly

Dunlop black widow, it is actually the softest poly on the market, and it doesn't have that much power.

Steve Huff
03-19-2011, 09:39 PM
I agree with the Rip Control. However, I don't like the feel of it. I prefered the FXP. But, it is low powered, and it isn't harsh.

kiteboard
03-19-2011, 10:56 PM
sppp.......

Djokolate
03-20-2011, 01:25 AM
sppp.......

No
10char

borgpro
03-20-2011, 01:45 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions!

Maxim Touch is low-powered multi and has excellent pocketing, feel and touch. I would highly recommend it to flatter hitters.

which brand is this? I do not see it at TW at least..?

borgpro
03-20-2011, 01:47 AM
And what about the new Wilson NXT control I just saw on the TW webstite, what do you think? Will it be lower powered than the wilson sensation I have now in my frame?

ATP100
03-20-2011, 02:07 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions!

which brand is this? I do not see it at TW at least..?

Pro Supex.......google it

(Also, just use a 16 gauge nylon...good enough for most purposes)

lefty10spro
03-20-2011, 04:39 AM
Prince Recoil is a sweet playing low-powered multi that stays in place!

mikeler
03-20-2011, 04:42 AM

This is one of the highest powered multis I've tried.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=352048

And what about the new Wilson NXT control I just saw on the TW webstite, what do you think? Will it be lower powered than the wilson sensation I have now in my frame?

Wilson NXT Control is an excellent control string and very soft.

SteveI
03-20-2011, 06:09 AM
Pro Supex.......google it

(Also, just use a 16 gauge nylon...good enough for most purposes)

I picked up a reel of Gosen ProForm Tuff 16 in nat. That stuff is low powered.. crisp and not harsh. Also a reel can be had for $25.00. Forten Nylon in 16 or 15G is also an nice option. Great for flat hitters. If you are trying to create a ton of spin.. not the best option.

Keifers
03-20-2011, 04:10 PM

No disrespect to mikeler and his excellent work in the linked thread... That's not been my experience of MT at all. And I haven't read that from anyone else here.

Just for reference, I'm comparing with multis such as NXT, NXT Tour, NRG2, SuperNatural Pro Stock, Gamma Professional, Gamma TNT2 Pro Plus, TF Multi-Feel, Yonex 850 and 850 Pro...

MT is also very reasonably priced. Highly recommend the op give it a try.

tlm
03-20-2011, 06:44 PM
No disrespect to mikeler and his excellent work in the linked thread... That's not been my experience of MT at all. And I haven't read that from anyone else here.

Just for reference, I'm comparing with multis such as NXT, NXT Tour, NRG2, SuperNatural Pro Stock, Gamma Professional, Gamma TNT2 Pro Plus, TF Multi-Feel, Yonex 850 and 850 Pro...

I agree mt is a low powered string, i dont care what
what anyone else says. I would have to say that anyone
whos says it is one of the most powerful multis, has no
idea of what they are talking about.

I have been staying away from polys for a few years now
for health reasons. So i have checked out a lot of multi
strings, one of my main concerns is control. Believe me there
are not that many out there that have enough control for me.

But mt does have very good control, it has a built in limited
flight. My complaint is that i dont get the bite+spin out of it.
But it has very good control+comfort, makes a great x's in
a hybrid.

When people say that rip control, isospeed are control strings
i agree 100%. I am not saying they are great strings, but
definitely have good control. Other multi's that have good
control are nxt tour, nxt control, k-gut, laserfibre pro stock.

mikeler
03-21-2011, 04:53 AM

No offense taken. What gauge are we talking about? I've only tried 17g but want to try out 16g soon.

a hybrid.

Some offense taken.

tlm
03-21-2011, 05:59 AM
No offense taken. What gauge are we talking about? I've only tried 17g but want to try out 16g soon.

Some offense taken.

Sorry but if you are saying that mt is a powerful
multi i just cant imagine what you would classify
as low powered.

mikeler
03-21-2011, 06:08 AM
Sorry but if you are saying that mt is a powerful
multi i just cant imagine what you would classify
as low powered.

The ones you mentioned like RIP Control and Isospeed Control are low powered. Mantis Comfort is the lowest powered multi for me. What gauge MT were you using? Why does your formatting look so weird, are you posting this from a phone?

JT_2eighty
03-21-2011, 06:46 AM
HEAD RIP or HEAD Intellitour. Soft and high control, muted feel, not lively or powerful at all; great for flat strokes and touch shots; as close to gut for comfort that I have used, and quite durable for multi as well. Very unique multi, using ribbon construction instead of typical multifilament fibers... the ribbon tech seems to aid durability and also "mutes" the feel so that it plays soft yet low powered, with no harshness. Pain to string though (for a multi). For pure arm heaven, gut mains, Head Intellitour crosses.

mikeler
03-21-2011, 07:18 AM
HEAD RIP or HEAD Intellitour. Soft and high control, muted feel, not lively or powerful at all; great for flat strokes and touch shots; as close to gut for comfort that I have used, and quite durable for multi as well. Very unique multi, using ribbon construction instead of typical multifilament fibers... the ribbon tech seems to aid durability and also "mutes" the feel so that it plays soft yet low powered, with no harshness. Pain to string though (for a multi). For pure arm heaven, gut mains, Head Intellitour crosses.

I forgot about Intellitour. Quasi Gut also seemed fairly low powered to me too.

tlm
03-21-2011, 10:39 AM
The ones you mentioned like RIP Control and Isospeed Control are low powered. Mantis Comfort is the lowest powered multi for me. What gauge MT were you using? Why does your formatting look so weird, are you posting this from a phone?

I tried mt in both gauges, also strung it fairly tight. But it played with very good
control, not saying it did not have any power. But it had that built in restricted
flight which i look for in a string. I liked that part of it, but it lacked good bite +
spin.

I have never tried mantis comfort, i will give it a go. I am now trying out
wilson nxt control which seems like it might be the string i am looking for.

hoodjem
03-21-2011, 10:42 AM
IMO Isospeed Professional 17 (Classic) is soft and low-powered.

Keifers
03-21-2011, 10:44 AM

I've only used 17ga (1.25mm).

Keifers
03-21-2011, 10:48 AM
JT,

How would you compare gut mains/Intellitour crosses with all gut. Or gut mains and other crosses?

Is it the softest combo, for instance? And what do you give up?

mikeler
03-21-2011, 11:09 AM
I tried mt in both gauges, also strung it fairly tight. But it played with very good
control, not saying it did not have any power. But it had that built in restricted
flight which i look for in a string. I liked that part of it, but it lacked good bite +
spin.

I have never tried mantis comfort, i will give it a go. I am now trying out
wilson nxt control which seems like it might be the string i am looking for.

Wilson NXT Control is a very good string. Almost as soft as Mantis Comfort and Babolat Xcel Premium. You may find that the Mantis is almost as good and much cheaper so I think it may be worth your time to buy a pack and try it.

Boricua
03-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Mantis Comfort is softer than RIP but both are low powered and are very unique compared to all the other multifilaments out there.

Is RIP much more durable than Mantis Comfort?

Boricua
03-21-2011, 11:32 AM

Wilson NXT Control is an excellent control string and very soft.

Does it work for top spinners?:)

Boricua
03-21-2011, 11:35 AM

a hybrid.

So, what would be your two best multis that are low power and good for big topspin hitters?:) Or would it be better to hybrid poly with gut to get a similar soft feel?:)

mikeler
03-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Is RIP much more durable than Mantis Comfort?

Yes.

Does it work for top spinners?:)

NXTC gets pretty good spin for a multi.

Boricua
03-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Yes.

NXTC gets pretty good spin for a multi.

So, what would be your two best multis that are low power and good for big topspin hitters? Is NXTC one of them? What about Biphase?:)

Would it be better to hybrid poly with gut to get a similar soft feel?:)

JT_2eighty
03-21-2011, 12:29 PM
JT,

How would you compare gut mains/Intellitour crosses with all gut. Or gut mains and other crosses?

Is it the softest combo, for instance? And what do you give up?

I haven't tried as many multis as Mikeler, but comparing full toughgut to toughgut/intellitour cross, the comfort is equal. Now, the comfort of Toughgut is not as plush as VS, but I've even done VS/Intellitour crosses and that was BUTTER. Thing is, I like a good control setup, and VS is more powerful than Tough. VS/Intellitour was good power & spin, Toughgut/Intellitour was good control & spin (other benefit to Intellitour's cross is that it has low friction qualities that allow for efficient snap-back). Compared to gut/poly, it is the closest you can get in similar feel with much more comfort. VS too much power for me, and pricey, so Pacific guts are my go-to gut.

So, anyway, Intellitour crosses help tame the power of gut without sacrificing ANY comfort. But, keep in mind this is using the "RIP Feel" crosses, found in Intellitour hybrid pack (means you will waste the RIP Tour mains, which are a slightly stiffer version of RIP Control... I used to string RIP Tour full bed for a friend but he switched to NXT, anyways...).

Ok, if this isn't confusing enough, I'll go on...

Gut/poly is better spin than any of the above, but also is the *least* comfortable of the 3--full gut, gut/rip, gut/poly (of course... this should be obvious as there is no hiding the fact that poly is stiff, even as a cross for gut). Other multis I have not hybrided with gut... so, take my words for what they are... BUT, having used full VS, full Toughgut, full PClassic, full BDE Rallye, and gut/syn gut... I found that crossing gut with Intellitour crosses is just as comfy as full gut, with lower power (better control).

Hope that helped. As far as multis, I've tried Alpha 2k, Gamma Revelation, Intellitour, RIP Control, NXT tour and NXT, X-1 17 (in a demo, so rough comparison), and a few others I can't remember.

Oh, and if it helps, many say that RIP Feel (Intellitour cross) is the same or as close as the same thing to Isospeed Professional Classic 17. Both are Ribbon coreless polyolefin string. If you look them up on RSI, they have similar results, yet Intellitour Cross 17 remains the softest of the list. But, so you aren't wasting RIP T mains, try ISO... to which you may then notice that all I've described is a modified Mojo Rig (gut/iso pro classic).

Oh well. It is quite good.

JT_2eighty
03-21-2011, 12:32 PM
So, what would be your two best multis that are low power and good for big topspin hitters? Is NXTC one of them? What about Biphase?:)

Would it be better to hybrid poly with gut to get a similar soft feel?:)

I'd try Head Intellitour. No discomfort of poly with 90% of the benefits. Low power and comfy... quite muted/dead in feel, but the playability and comfort is great.

To be clear, no multi I've tried comes close to the potential of poly, but if comfort and control are you concerns, it is a good string.

For pure spin, Mikeler will be better source it sounds like he uses more spin than this indoor hard courter :)

Boricua
03-21-2011, 12:33 PM
I haven't tried as many multis as Mikeler, but comparing full toughgut to toughgut/intellitour cross, the comfort is equal. Now, the comfort of Toughgut is not as plush as VS, but I've even done VS/Intellitour crosses and it was BUTTER. Thing is, I like a good control setup, and VS is more powerful than Tough. VS/Intellitour was good power & spin, Toughgut/Intellitour was good control & spin (other benefit to Intellitour's cross is that it has low friction qualities that allow for efficient snap-back). Compared to gut/poly, it is the closest you can get in similar feel with much more comfort.

So, anyway, Intellitour crosses help tame the power of gut without sacrificing ANY comfort. But, keep in mind this is using the "RIP Feel" crosses, found in Intellitour hybrid pack (means you will waste the RIP Tour mains, which are a slightly stiffer version of RIP Control... I used to string RIP Tour full bed for a friend but he switched to NXT, anyways...).

Ok, if this isn't confusing enough, I'll go on...

Gut/poly is better spin than any of the above, but also is the *least* comfortable of the 3--full gut, gut/rip, gut/poly (of course... this should be obvious as there is no hiding the fact that poly is stiff, even as a cross for gut). Other multis I have not hybrided with gut... so, take my words for what they are... BUT, having used full VS, full Toughgut, full PClassic, full BDE Rallye, and gut/syn gut... I found that crossing gut with Intellitour crosses is just as comfy as full gut, with lower power (better control).

Hope that helped. As far as multis, I've tried Alpha 2k, Gamma Revelation, Intellitour, RIP Control, NXT tour and NXT, X-1 17 (in a demo, so rough comparison), and a few others I can't remember.

Oh, and if it helps, many say that RIP Feel (Intellitour cross) is the same or as close as the same thing to Isospeed Professional Classic 17. Both are Ribbon coreless polyolefin string. If you look them up on RSI, they have similar results, yet Intellitour Cross 17 remains the softest of the list. But, so you aren't wasting RIP T mains, try ISO... to which you may then notice that all I've described is the Mojo Rig (gut/iso classic).

Oh well. It is quite good.

Would Intellitour mains and gut crosses make sense?:)

JT_2eighty
03-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Would Intellitour mains and gut crosses make sense?:)

Not really, the gut is great in the mains, better to modify it through changing your cross. Otherwise multi main with gut cross is going to be small change from full multi. Something about gut mains just imparts better feel, touch, spin, etc.

Boricua
03-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Not really, the gut is great in the mains, better to modify it through changing your cross. Otherwise multi main with gut cross is going to be small change from full multi. Something about gut mains just imparts better feel, touch, spin, etc.

How many more or less hours of playing time do you get from gut mains if compared to

1)all multi

2)poly/gut

Sorry all, this is not part of the thread.:)

tlm
03-21-2011, 01:36 PM
So, what would be your two best multis that are low power and good for big topspin hitters?:) Or would it be better to hybrid poly with gut to get a similar soft feel?:)

Whenever you add poly you are going to lose the soft feel of
a full multi. I would say the best multi's for topspin hitters
would be wilson nxt tour, prince premier lt is pretty good
also wilson nxt control which i have only used once, still
checking it out. I was using kgut which is now discontinued+
was hard on the arm for a multi. Laserfibre pro stock was the
best, but it is unavailable also. It is not easy finding a good
multi that has the control+spin.