PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Stringing Question

billygib
03-19-2011, 12:30 PM
I use a Prince O3 Tour Mid Plus (100 sq. in.) normally srung with Babolat Natural Gut 16 gauge at 58 lbs. I am considering trying a hybrid of Luxilon Alu Power Fluoro 17 gauge with Natural Gut. Does anyone have opinions on this combination vs all gut? Any recommendations for string tension for the Luxilon and whether to use it on mains or crosses? Thanks.

jim e
03-19-2011, 12:36 PM
I use a Prince O3 Tour Mid Plus (100 sq. in.) normally srung with Babolat Natural Gut 16 gauge at 58 lbs. I am considering trying a hybrid of Luxilon Alu Power Fluoro 17 gauge with Natural Gut. Does anyone have opinions on this combination vs all gut? Any recommendations for string tension for the Luxilon and whether to use it on mains or crosses? Thanks.

Since you are now hitting all nat. gut, I would put the nat. gut in the main strings if you were to go to a hybrid, as the main strings will give you the predominate feel overall, (this way it is not a drastic change at once for you) , and the poly in the cross strings and I would lower the poly 5-10%,depending on preference (mine was 10% ) . Keep in mind that this set up should feel nice to you, but the poly will die out before you will break the gut strings for a % of players like myself that hits a relatively flat ball, as I am not a string breaker, so all gut is very economical for me. That is why I hit all gut, as the gut lux was great playing as well, but I had to choose one way and stick with it for consistancy, so since I was not a string breaker it made more sense to use all gut.