PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Photo of Fed. Contact Point/Grip

Achillesg
06-20-2005, 11:27 AM
If you go to www.nytimes.com right now, 3:28 pm est. you'll see a perfect shot of Federer's forehand grip and contact point.

Do you think this is typical?

JoeDan
06-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Amazing picture. You rarely see a player's eyes focused that deep into the swing. Usually they seem to be looking a foot or two ahead of the ball. I'm guessing Roger's replying to medium pace at most. Also--look at how narrow his racquet handle is.

alan-n
06-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Also--look at how narrow his racquet handle is.

Grip size 4 3/8, butt cap is L3.

TheGreatBernie
06-20-2005, 11:59 AM
Grip size 4 3/8, butt cap is L3.

4 3/8 is so small. How could Fed use that grip size without the racket spinning in his hand? I've recently had to bump up a size to 4 1/2 because of that problem. My hand was also hurting from gripping the 4 3/8 so hard to keep it steady.

Achillesg
06-20-2005, 12:11 PM
That's a solid Eastern forehand grip the way I see it. Doesn't seem to have any cheat towards a hybrid semi-western.

It looks like he's hitting a flat, inside-out forehand drive without a lot of velocity. I'm guessing his laid back wrist is not typical and that it's part of the disguise of this shot -let opponent think x-court while Fed. hits it inside-out.

JohnYandell
06-20-2005, 03:54 PM
I couldn't find the picture, not on the front page--anyone have a more specific URL???

joe sch
06-20-2005, 07:38 PM
That's a solid Eastern forehand grip the way I see it. Doesn't seem to have any cheat towards a hybrid semi-western.

It looks like he's hitting a flat, inside-out forehand drive without a lot of velocity. I'm guessing his laid back wrist is not typical and that it's part of the disguise of this shot -let opponent think x-court while Fed. hits it inside-out.
Very good analysis. Fed is one of the few players capable of playing all court tennis, using the right stroke & grip for the occasion. The eastern grip, with a closed stance, cocked wrist and classic follow thru will result in a drive producing very little bouce, almost skidding, especially if on grass. This is such a awesome weapon that is a rare treat to see in todays game. Great post !

Tennis Ball Hitter
06-20-2005, 09:50 PM
I couldn't find the picture, not on the front page--anyone have a more specific URL???

I missed it too.

I think the URL is correct, but the URL gets updated/overwritten with new news.

Did anyone save the pic?

Potito
06-21-2005, 12:45 AM
Could you insert this photo here?

Achillesg
06-21-2005, 05:04 AM
Apparently I do not have authority to post attachments to my post so I can't figure out a way to post the actual image.

Here's even better: You can see high quality images of this photo at Getty Images.com The image I first posted about yesterday is no. 53105956

Want to see Fed in the same match using what appears to be a full SW grip? See image no. 53105937

Basically, you can go out and use any grip you want from Continental to SW (and maybe beyond) and you'll be "copying Federer". The only problem is that Federer has the circus-like ability to use each with surgical precision during Grand Slam level competition and at the proper time and place.

Edit: My conclusions in the above paragraph appear to have been a bit hastily-formed. See John Yandell's post below for an explanation.

JohnYandell
06-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the ID numbers at Getty, that's great.

I think I can shed some light on both photos of Roger's grips. The first one is a forehand return. One of the interesting things about Roger is that, like Pete, he uses a more conservative grip on his return. Whereas on his basic forehand, Roger is between Pete and Agassi, on his return he pretty much holds Pete's groundstroke grip. Pete went from his eastern groundstroke grip to a mild continental on his forehand return.

The second one is a forehand groundstroke but is a mishit. You can't interpret the grip from the racket angle in a still photo. You can't see the details of the hand really clearly from the angle here, but from looking at a few dozen Federer forehands in high speed video I can assure you it's his normal forehand grip. If there is any sliding around from ball to ball it's very minor and not enough to qualify for recategorizing.

Indiantwist
06-22-2005, 10:12 AM
JohnYandell the same as Tennisplayer.net?. If so i just want to thank you for a great site. Your articles always made me grasp concepts that are otherwise difficult to comprehend. Especially the articles on Arm-Shoulder rotation, Windshield Wiper motion and etc.

Once again Thanks a lot.

Achillesg
06-22-2005, 11:34 AM
John Yandell,

Thanks for that interpretive info. I'll edit my last post to make sure that folks aren't led astray.

JohnYandell
06-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Yep it's me. Thanks for the great feedback! Made my (late) evening in SF.

panatta
06-23-2005, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=Achillesg] "Apparently I do not have authority to post attachments to my post so I can't figure out a way to post the actual image.

Here's even better: You can see high quality images of this photo at Getty Images.com The image I first posted about yesterday is no. 53105956

Want to see Fed in the same match using what appears to be a full SW grip? See image no. 53105937"

It seems as if the first photo is a forehand volley, while only the second is a baseline forehand... All players who use a SW or W forehand play the volleys with an eastern grip.

akj27
06-23-2005, 03:56 PM
can someone just post a link to the pic?

Marius_Hancu
06-23-2005, 04:17 PM
would've preferred you guys mentioned it's in the "editorial" section, so others wouldn't lose their time.

if you do a job, do it completely.

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/FrameSet.aspx?s=ImagesSearchState%7c0%7c0%7c28%7c0 %7c0%7c0%7c1%7c%7c%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0 %7c7%7c53105956%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0&p=7&tag=1

ShooterMcMarco
06-23-2005, 09:34 PM
different grips for different rips. it would make sense though for him to return serve with an eastern - continental grip so he can make the quick switch to his onehander.

winks
06-24-2005, 04:23 AM

Are you talking about this picture? Looks to me like he is hitting a volley and the grip is leaning towards continental.....

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/53105956.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=4FBDFB5BC89FFDBFA7778F6AC6A1AF0BA9C30E9B9B11 4CE8