PDA

View Full Version : Tourna Big Hitter Strings

GoodSamaritan
03-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Thought I'd make a thread for all the Tourna Big Hitter strings because there's not a single one for all of them. I just strung up BHBR and BHSR on my PT280 and PC600 respectively. It's gonna be raining here for the next couple days but bouncing balls around both feels suprisingly comfortable. The BHSR is little bit more crisp and the BHBR is a bit more soft but both feel similar besides that.The comfort from these strings are on par with WeissCannon strings which I am accustomed to. I might give the regular Big Hitter Blue and Big Hitter Silver a try later. I'll update you guys when I have hitting experience with them but it will probably take a while. Post your thoughts on Big Hitter strings here!

Carolina Racquet
03-20-2011, 02:52 PM
I've tried the full lineup and here's my opinion...

1. Best string is BHSR. Crisp but comfortable. Slightly more pocketing than original Silver. Spin is very nice.

2. BHBR is #2... Comfortable, but not as crisp. Very solid string. You can say it's a little muted, which is a feel characteristic some would say adds comfort and perhaps makes your shots feel solid. Spin is also good.

3. BHB is next. Used to be my favorite poly when I first tried it because of the comfort, but I find it's not as comfortable as either BHBR or BHSR.

4. BHS is last, but it's not a bad string, just not as good as the aforementioned. It is very crisp, not that stiff, but I find it's a little too powerful. My try it again and sting it up a few more pounds.

The Tourna Big Hitter Strings are great, but I'm hooked right now on Volkl Cyclone because I'm looking for a little less power and we've been working well together lately. :)

GoodSamaritan
03-20-2011, 03:25 PM
^^ That seems very accurate. I hit with my PT280 today and you pretty much described BHBR perfectly. I really enjoyed the soft and solid feel as well as the touch and comfort. One thing that threw me off though was the power. Lots of pop on BHBR, should've strung just a bit higher. I also got 5 minutes out of my PC600 with BHSR and it feels like I'll like that one more. Nice crisp feel and controllable power on that one. Forgot to note I strung the PT280 at 54 M / 52 C and the PC600 at 52 M / 50 C. Gotta see how the longevity is on these strings as far as texture, tension stability, and playability. Can you chime in on how the longevity of those three categories are Carolina?

Carolina Racquet
03-20-2011, 05:14 PM
^^ For both BHBR and BHSR, tension maintenance is very good as is playability. I noticed the texture was prominent more with BHBR than BHSR, but both played very well long after 20-30 hours use.

A side note... in comparing 16 and 17g, I actually preferred BHSR at 16g than 17g, but I use a bigger frame than you.

Seems like from what I read in previous posts, all BHB strings have good track record for tension maintenance and playability until breakage. Seems if you like it when its strung, you'll like it till it breaks. If you don't like it... it won't 'break in' and feel better.

Torres
03-20-2011, 05:37 PM
BHBR 17 is just such a great poly in my view. It just plays so well in terms of all round performance and the performance drop off is gentle and perfectly suited to those of us who don't send our racquets off to the stringing room after every ball change....

Roughly 0-2 hours: unbelievable spin, crazy movement on the ball and impossible shot making.
2-4 hours: still great shot making but slightly less crazy spin.
4-6 hours: still feels good but spin and movement on the ball has started to drop off.
6-8 hours: still plays play reasonably well but alot of the spin has gone and is starting to feel like a 'normal' poly. No impossible shot making.
8-10 hours: as above some shots are starting to get a bit loose. It still doesn't feel 'dead' though.
10-12 hours: it feels as if its starting to go dead. Hitting through the ball you feel as if you're squeezing the last remnants of crispness from it. Shots are bit loose and balls are going a little bit long. Still playable, just not high performance anymore.
12+ hours: the string has gone dead for me. Feels tinny. You can play with it but it does not feel that nice - seems to have lost its elasticity and crispness. All the crazy spin and movement on the ball has gone.

One thing I have noticed as it nears the end of its playing life is a slight loss of side to side directional accuracy but you can play around that. I think its a really great string with a good performance window for us 'real world' players and at an unbeatable price. Lightyears better all round, 'real world' string than Alu Rough or RPM Blast.

Haven't tried Silver Rough but will try and get my hands on reel. Have a few sets of Silver lying around which I haven't strung but will try at some point.

GoodSamaritan
03-21-2011, 06:23 PM
After a second session with BHBR the pop is just uncontrollable.. It's a great string but it's hard to judge everything when all my balls are flying. I would've strung 3 pounds higher at least if I had a second set. I think I'll like BHSR more though just due to it's controlled nature

Wilson95
03-22-2011, 06:56 AM
Is BHBR more powerful than Tornado?

JT_2eighty
03-22-2011, 07:50 AM
I used BHB as a cross for Pacific gut in my PT280... one of my favorite setups: amazing control and spin, with ample power and comfort. Even touch/feel was great, I'll never forget the match I won in a tiebreak and hit a sick drop volley on matchpoint to win: used gut/BHB at 52/48lb; was someone I've played a few times and he remarked on the increased spin I had that match as opposed to prior times.

Torres
03-22-2011, 08:59 AM
^ It's interesting when you run gut mains with poly cross - the sweetspot *feels* noticeably bigger and more forgiving. Obviously not as much spin as the other way round, but its a matter of personal preference.

GoodSamaritan
03-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Played with BHSR in a match today and I underestimated how powerful it was as well. They're both a bit more powerful to what I'm used to and should've strung 3 pounds tighter on both but great string nonetheless. I agree that spin is pretty similar on both though. Biggest difference to me is feel which isn't too different at all. If these strings last long enough I think BHSR will be my new string. If not, then I'm back to WeissCannon

clover
03-22-2011, 09:29 PM
I started to play with BHB 17 strung @ 52 lbs and it is incredibly powerful. I swear it feels as if my sweet spot has increased...

Great string. Just have to get used to the added power.

DrpShot!
03-23-2011, 12:37 PM
I don't know why but BHS, to me, still feels the best, at least in my open pattern Head Tour Flexpoints. Those things are heavy and BHS tames the power just right, I can swing for the fences on my serves and still catch the lines. My arm just started to suffer after awhile so I'm planning to mix BHSR and Gut. Anyone else mixing rough in the crosses with gut in the mains?

Torres
03-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Anyone else mixing rough in the crosses with gut in the mains?

I haven't used gut but I have tried multis and synths with BHBR as a hybrid in a BLX 6.1 95 (18x20).

BHBR 17 mains / Gosen Natural 17 cross (53/55): you still get all the characteristics of the BHBR even when using it only as the mains. Huge amounts of spin and crazy movement on the ball and impossible shot making during the first 0-3 hours and you can also hit much sharper angles, all much more than the combination below. Obviously, lower powered and you don't get as much of a 'cushioney' feel as you would with Gosen in the mains.

BHBR 17 mains / Gosen White 17 cross (53/55): this doesn't work as well. Gosen White is slightly harder and crisper than Gosen Natural and doesn't seem to quite allow the BHBR 17 perform as its best, probably because it stiffens the stringbed more than Gosen Natural. More powerful stringbed somewhat oddly and the stringbed characteristics feel more even.

Multifeel 17 mains / BHBR cross (56/53): all the comfort, power and forgiveness that you would expect but an absence of any trampolining that you would ordinarily get with a multi (or even gut for that matter) - the BHBR crosses stiffen the stringbed and stops the multi from trampolining. Spin is good and the sweet spot feels bigger than the combination above. I experimented with pre-streching the multi at 15% and 20%. 20% feels better as it takes some of the power out of the multi and it stretches less over time. I would also up the tension by a lb or two if I was doing this again. The Multifeel gets too springy and powerful for my liking though after 3 hours though.

BHBR 17 mains / Multifeel 17 cross (54/56): the Multifeel was pre-stretched by 20%. Plays quite well but the MultiFeel seems to make the stringbed a little bit too springy at times. The strings don't quite feel as if they're working that well with each other. I don't think a multifilament is necessary. Gosen natural seems to work just as well as a cross.

Overall: At these tensions the best hybrid combination for me was BHBR 17 mains and Gosen Natural 17 cross. But unless you need the extra power of non-poly cross in the stringbed, BHBR is better as full bed.

YoutekPro
03-23-2011, 09:05 PM
Between BHBR and BHSR, which string felt more similar to big banger alu power? I was honestly thinking of getting my self a set or even a reel! :\

Carolina Racquet
03-24-2011, 04:17 AM
Between BHBR and BHSR, which string felt more similar to big banger alu power? I was honestly thinking of getting my self a set or even a reel! :\

Absolutely BHSR or even BHS. Compared to alu power, the original silver is probably more comparable because they are both a smooth poly.

BHSR is more similar to alu rough.

Between BHS and BHSR, I favor BHSR hands down.

JT_2eighty
03-24-2011, 08:00 AM

Anyone know this as well? What about comfort compared?

YoutekPro
03-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Ohh very intresting, i was really considering buying the BHBR due to it placing #2 in the RSI string rating :P i think i will continue with my choice!

GoodSamaritan
03-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Give them both a shot YoutekPro. JT, BHBR is more powerful and comfortable than Tornado noticeably for both.

rodrigoamaral
03-27-2011, 02:39 PM

BHSR for sure...

GoodSamaritan
04-02-2011, 09:02 PM
After playing for BHSR for about a week and a half the performance has dropped noticeably. The control has dropped a bit and the spin by more. Tension stability is nice and still playable, but the texture is gone. I don't break strings often so I like strings that keep very steady playability. This is a top string but after a bit of time it's only a great string. I'll see how a retest of the WC compares when this breaks.

Carolina Racquet
04-03-2011, 03:08 AM
That's a fair assessment... whereas I noticed the texture fades away with BHSR. I still liked the feel of the string after 15+ hours of play.

As a side note.. just switched frames to the EXO3 Tour 16x18 and for some reason, prefer BHB or BHBR over BHSR.

Only explanation I can think of is the flexibility of the frame matches up better with the 'Blues' and the excessive muted feeling I had with my stiffer frame is lessened with the EXO3 Tour.

Lambsscroll
04-03-2011, 04:10 AM
^^ For both BHBR and BHSR, tension maintenance is very good as is playability. I noticed the texture was prominent more with BHBR than BHSR, but both played very well long after 20-30 hours use.

Thats awesome! If I can get great playability out of a string for an entire month ( 16 hours of actual hitting ) thats perfect. Lol, I view restringing like its another monthly bill I have to pay.

geese_com
04-03-2011, 06:08 AM
I've played about 10 hours with BHSR17 in my PT280 and I have to say that this is going to be my string of choice. The feel and the spin are just amazing.

I have also tried BHBR17 in the same racquet and I just can't seem to like it.

Carolina Racquet
04-03-2011, 06:49 AM
I've played about 10 hours with BHSR17 in my PT280 and I have to say that this is going to be my string of choice. The feel and the spin are just amazing.

I have also tried BHBR17 in the same racquet and I just can't seem to like it.

Did you experience that same response... more of a crisp feel than BHBR and maybe a touch less power?

GoodSamaritan
04-03-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm really tempted to try the normal BHS and BHB but I think I'm done testing after a few more strings, it's just too much money

geese_com
04-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Did you experience that same response... more of a crisp feel than BHBR and maybe a touch less power?

I'm sorry, but I do not really know what "crisp" is supposed to feel like. It just felt like when I hit the ball I knew exactly what it was going to do with BHSR compared to BHBR. If anything, the sound coming from BHSR is more "full" than BHBR. Sorry for the vague response, but I hard a hard time describing how it feels, I just know what I want strings to feel like when I hit the ball.

Torres
04-04-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm onto my 4th full bed of BHBR now and my 3rd or 4th set as a hybrid.

I still think its a great string - easily my poly of choice at the moment (its going to have to be since I've got two reels of the stuff....) However, if I had to make a criticism, its that there is a gradual loss of side to side directional accuracy over the lifetime of the string as it breaks down and loses the properties that make it special. Hit a forehand or backhand down the line and you can absolutely nail the shot when using a fresh set of this string. 6, 7, 8 hours in, hit the same shot, and the ball and can wander a bit. I suspect that that's due to the string being softer than other polys and the string 'deforming' more as it breaks down.

I'm going to test it against WC Mosquito Bite and some of the Polyfibre strings over the next few weeks.

Walenty
04-06-2011, 04:43 PM
However, if I had to make a criticism, its that there is a gradual loss of side to side directional accuracy over the lifetime of the string as it breaks down and loses the properties that make it special. Hit a forehand or backhand down the line and you can absolutely nail the shot when using a fresh set of this string. 6, 7, 8 hours in, hit the same shot, and the ball and can wander a bit. I suspect that that's due to the string being softer than other polys and the string 'deforming' more as it breaks down.

I don't know if you have already tried it, but some posters have mentioned putting BHBR in the mains and crossing it with BHB to get better directional control, at the cost of losing a little spin that would come from a full bed of BHBR.

Torres
04-06-2011, 05:06 PM
I don't know if you have already tried it, but some posters have mentioned putting BHBR in the mains and crossing it with BHB to get better directional control, at the cost of losing a little spin that would come from a full bed of BHBR.

Thanks for the tip. It's only a small criticism and even then one that only really applies as the poly reaches the end of its life. I can play through it - it just means I have to be more precise and make sure my racquet path follows the direction of the ball a fraction longer, rather than being able to hit with abandon, which I can do when the poly is fresh. I don't have any BHB but I do have some BHS, so I'll try that as a cross. Blue and Silver strings in a black and red BLX 6.1 will look great as it will avoid me looking like a *******!

My reels of BHSR should arrive in the few weeks so will give that a go as well.

kcmiser
04-06-2011, 07:03 PM
I've been meaning to post a detailed review of all these strings, but haven't been motivated to actually get around to doing it. So, I reserve the right to post a long(er) winded version of all these strings, but for the moment here are my thoughts. All reviews are based on the 17g as mains in hybrids with various synthetic guts as crosses in mostly 100" frames. I play at a 4.0 level as a big spinning, baseline junkballer.

BHB: No control. Couldn't trust it. Too much trampolining for a poly. Played it in a super open pattern, though, which probably didn't flatter this string. Maybe not a fair review.

BHBR: Surprised how much I liked it given that I didn't like the non-rough. A little more spring than I liked, but that's my preference, not the string's fault. Biggest complaint was that it moved around from the very first hit. Annoying. I did not find the great spin others did. Just a nice medium stiff string.

BH Silver: My string of choice for the last year or so. Firm without being harsh. Not overwhelming in terms of spin, but creates a very predictable stringbed. No flyers. Love it.

BHSR: A bit harsher than the non-rough. I like the feel (feels slightly thinner). I have no idea if I get extra spin, but I'm not looking for that anyway. Significantly worse durability than the non-Rough. Only once in a year did I break the mains before crosses with the non-Rough, and I'm two for two doing so with the rough. Wow. Not the end of the world, though. I get four or five hits before it breaks. I get an extra hit or two in with the non-Rough, but the strings aren't performing as well by that time anyway. I'm personally okay with it breaking, since it's just going to die anyway, but if durability is big for you, go with the smooth, not the rough.

I should also mention that while I like the feel of the rough, it is more expensive than the smooth, and the coil memory is much, much worse (major pain). So overall, silver smooth remains my favorite of all the Tourna strings.

Carolina Racquet
04-07-2011, 03:14 AM
Thanks Kcmiser... Interesting review. Did you string all these strings at the same tension? I found I had to up the tension on BHB and BHBR to harness the power.

Also... you're right about the coil memory on the roughs. Tougher to install, but I imagine a twisted string would have a lot more coil memory than a smooth one.

Torres
04-07-2011, 03:27 AM
@ Kcmiser - just goes to show that strings perform differently in different racquet/string setups. You might want to test the strings as a full bed because then at least you take the characteristics of the synthetic gut out of the equation.

100sq" + open pattern = racquet with more emphasis on spin and power rather than control. I have a racquet at the opposite end of the spectrum (95/18x20) so having a softer, spinnier string like BHBR is useful.

parasailing
04-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Finally had a chance to string up and play with Tourna Big Hitter Blue Rough. So far after 3 hours of play, I love it. It is soft on the arm and provides good spin, control, and power. It's strange how the Rough plays better than the regular Blue. I didn't like Tourna Big Hitter Blue mainly because it didn't have a solid feel to it and didn't provide much spin for me.

The rough version improve on the weakness of the regular version and only thing left is whether this string has good tension maintenance. If this string can last about 8 to 10 hours, then I plan on getting a reel of this stuff. It's quite cheap in a reel and would provide great bang for the buck.

GoodSamaritan
05-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Torres, have you gotten a chance to hit with BHSR yet? Anyone know if BHS and BHSR are the same string, just different texture?

Lefty5
05-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Torres, have you gotten a chance to hit with BHSR yet? Anyone know if BHS and BHSR are the same string, just different texture?

You'll defintely get more spin with the silver rough version. Pretty comparable otherwise. The Blue Rough is ridiculous spin also a little more powerful.

Torres
05-09-2011, 01:53 PM

TBH, I haven't had a chance. I've been spending most of my time hitting with BHBR and also trying to match/balance my racquets which takes a mind numbing amount of playing/playtesting time.

That said, I will be stringing up my main #1 stick with BHSR tomorrow so should be able to start hitting after that. I have some packets of BHS hanging around but I doubt that I'll be stringing that up for another few weeks or so. I'm in the middle of the league season so I don't want to mess around with strings too much.

Brief comments about BHBR:

- it generates a huge amount of movement on the ball particularly when fresh and when using alot of racquet head speed. The movement isn't so obvious to the person who is hitting the ball but its very obvious to the person receiving it.

- I watch my opponents and they spend that extra split second trying to track the ball. They don't quite seem to have the same confidence to crush the ball and hit out completely. They make more unforced errors. They just seem to be more careful with their strokes and timing which is obviously advantageous to me.

- I don't like BHBR when its dead. You can't feel the ball on the strings in the same way, you don't feel that initial crisp 'give' in the stringbed and it doesn't give me the same confidence as when the string has <8 hours of usage. After 10-12 hours, I cut it out.

- its a powerful for a poly, which you may like or dislike, depending on your preference. Personally, I don't mind it too much...when its fairly fresh. It's not necessarily a string that completely flatters you - it still demands good technique foundations and stroke mechanics. There's a bit of spring in the stringbed at 53lbs CP in a 95/18x20 and it doesn't feel harsh or uncomfortable at all (well, not to me, anyway). It does become more powerful and springy as it loses tension though, so I do wonder whether it would be less suited to more powerful racquets.

- its a minor gripe, but sometimes the directional control could be a little bit better. I don't know whether that's due to the twist of the string, its inherent power / relative softness, but the ball does occasionally come off the stringbed in a way that's not quite as precise as say something Cyclone or Lux Rough particularly when its starting to go dead and losing tension. It's a minor gripe though and its other qualities, in my mind, offer adequate compensation.

- all in all, I think its a great all round poly.

GoodSamaritan
05-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Lefty, some people claim they're different strings. It may be true because the reviews of BHSR are great while the BHS are pretty average so that's why I'm wondering. I've went through a set of BHSR and might switch to it, the only thing stopping me is the longevity of the string

Lefty5
05-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Lefty, some people claim they're different strings. It may be true because the reviews of BHSR are great while the BHS are pretty average so that's why I'm wondering. I've went through a set of BHSR and might switch to it, the only thing stopping me is the longevity of the string

How long did you get out of the silver rough? ...and what tension?

Tension mait on all the big hitter polys seem to be better than average, and when you factor in cost... they are tough to beat. If we're speaking pure TM, i like the non textured Blue, with Silver in a close second.

GoodSamaritan
05-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Silver lasted quit some time for me. I'm not a string breaker but it did happen to break on a mishit after maybe 30 hours and tension probably dropped 5 pounds. I'm not so concerned about the TM rather the playability the string keeps

Carolina Racquet
05-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Anyone know if BHS and BHSR are the same string, just different texture?

I've used both and I believe they are the same basic string material but play very different because of the texture and twisting. To me, the rough version feels a little softer with more ball pocketing when strung at the same tension.

Lefty5
05-11-2011, 06:14 AM
Silver lasted quit some time for me. I'm not a string breaker but it did happen to break on a mishit after maybe 30 hours and tension probably dropped 5 pounds. I'm not so concerned about the TM rather the playability the string keeps

30 hours! Oh my!

GoodSamaritan
05-11-2011, 01:33 PM
^^Ya I usually take over a month to break strings.. Playing with a prestige classic helps string durability as well

dhnels
05-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Has anyone tried Big Hitter Blue 18g.? Really nice specs--I'd like to try it in my 18x20 racquet. But it's kind of hard to find and for some reason Tourna doesn't sell it in reels, only 40' sets.

Carolina Racquet
05-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Has anyone tried Big Hitter Blue 18g.? Really nice specs--I'd like to try it in my 18x20 racquet. But it's kind of hard to find and for some reason Tourna doesn't sell it in reels, only 40' sets.

I checked and saw it's sold on their web site. Do you know the gauge? Probably plays very similar to 1.20 mm Topspin CyberBlue (if not the same exact string).

dhnels
05-13-2011, 01:55 PM
I checked and saw it's sold on their web site. Do you know the gauge? Probably plays very similar to 1.20 mm Topspin CyberBlue (if not the same exact string).
Thanks, the specs do look pretty similar (from RSI 2011 string selector):

String Material Gauge Stiffness Tension
(lb/in.) loss
Unique Tourna Big Hitter Blue 18 Poly 1.21 223 18.32
Topspin Cyber Blue 1.20 Poly 1.22 225 18.17
Unique Tourna Big Hitter Blue 17 Poly 1.26 229 18.21

geese_com
05-14-2011, 04:18 PM
This must be a record for me but I broke a full job of BHSR 17 @ 53lbs in 5 hours!

GoodSamaritan
05-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Have you tried all the Big Hitter strings geese? Care to offer your comparison of them?

TenFanLA
05-14-2011, 10:30 PM
I played tonight with Cyclone 18g on my YT Ext Pro and I was still hitting FH's long. I had the same problem with BHBR and I thought it was the string that was to blame. But without knowing I had changed my grip more toward Eastern instead of my normal SW. That was why I was hitting FH's long. So I made the grip adjustment and I switched back from Cyclone to BHBR and my FH's had sick action. I was hitting angles I never hit before. Also BHBR gave me a few more MPH on my serves and groundstrokes over the Cyclone.

GoodSamaritan
05-15-2011, 07:30 AM
You should give BHSR a try TenFanLA. It was pretty tough keeping the ball in with BHBR because it had so much pop but BHSR is more controllable

Cup8489
05-15-2011, 07:37 AM
You should give BHSR a try TenFanLA. It was pretty tough keeping the ball in with BHBR because it had so much pop but BHSR is more controllable

i suppose the difference is what the strings are for; I've had a half dozen of my regular syn gut clients try out the BHBR for a discount, and have accidentally managed to create alot of interest in it. everyone from that team is requesting it, as the power and softness of it makes it a very appealing string for guys who traditionally use the syn guts.. whereas BHSR is definitely more for guys who want more control and are already used to using polys.

I can't really decide which string i prefer; it's nice being able to maintain a high power level with a poly using the BR, but at the same time i like being able to swing out and still bring the ball back down without issue using the silver.

But, both are excellent strings.

TenFanLA
05-15-2011, 07:52 AM
To increase control I went from BHBR to Cyclone but the Cyclone was hurting my elbow. I've been debating trying out BHSR. I see that people are finding that it's more controllable without sacrificing too much power and spin, but I'm afraid it will be harsh on my arm like Cyclone. BHSR could be the sweetspot between the spin and power of BHBR and the control of Cyclone??? Anyone with BHBR and BHSR experience, please chime in.

Also if I string BHBR at 47, should I string BHSR at 45?

GoodSamaritan
05-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Ya I can see how synthetic gut users can control the power level as they are used to the good pop it gets already. I think BHSR is just a much better string for me however I even like the added stiffness

davedomart
05-15-2011, 10:19 AM
I normally use Topspin Cyber Flash 16, but am considering BHS 16 because of the free stringmeter. Are these strings similar? On the RSI chart the BHS is softer, but loses slightly more tension. Thanks.

GoodSamaritan
05-15-2011, 12:47 PM
TenFanLA I think you really have to try BHSR it could be the string you're looking for. It doesn't feel stiff at all only a bit compared to BHBR which is really soft almost mushy. BHSR has a great crisp feel and controllable power with the same spin potential to me.

Carolina Racquet
05-15-2011, 02:43 PM
I normally use Topspin Cyber Flash 16, but am considering BHS 16 because of the free stringmeter. Are these strings similar? On the RSI chart the BHS is softer, but loses slightly more tension. Thanks.

I'd say they are VERY similar, if not practically identical.

When I see the slight differences between the softness and tension retention ratings between CF and the Tourna strings, I wonder if it's just the same string but the differences are simply variances that are found between different production reels.

Can we assume the numbers from even the same string brand/gauge will always be the same?

GoodSamaritan
05-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Carolina if they are indeed the same I don't think I'll be trying BHS. I had a hit with my friends racquet which was string with Cyberflash 17 and I didn't like the feel of it. It just felt cheap and stiff to me

TenFanLA
05-15-2011, 03:51 PM
TenFanLA I think you really have to try BHSR it could be the string you're looking for. It doesn't feel stiff at all only a bit compared to BHBR which is really soft almost mushy. BHSR has a great crisp feel and controllable power with the same spin potential to me.

Dagummit! You making me buy another reel. GoodSamaritan and Carolina, would you recommend stringing BHSR 2 lbs less than BHBR (45 vs. 47) or same tension?

GoodSamaritan
05-15-2011, 04:11 PM
I say same tension at first so you can get a more direct comparison with BHBR.

Carolina Racquet
05-16-2011, 06:43 AM
I say same tension at first so you can get a more direct comparison with BHBR.

Agree... I didn't have a problem playing the two strings at the same tension.

GoodSamaritan
05-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Has anyone measured the string diameter of BHSR strings? I recall someone posting about how BHBR 17 Gauge (1.25) actually measured something like 1.18. BHSR 17 didn't feel that thin but it did feel a bit smaller than 1.25. I'm thinking I might try the 16 gauge so I can drop the tension because I strung up BHSR 17 a bit higher than I usually like to

geese_com
05-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Have you tried all the Big Hitter strings geese? Care to offer your comparison of them?

Come to think of it...I actually have!

Played with full jobs of BHBR, BHS, and BHSR and a hybrid with BHB.
The full jobs are all strung at around 49-53lbs.

My rankings are BHSR, BHS, BHBR, BHB.

I enjoyed the spin of BHBR, but the feel of the string bed was just not for me. It might be the extra power from the Blue version of the strings that I don't like since I can generate plenty of power on my own.

BHSR vs. BHS - I thought the BHSR gave me a little more spin, which I liked as well as great control.

Torres
05-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Just finished my initial playtest of Silver Rough (having already gone through a reel of Blue Rough). I've had approx 10 hours of play in each of two racquets.

String: Silver Rough 17 (1.25mm)
Tension: 53lbs CP (Wilson Baiardo)
Racquets: 95/18x20 BLX 6.1, and modded 95/18x20 BLX 6.1 Team

I pretty much agree with the existing comments on Silver Rough. For what they're worth, my initial comments on Silver Rough compared to Blue Rough are as follows:-

- lower powered than Blue Rough
- string feels slightly less lively and slightly more 'classic' feeling. It's got a slight hint of that Alu Rough feel to it.
- at the same tension and with the same amount of time in the racquet, the stringbed is slightly less 'springy'
- slightly crisper initially but there's not a huge amount in it. You feel the crispness more when you really hit through the ball
- slightly more control orientated but I think this is primarily due to the slightly lower power level / slightly reduced springiness.
- the string (to me) feels as if produces slightly less spin and slightly less crazy movement on the ball compared to Blue Rough.
- stringbed feels comfortable and doesn't feel harsh at all

You can tell that both Blue Rough and Silver Rough are from the same family of strings. The differences are slight but if you're familiar with BHBR, you will notice the difference. I've a couple of reels of Silver Rough so will be playtesting it some more over the next couple of months.

I think Unique / Tourna have done an exceptional job of producing two fantastic strings with each of them offering something slightly different.

chrischris
09-24-2011, 12:43 PM

1. Best string is BHSR. Crisp but comfortable. Slightly more pocketing than original Silver. Spin is very nice.

2. BHBR is #2... Comfortable, but not as crisp. Very solid string. You can say it's a little muted, which is a feel characteristic some would say adds comfort and perhaps makes your shots feel solid. Spin is also good.

3. BHB is next. Used to be my favorite poly when I first tried it because of the comfort, but I find it's not as comfortable as either BHBR or BHSR.

4. BHS is last, but it's not a bad string, just not as good as the aforementioned. It is very crisp, not that stiff, but I find it's a little too powerful. My try it again and sting it up a few more pounds.

The Tourna Big Hitter Strings are great, but I'm hooked right now on Volkl Cyclone because I'm looking for a little less power and we've been working well together lately. :)

I tried BHB on frames i used Cyclone in before .. Must say that the Cyclone is way better. The BHB is harsher and less pocketing and has an overall tinny feel. Scissor time!

parasailing
10-03-2011, 03:29 PM
So you feel that Cyclone offers a more solid feel but does it offer as much spin and power as BHBR?

Have you also tried Silverstring, SPPP, or TourBite and how would Cyclone compare?

spillai
12-29-2011, 01:13 PM
I currently use BHBR in my youtek radical pro. Would it be beneficial to try BHSR? I currently have no problems with BHBR.

SteveI
12-31-2011, 06:50 AM
Hi,

Just got back from my 1st test run with the new Tourna Big Hitter Black 7. Only a few hours on the string... Very interesting product. Will post later more later when I have a few more mintues.

Steve

SteveI
12-31-2011, 06:53 AM
Just finished my initial playtest of Silver Rough (having already gone through a reel of Blue Rough). I've had approx 10 hours of play in each of two racquets.

String: Silver Rough 17 (1.25mm)
Tension: 53lbs CP (Wilson Baiardo)
Racquets: 95/18x20 BLX 6.1, and modded 95/18x20 BLX 6.1 Team

I pretty much agree with the existing comments on Silver Rough. For what they're worth, my initial comments on Silver Rough compared to Blue Rough are as follows:-

- lower powered than Blue Rough
- string feels slightly less lively and slightly more 'classic' feeling. It's got a slight hint of that Alu Rough feel to it.
- at the same tension and with the same amount of time in the racquet, the stringbed is slightly less 'springy'
- slightly crisper initially but there's not a huge amount in it. You feel the crispness more when you really hit through the ball
- slightly more control orientated but I think this is primarily due to the slightly lower power level / slightly reduced springiness.
- the string (to me) feels as if produces slightly less spin and slightly less crazy movement on the ball compared to Blue Rough.
- stringbed feels comfortable and doesn't feel harsh at all

You can tell that both Blue Rough and Silver Rough are from the same family of strings. The differences are slight but if you're familiar with BHBR, you will notice the difference. I've a couple of reels of Silver Rough so will be playtesting it some more over the next couple of months.

I think Unique / Tourna have done an exceptional job of producing two fantastic strings with each of them offering something slightly different.

Nice review. You will have another string to test in the very near future.. Can't wait to get your insights. I did a quick hit this morning.. and will be hitting later today again..

freeez
01-06-2012, 08:27 AM
I have been using bhbr17 in a tfight320. Love it so far. Excellent spin,control, comfort, tension maintenance strung@60. The 320 is incredibly powerful and I find so is the bhbr17, I would next have to string it up @63.
I would like to know if bhsr is the same as bhbr in all aspects but just less powerful.

Tmano
01-06-2012, 02:32 PM
I plaied with BHS and BHSR and here is what I think.

BHS 16g strung at 53 on a pure storm gt tour full bed: at first was pretty stiff low powered, control oriented with a decent amount of spin production, not too much not too little. Nice kick on the second serve and great for flat first serve as well. About the feel the string got much better when lost some pounds. The first hours of playing were fine but I think that around the 5th hours of playing with it I got to say that my elbow which no string has never really bothered it started hurting a little. However as soon as the tension dropped a little I had no issue with it any more. I believe that this string works really well around 48/50 pound.

BHSR 16g strung at 53 on a pure storm gt tour full bed: much different string in my opinion, more powerful than BHS, for sure a little less control oriented, nice spin but not great, just a bit better than BHS and the bed felt a bit softer in fact my elbow was fine. Slicing was a bit easier with BHSR. Regarding serving with it nothing major to say, just a bit more spin...the rest is the same.
I may have to edit this later on because I hit with this string for about 3 hours.

So far BHS in my opinion is much better

COPEY
01-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Interesting reading. I was talking to a guy tonight who handed me his Wilson K four strung with a full bed of BHSR at 53 (lo). He loves it, wanted me to throw in the same stuff. I told him I had plenty of the BHS, but not the BHSR, and that when I compared the two side-by-side, I didn't notice a discernible difference in performance. Like you, I preferred BHS actually. I'm not suggesting BHSR is a bad string, not at all. I just feel there wasn't much value added, that BHSR isn't a step-up.

fgs
01-06-2012, 05:45 PM
the bhsr is twisted and the funny thing is that it plays slightly softer than the plain bhs. usually twisted strings are a little stiffer than their plain counterparts. it also gives a tiny little bit more spin than the plain one, but that is valid for abour 3-4 hitting hours only, as the profile wears down by then.

since the bhsr comes at a higher price (at least here in europe), i don't think it is a "good" investment - which does not mean that it is a bad string. i rather liked it, but if i would have to chose i'd rather go with the regular bhs most probably.

Rjtennis
01-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Arent BHBR and BHSR the same strings just in different colors?

pvaudio
01-06-2012, 10:09 PM
^^^No. Much like BHB and BH (I guess Big Hitter Silver is just actually Big Hitter) play differently, BHSR is not similar to BHBR. BHSR is a far stiffer feeling string.

brettsticker86
03-30-2012, 07:58 AM
i'm wanting to try out Big Hitter black 7 and big hitter blue rough, anyone with extensive experience with both/either?

Lefty5
03-30-2012, 08:06 AM
i'm wanting to try out Big Hitter black 7 and big hitter blue rough, anyone with extensive experience with both/either?

I am one of many with experience with both of these strings, and they are both great strings. BHBR will be a litte more powerful, Black 7 will be a little less power and more control oriented. Spin on both is some of the best you're going to find. Its probably going to come down to your frame and tension pref to decide between the two.

Bmr
03-30-2012, 08:15 AM

Check out this thread..there are a lot of comparisons between the two:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=407097

Bobo96
03-30-2012, 08:22 AM
I don't get it, is Big Hitter blue rough, and big hitter silver rough different strings, or just different colors????

How would you compare them to Big Hitter black 7? I need to know if it's considered better and worth trying.

Btw I tried BHB7. Unbelievable spin, decent feel and a lot of easy power, maybe too much. got it strung at 53 on my youtek prestige pro, definitely going higher next time.

sansaephanh
03-30-2012, 10:14 AM

IMO no, But I did try in on two completely different rackets and tensions. BHBR was softer with a great amount of spin and power. Tornado was so stiff, but it gave the most insane pop when you swung out on it. Incredible spin for tornado as well. Everything just flew off the court.

Anyone know this as well? What about comfort compared?

BHBR wins in comfort for sure.

kiteboard
03-30-2012, 03:04 PM
I don't get it, is Big Hitter blue rough, and big hitter silver rough different strings, or just different colors????

How would you compare them to Big Hitter black 7? I need to know if it's considered better and worth trying.

Btw I tried BHB7. Unbelievable spin, decent feel and a lot of easy power, maybe too much. got it strung at 53 on my youtek prestige pro, definitely going higher next time.

Go up to 60lbs. Bhbr is softer, less spin, more tens. loss, less slice spin, less of a cutting feel. Silver is stiffer, more for flat hitters than spin hitters.

Bobo96
03-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Go up to 60lbs. Bhbr is softer, less spin, more tens. loss, less slice spin, less of a cutting feel. Silver is stiffer, more for flat hitters than spin hitters.

Thanks! so do you favor BHB7 over the other two?

kiteboard
03-31-2012, 05:03 PM
If you love slice and a cutting/biting edge feel, then bhb7. If you favor flat shots, stiffer feel: bhsr, if you favor powered spin, softer feel, bhbr. Of course, all of these vary if you hybrid as main, or as cross, with other strings, rec.: nrg2, ytex quadro twist, syn gut of choice, bbo, etc.

TLy963
04-26-2012, 05:02 PM
of the four bh strings (excluding black one) which would hybrid well with OGSM 17 natural in cross
looking for pop/crisp fee+ control oriented. Im a flat-ish hitter

kiteboard
04-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Flat hitters like bhbr/og. They also like bhs/og. Try both.

Maroon_Tenniskid
04-26-2012, 06:38 PM
of the four bh strings (excluding black one) which would hybrid well with OGSM 17 natural in cross
looking for pop/crisp fee+ control oriented. Im a flat-ish hitter

Definitely BHS 17! I hybrided it with OGSM 18 in the crosses and it hit like a dream until it broke and I was hitting some of the most amazing flat shots in my life.

TenFanLA
07-11-2012, 10:44 AM
To all the Tourna Big Hitter experts,

I'm thinking about trying out Big Hitter Silver as a cross to ogsm 16 mains. Is BHS 17 truly 1.25 or does it run thin like BHBR 17 and BHSR 17 which run more like 1.20? If BHS runs thin, I may need to get 16g to get 1.25.

kpvols
08-23-2012, 09:22 PM
so i just bought my own stringer and wanting to try out different setups and see that a lot of people recommend these strings. which one of the setups will do best for me between the BHBR and BHSR, i have a medium spin and power hit and if you chose a hybrid id like it with a synthetic gut probably because its cheap. so out of BHBR and BHSR full or hybrid setup would do best with medium spin and power game. also Ive never played with pull poly setup so that is why i am asking.

Torres
08-24-2012, 03:37 AM
Try out a few combinations at different tensions and see what you prefer.

My personal preferences would be as follows, though this will obviously vary from person to person:

1. BHBR16 - 53lbs CP
2. BHBR16 / Silverstring 1.20 (+1lbs mains)
3. BHBR17 / Silverstring 1.20 (+1 mains)
4. BHBR16 / Syn Gut 17 (+2 crosses)
5. BHBR17 / BHSR17
6. BHBR16 / BHBS16 (haven't tried but should be good in theory)

Lots more information in this thread:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=323387

mike84
09-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Just tried full bed with Tourna Big Hitter 7 String 16 (Tension: 52lb)

The spin is shocking not sure how long it will last. It feels like cheating second serves are ridiculous. However the feel/power is not good at all. Volleying has no feel. First serves are weak. Would not recommend to flat hitters. For players that like spin this is heaven.

Lefty5
09-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Just tried full bed with Tourna Big Hitter 7 String 16 (Tension: 52lb)

The spin is shocking not sure how long it will last. It feels like cheating second serves are ridiculous. However the feel/power is not good at all. Volleying has no feel. First serves are weak. Would not recommend to flat hitters. For players that like spin this is heaven.

The spin lasts a really long time, especially when compared to other polys. I can't say enough about how well it does over time. The lower power takes getting used to but once you do, your love for your new ability to control the ball will outweigh anything.

Torres
09-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Good BHB7 thread below BHB7 does indeed last a (relatively) long time for a poly.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=407097

mike84
09-20-2012, 03:06 PM
^^^^^

Thanks guys for info.

Will go over to other thread.

Its definitely going to become my favorite string I just to dial it in coming from alu power.

sansaephanh
09-20-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm kind of on a multi loving streak... I kinda want to jump back into BHBR 17 though...

ilovetennis212
03-28-2014, 06:21 AM
Deleted.....

rev200g
03-31-2014, 08:32 AM
The setup I use for my 300 Tours (97 sq inch 18x20) is BHBR 17 mains @48lbs & Head PPS 16 crosses @50-52lbs.

logrock
03-31-2014, 12:57 PM
Big fan of Tourna strings and have tried a ton.
I prefer BHS 17 with forten sweet 16 as a cross or BHBR 17 straight up. To me the BHS is more control oriented & BHBR for more pop. For the price you can't go wrong with either.

SammyAdamsMD
03-31-2014, 02:41 PM
Absolutely love Big Hitter Black 7 17 gauge in my prince Longbody 100s and prestige MPs. Soft, terrific bite. Downside is loss of tension and playability after 8 hours.

veecee
04-01-2014, 07:46 AM
Big fan of Tourna strings and have tried a ton.
I prefer BHS 17 with forten sweet 16 as a cross or BHBR 17 straight up. To me the BHS is more control oriented & BHBR for more pop. For the price you can't go wrong with either.

Hi mate. How do BHS 17 and BHBR 17 compare in terms of playability and tension retention? Looking to use wither straight up. Thanks.

logrock
04-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Hi mate. How do BHS 17 and BHBR 17 compare in terms of playability and tension retention? Looking to use wither straight up. Thanks.

Both are really great strings but play very differently depends what you are looking for. BHBR 17 is softer with more pop & spin but loses it's characteristics much quicker than BHS. Probably because it is a softer string, in fact it feels like a stiff multi to me. I love it for about a month playing twice a week and the it just dies. Played much better straight up then in hybrid. BHS is a little stiffer playing with less power, more control oriented. Feel better when I hybrid with a multi or syngut. Used to use Forten Sweet 16 but now have Tech. Multifeel 17 in crosses. I think I prefer the Forten, just feels more control oriented. This setup has lasted me up to 4 months playing twice a week. Finding the right tension is the key for both, I prefer the 46- 52 range for both. Hope this helps!

SteveI
04-02-2014, 01:41 AM
Both are really great strings but play very differently depends what you are looking for. BHBR 17 is softer with more pop & spin but loses it's characteristics much quicker than BHS. Probably because it is a softer string, in fact it feels like a stiff multi to me. I love it for about a month playing twice a week and the it just dies. Played much better straight up then in hybrid. BHS is a little stiffer playing with less power, more control oriented. Feel better when I hybrid with a multi or syngut. Used to use Forten Sweet 16 but now have Tech. Multifeel 17 in crosses. I think I prefer the Forten, just feels more control oriented. This setup has lasted me up to 4 months playing twice a week. Finding the right tension is the key for both, I prefer the 46- 52 range for both. Hope this helps!

What frame are you using? THX

logrock
04-03-2014, 04:57 AM
What frame are you using? THX

Just switched from my LM Rad MP (Austrian made) to Youtek IG Speed Elite.
I have added about 5 grams under the grip. As a I'm getting older and playing more dubs felt the need for a lighter quicker frame for net play. (Jury is still out on this one).
Currently stringing BHS 17 mains x Tech. Multifeel crosses @ 50/52 but a little too low powered for me. I will probably lower the tension a bit or try BHBR 17 @ 52 in a full bed.

veecee
04-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Thanks for your input logrock.

I've just had my ncode 95 restrung with BHBR 17 at 57lbs. Previously had it with Cyclone 16 at 55lbs. Cyclone felt great at the start but got a bit erratic with some minor elbow ping as it lost tension. Really looking forward to see how the BHBR 17 goes...

logrock
04-03-2014, 10:43 AM
I played with Cyclone 17ga for a short time. Same thing as you and felt that honeymoon period lasted way too short and did feel some elbow twinges even at 52lbs.
BHBR 17 is much softer and doesn't go dead nearly as quick. (IMO)
I never go higher than 52lbs though but I'm an older guy (lol).
Good luck at 57lbs, my quess is that you will want to try it lower at some point especially in a 95 sq inch frame.

ilovetennis212
04-05-2014, 08:23 AM
Deleted....

Egoista
04-05-2014, 10:02 AM

i agree with your above definition to the letter

Macedo
04-05-2014, 10:58 AM
Do they work at low tensions like 19kg? I'm playing with BHB7 with 19kg, I need more power but if I low more I presume that I won't have more power and I'll be playing with a "butterfly net"

veecee
06-17-2014, 08:05 AM
I played with Cyclone 17ga for a short time. Same thing as you and felt that honeymoon period lasted way too short and did feel some elbow twinges even at 52lbs.
BHBR 17 is much softer and doesn't go dead nearly as quick. (IMO)
I never go higher than 52lbs though but I'm an older guy (lol).
Good luck at 57lbs, my quess is that you will want to try it lower at some point especially in a 95 sq inch frame.

You were right 57lbs played like a pile of poo... So I've put the stick away since. But tonight I took it with me thinking I'd give it another go before cutting it out. To my surprise, it played really nicely! I think the tension loss from leaving it for a couple of months actually put it within the right ballpark. Going to have to order more BHBR now - compliments the Ncode 95 really nicely!

bluetrain4
06-17-2014, 08:09 AM
I use the silver and it's a very solid, low-cost string. Didn't like the blue, but that was a while ago. I cut it out immediately and probably should have gave it some more time.

idono1301
06-17-2014, 03:43 PM
I tried the silver also. It played decently at 58lbs. Serves felt great, but the groundstrokes were lacking compared to Alu Power. When the tension dropped, it switched so that groundstrokes felt nice, but no control on serves.

It is important to note that this dropped the most tension out of any poly I've tried :(