PDA

View Full Version : Help with new hybrid setup

The Djoker
03-20-2011, 02:00 PM
I just ordered some new strings off of TW, and I am planning on stringing up a hybrid of MSV Hex 17L mains/Gosen OGSM 18 crosses. I would string a 16g multi at 60 lbs. normally. Does anyone have any suggestions for tensions? Thanks! btw i'm playing with a HM 200g 18x20:)

The Djoker
03-20-2011, 03:57 PM
I was thinking 52/53. Is this a good difference between tensions for the copoly/syngut, or should I make the gap wider? Also, should I go lower overall? i could stand slightly more power than my current setup (see signature), but not much...

COPEY
03-20-2011, 09:22 PM
If I'm reading your sig right, it looks like you own two identical racquets. If so, string one up at one tension and another one up at a different tension; see which one you prefer.

You could get several different recommendations about what tension to use, and none of them could be to your liking. I string for a college kid that uses Pro Hurricane strung at 62 lol. I think he's nuts, but he loves it, and he's one heck of a player. It's all about personal preference. Pick a starting point and go from there.

Irakli
03-21-2011, 05:50 AM
I was thinking 52/53. Is this a good difference between tensions for the copoly/syngut, or should I make the gap wider? Also, should I go lower overall? i could stand slightly more power than my current setup (see signature), but not much...

I would up the tension for Gosen and would make it 52(mains) 55(crosses). Personally I string multi in the crosses 5lb higher and itís working pretty good, but since OGSM is a stiffer synt. gut, guess 3lb higher would be good.
I guess 52lb is a good starting point for a poly. Start there, and see how you like it.
I also found out that synthetic gut in crosses at higher tension keeps the overall tension and playability longer than full poly setup.

Best of luck,
Irakli

tennisaddict2223
03-21-2011, 07:27 AM
Djoker I would string the mains at a higher tension say 56 or 57 lbs and then string the crosses the same tension or a pound lower especially if you are playing with a thinner gauge in the crosses. This setup will give you the spin and control you need and the crosses will last longer as well. For me hybrids should not go lower than 55 pounds unless you use the Federer setup then you can go lower. This is just my opinion though.

The Djoker
03-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I may go with Irakli's suggested 52/55. Tennis addict, I will definitely be open to going higher if I feel the need, but I measured my main racquet right now with that iPod app and the Gamma Multi I have in it is down to 49 lbs., and I am liking how its hitting now compared to newly strung.

Copey, that is good advice. The only problem is that I am not a member at a club or anything, and everywhere around me charges like $15 to string poly or hybrid setups...Thats more expensive than the string!