PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about Wild Dunes Tennis Resort, SC?

longbody
04-23-2004, 08:38 AM
Am looking for a combined beach / tennis school vacation in the Charleston-Hilton Head area (beach for my family, tennis instruction for me).

Has anyone been to Wild Dunes in Isle of Palms, SC?

Are there any tennis resorts in Hilton Head that you would recommend?

Thanks.

NMTennis
04-25-2004, 06:08 PM
I could not speak highly enough of Wild Dunes resort. I went for about 4 days with my girlfriend last fall. The IOP (isle of Palms) is beautiful, and 25 min from Charleston. In terms of...

Tennis: 17 Har-Tru courts. People staying at the resort get one free hour of tennis a day. Supposedly they have a system to set up appropriate playing partners, however I did not use this. I did the Stroke of the Day clinic one morning and thought it was helpful. The courts are in excellent shape. The pro shop is small, but adequate (slightly expensive - to be expected).

Other amenities: 2 beautiful golf courses (don't play gold, but have heard they are excellent). Stayed at the boardwalk inn, very nice, very quiet with beautiful pools and restaurant. Short walk along the boardwalk to the beauch, which was very nice to run along and walk with my girlfriend. Several restaurants on site (did not use).

Charleston: loved it! Can't wait to go back some time in the fall (I think summer would be too hot and sticky). easy manageable city to walk around with beautiful architecture and excellent restaurants. A major plus of Wild Dunes is it's easy access to charleston - You can hang out and play tennis in the morning, and then go into charleston in the afternoon.evening to walk around, shop and have a nice dinner!

Any other questions? :?:

longbody
04-26-2004, 04:34 AM
NMT, thanks for responding. We had pretty much decided to go for it, and now we're convinced! By chance, did you take any lessons from TJ the head pro?

NMTennis
04-26-2004, 04:59 AM
I don't remember the name of the pro who taught the lession. I don't think it was the head pro. I'm sure it'll be good...the whole place is pretty top notch (however, it was my first visit to a real "tennis resort" - so no means of comparison available).

Kevin T
05-01-2004, 04:42 AM
Longbody,

Am a local here in the Mt. Pleasant/Isle of Palms area and Wild Dunes gets a big thumbs up. I've been here for 3 years (originally from VA) and don't have a bad thing to say about the place. Stroke of the Day and the hitting partner matching system are great. IOP is a true beach community, no commercialization whatsoever. A couple of really nice bars and restaurants. Sullivan's Island (right next to IOP) is great for bike rides and also has a few cool beach-type bars and restaurants (Poe's is great on Friday and Sat. night). Nice golf at Wild Dunes, Rivertowne (just north on 17N) or
Charleston National. The Towne Center in Mt. Pleasant (You will pass right by it before getting on the IOP connector) is great for shopping (many chain restaurants, Gap, Banana, Barnes and Noble, etc.) and Las Vegas Golf and Tennis (hope you like Wilson, Prince or Head!). Then of course, there is Charleston. Enough said. Oh, and there are plenty of public courts right there in IOP or Sullivan's Island where you can play right next to the beach. I would also recommend kite surfing if you have the gumption (good surf days can be few and far between). Have a good one. I know you'll have a good time.

rogercox
05-13-2004, 09:57 AM
Both T.J. van Thullenar and Steve Brady at Wild Dunes have very good reputations as instructors. You can find out more about Wild Dunes and read other vacationers reviews by visiting http://travel.tennis-warehouse.com/TWTravel/Wild_Dunes.cfm

longbody
05-25-2004, 06:57 AM
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I just came back from Wild Dunes and would highly recommend it. Great beach/tennis combo. Had excellent lessons with both Steve and T.J. -- they really listened to what I wanted to work on and then constructed good, hard drills for my specific problem areas. I can't say enough good things about them and the resort.

alsziv
09-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Kevin T:

Where do you live in Mt Pleasant and where do you play out of?