PDA

View Full Version : Bag Check -- Oops, A Slip of The Tongue

jaap deboeck
03-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Those usually mundane "bag checks" have (unintentionally) revealed what many TW posters have long suspected. Shocking(?) Well, not at all.

We saw the latest assumed NBT (Next Big Thing) in USA mens tennis inform us that he has used the revealed racket "for years." Odd that the noted Pure Storm Ltd GT is "new" and has not been around...for years! Either a paint job or just maybe the "GT" is merely a marketing gimmick. What a shock!

We saw a tall heavy hitting East Eurpopean star inform us how "I've used the same racket my entire career!" Really? Her revealed gaudily painted BLX Tour (95) has only just been introduced in 2010. It is the 5th incarnation, ever "improved." Either a paint job or differing so little from the prior 4+ versions that it isn't even worth noting by a pro!

And so it goes. I actually respect Sampras for not pulling that stunt in his career...unlike Andre, Head's merchandising magnet.

sureshs
03-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Good evidence to use in a lawsuit

Douggo
03-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Wait - you mean this time we have PROOF that pros use paint jobs?

XFactorer
03-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Wait - you mean this time we have PROOF that pros use paint jobs?

Wait... pros don't use the sticks we buy off the shelves?

baseline_monster
03-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Those usually mundane "bag checks" have (unintentionally) revealed what many TW posters have long suspected. Shocking(?) Well, not at all.

We saw the latest assumed NBT (Next Big Thing) in USA mens tennis inform us that he has used the revealed racket "for years." Odd that the noted Pure Storm Ltd GT is "new" and has not been around...for years! Either a paint job or just maybe the "GT" is merely a marketing gimmick. What a shock!

We saw a tall heavy hitting East Eurpopean star inform us how "I've used the same racket my entire career!" Really? Her revealed gaudily painted BLX Tour (95) has only just been introduced in 2010. It is the 5th incarnation, ever "improved." Either a paint job or differing so little from the prior 4+ versions that it isn't even worth noting by a pro!

And so it goes. I actually respect Sampras for not pulling that stunt in his career...unlike Andre, Head's merchandising magnet.

Haha you describe it as a undercover mission and is if you will be "silenced" for saying there name! One thing is for sure, if Wilson said theyd pay me x amount a year to have my racket painted, I'd snap it up and you would as well.

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
03-21-2011, 10:23 PM
I hope this thread is a joke.

I really do.

eidolonshinobi
03-21-2011, 11:38 PM

No way! Everything I know is lieeeeeee

Cup8489
03-22-2011, 09:19 AM

What?! you mean Robin Soderling didn't use to use the MG Radical MP?!

WHAT?!?!

Devilito
03-22-2011, 10:59 AM
you guys all laugh but i bet %99.9 of the viewing public have never even heard of the term "paint job" in regards to tennis equipment. People on this forum represent a very small % of people in the know on that type of stuff

LPShanet
03-22-2011, 11:37 AM

Don't respect Sampras too much for it. His reasons weren't principle, but money and superstition. So the right thing for the wrong reason.

bluescreen
03-22-2011, 01:52 PM
money? Sampras took a hit money-wise for not using the current paint jobs. Yes, he was superstitious, but I'd hardly consider money a part of his decision.

Larrysümmers
03-22-2011, 02:02 PM
you guys all laugh but i bet %99.9 of the viewing public have never even heard of the term "paint job" in regards to tennis equipment. People on this forum represent a very small % of people in the know on that type of stuff

i didnt hear about it until i joined the forum.

bluetrain4
03-22-2011, 02:02 PM

I agree, but, on the other hand, it's seemingly only those on TW who actually care. I've explained paint jobs to casual tennis fans/players and they always stare at be blankly trying to figure out why they should care one way or the other.

baseline_monster
03-22-2011, 02:59 PM
I agree, but, on the other hand, it's seemingly only those on TW who actually care. I've explained paint jobs to casual tennis fans/players and they always stare at be blankly trying to figure out why they should care one way or the other.

Sooooo true, the people I know who know I come on here think I'm a geek lol!

XFactorer
03-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Isn't it great that most of us here are equipment geeks?! People at my club don't care about the equipment as much as this awesome community!

During the US Open I was wearing the Federer day polo and I asked people who at my club who at the tourney was wearing the polo... and they couldn't even guess. Not even based on the RF on the front chest. *sigh*

LPShanet
03-22-2011, 04:46 PM
money? Sampras took a hit money-wise for not using the current paint jobs. Yes, he was superstitious, but I'd hardly consider money a part of his decision.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Money was part of his decision because they refused to pay him enough for it to be worth it to him. There was a negotiation, and the amount he wanted was different for paint job and not. They wouldn't meet his PJ figure. So money was part of the decision.

LPShanet
03-22-2011, 04:48 PM

Maybe my mileage has varied, but I find a lot of people are interested (and shocked/dismayed) but some also don't believe it's true. Meanwhile, there are also quite a few people (racquet companies and some of the press) who are trying to paint (no pun intended) pj whistleblowers as nutty conspiracy theorists of the grassy knoll variety.

VGP
03-22-2011, 05:22 PM
I know the whole paintjob thing has been around for a while, but I remember a nice article featuring Agassi's racket-go-round he did early in his pro career. The article was in the August 1989 issue of Tennis Magazine. I'll have to dig it out and re-read it. Ever since then I've been an equipment geek.

Keifers
03-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Isn't it great that most of us here are equipment geeks?! People at my club don't care about the equipment as much as this awesome community!

During the US Open I was wearing the Federer day polo and I asked people who at my club who at the tourney was wearing the polo... and they couldn't even guess. Not even based on the RF on the front chest. *sigh*
Well, that was money well spent!! *sigh* indeed!... ;):)

DAS2011
03-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Hmmm, some odd experiences here...

The only times I have spoken about this sort of thing, the other party (invariably someone more casual than myself) immediately accepts it as a fact of life that pros use PJs. Most of them had already assumed as much before I had even spoken to them. They find it natural that those with the most talent/money will simply get better frames than the rest of us. Also, none of them seem annoyed by it, seemingly because they assumed that Pro frames would be much too demanding and specialized for recreational players to use anyway...

LPShanet
03-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Hmmm, some odd experiences here...

The only times I have spoken about this sort of thing, the other party (invariably someone more casual than myself) immediately accepts it as a fact of life that pros use PJs. Most of them had already assumed as much before I had even spoken to them. They find it natural that those with the most talent/money will simply get better frames than the rest of us. Also, none of them seem annoyed by it, seemingly because they assumed that Pro frames would be much too demanding and specialized for recreational players to use anyway...

Because of the assumption that pros are using "better" stuff than the rest of us, many are surprised to find out that most pros are actually using older stock frames, and that they don't take advantage of the latest "technologies" or have special materials.

li0scc0
03-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Because of the assumption that pros are using "better" stuff than the rest of us, many are surprised to find out that most pros are actually using older stock frames, and that they don't take advantage of the latest "technologies" or have special materials.

Agreed. I find that people, sometimes, get jaded at the racquet companies because of this. Usually a person who just put down $199 for the latest Babolat or Wilson :)

bluetrain4
03-23-2011, 11:51 AM
I don't really remember how it was when I was in high school and college, but it seems like back then (late 80s, early 90s) rackets weren't introduced so quickly. Manufacturers would introduce a new frame, but not necessarily update an old frame. Again, maybe they were introducing frames just as fast and I don't remember.

But now frames are introduced at a blistering pace. A manufactuer's entire line is updated every two years. Even if a pro player was using a stock frame (we all know many are not), it would be unreasonable for him or to switch rackets 5 times during a 10-year career. Thus, paintjobs to keep up with the pace of change.

I was surprised to see DelPo sporting a KFactor paint job at IW. He said something about going back to a different frame. But, why wouldn't Wilson paint his frame the same no matter what he chooses?

li0scc0
03-23-2011, 11:56 AM
I was surprised to see DelPo sporting a KFactor paint job at IW. He said something about going back to a different frame. But, why wouldn't Wilson paint his frame the same no matter what he chooses?

Because the KFactor frames have been 're-introduced'. You can buy them at dribaloH backwards, stropStseWdiM backwards, TE, as well as at...gasp...WalMart online. Hence, it makes sense having somebody use these racquets.

Fuji
03-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Bahahahahaha I just found the K 6.1 95 in my grip size at Walmart.com. That is so hilarious. Since when did Walmart start stocking decent tennis equipment?

-Fuji

LPShanet
03-24-2011, 07:32 AM
I don't really remember how it was when I was in high school and college, but it seems like back then (late 80s, early 90s) rackets weren't introduced so quickly. Manufacturers would introduce a new frame, but not necessarily update an old frame. Again, maybe they were introducing frames just as fast and I don't remember.

But now frames are introduced at a blistering pace. A manufactuer's entire line is updated every two years. Even if a pro player was using a stock frame (we all know many are not), it would be unreasonable for him or to switch rackets 5 times during a 10-year career. Thus, paintjobs to keep up with the pace of change.

Your memory is 100% correct. Racquets weren't introduced so quickly then. New models were less likely to be updates of existing ones. And the number of paintjobs on tour was far less (although the practice did exist to some extent) because far more pros were using versions of stock frames. New introductions were based on actual new changes or ideas rather than meeting a 2-year marketing cycle. And frames were not discontinued and replaced if they still sold well.

The escalation has a lot to do with price pressure, as the retail price of tennis racquets has remained essentially unchanged in the last 25 years, while relative costs of manufacture have kept pace with the rest of the economy. Our unwillingness to pay fair prices for our frames (or possibly manufacturers' fears that we won't pay) has brought about a lot of changes in the biz.

CANTGETENOUGHTENNIS!
03-24-2011, 07:55 AM
This Is a great thread!!!!I buy older rackets because they are made without money conservative methods pros use them and they play better than crappy current racquets. Now companies use foam in the handle, hollow frames, and marketing techniques that make people want to purchase their "newer better" rackets even though it's really worse and cheaper made racquets.

VGP
03-24-2011, 08:04 AM
Add to it the wrinkle of counterfeit merchandise.....coming out with a "new" version quickly helps combat this.

I think the cosmetics of frames aren't just for show or advertising or whether or not they look cool in HD.....even though they do. Manufacturers would want them to be more difficult to replicate. Look at the "Spider-Man" graphics of some Prince frames, or the fancy shiny logos on Wilson frames. It sure keeps the graphic design staff busy.....

kevoT
03-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Someone care to say the names? was this the bag check thing like I've seen on youtube?

li0scc0
03-24-2011, 11:39 AM
This Is a great thread!!!!I buy older rackets because they are made without money conservative methods pros use them and they play better than crappy current racquets. Now companies use foam in the handle, hollow frames, and marketing techniques that make people want to purchase their "newer better" rackets even though it's really worse and cheaper made racquets.

My early 80's Volkl's used foam in the handle.

LPShanet
03-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Someone care to say the names? was this the bag check thing like I've seen on youtube?

The OP was referring to the Bag Check feature on Tennis Channel, and the player in question at the start of the thread was Ryan Harrison. But there are other examples if you look carefully.

Agassi-Fan
03-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Another example is the Bag Check with Safin. He said he used "Head" raquests his whole life....even though he had a breif sponsor ship with Dunlop????