PDA

View Full Version : hand and eye what???

FREDDY
06-20-2005, 03:27 PM
what exercises can i do to help my hand and eye coordination??? what exercises can i do to improve my game? i need tweeking. what else should a tennis player have besides hand and eye coordination?

pro_staff
06-20-2005, 04:11 PM
hold your racket continental and juggle the ball on your frame

TwistServe
06-20-2005, 04:25 PM
Hold the racquet with any grip and bounce the ball up and down without allowing the ball to drop.. However, you must create spin each time the ball hits the racquet.

TennsDog
06-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Play ping pong. The best way, I think, to improve is to spend hours against a wall and work on hitting the sweet spot on the stringbed.

papa
06-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Hit BBs with a broom stick - know someone who did that as a kid - Golf's "Hit-Man". Anyway, he claims this helped him develope his hand - eye cordination.

Exile
06-20-2005, 05:16 PM
juggle

screw char min.

SageOfDeath
06-20-2005, 06:19 PM
when you say BBs you mean baseballs right? NOT Bungalo Bills?
Tennis players should have strong quads, and calfs, for running. Should have strong forearms, biceps, deltoids, triceps for gripping, ripping, and serving. Overall they should have strong muscles everwhere in their body but I've been working on my triceps for my serving but then again tennis is more of a leg game.

SageOfDeath
06-20-2005, 06:22 PM
O yea you need good eyesight..... no excercise there but if your eye sight isn't 20/20 then get contacts preferably because you really need to be able to call shots when you are doing matches. It also helps you eye hand cordination for obvious reasons. I got soft contacts but now I need sunglasses or something because the sun gets in your eye when you serve.

Geezer Guy
06-21-2005, 08:53 AM
Get a reflex ball and play catch against a wall. This has really helped me with reflex volleys.

Carley1986
06-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Hand and eye coordination in tennis you need heaps of practice on the court. This is the best way to improve your hand and eye. It's not only that but it'll improve your footwork and the way you play. Some exersice maybe get someone to give you a drill, or hitting against the wall also helps (make sure u do your swing right when you play against the walls).

Guga_x
06-21-2005, 09:06 AM
The human motor coordination should be mostly developed at between 5 and 13 years of age. After that your abbility to gain coordination is severely reduced.

This is why if you try to teach a new technical sport to someone that has spent his youth playing around with different sports it learns much faster than if you try the same with someone who just sat at home watching tv.

By this I don't mean you cannot improve your current hand eye coordination. Just expect it to be much tougher that you think. Try playing fast videogames (not joking) when you are at home, as they are one of the most challanging training you can do. Try the one on one combat type games.

Rickson
06-21-2005, 09:42 AM
I learned how to juggle a little over a year ago and it only took an hour. I now juggle better than anyone I know personally. I don't believe that nonsense about being coordinated at a young age because I've beaten high school seniors who play on a team and they've been playing for over 5 years while I have only 2 years of tennis experience. You can be good at any sport at almost any age.

Guga_x
06-21-2005, 10:01 AM
I think you got me wrong there Rickson.

What I said was IF you did a lot of coordination activities like runing around, playing with your mates WHEN you were young, then it will be EASIER for you to learn a new sport NOW, than for someone who has not developed the coordination skills while young.

I am 24 and have played soccer, basketball, bodyboard and taekwon-do in competition, since I was like 10. It is much easier for me to learn a new sport than for anyone who has never played sports in their life. See what I mean?

If you don't believe me take a lecture from any bimechanical info source, and they'll tell you the same thing.

peripatetic
06-21-2005, 10:06 AM
The human motor coordination should be mostly developed at between 5 and 13 years of age. After that your abbility to gain coordination is severely reduced.

...followed by...

By this I don't mean you cannot improve your current hand eye coordination.

Um, well, er, yeah, actually, that sounds like exactly what you mean.

To the OP: I read some years back about a doctor who had created a set of eye exercises that, when done on a regular basis, actually improved the vision of some of his patients. Basically, he had designed exercises for strengthening the eye muscles, which, like all other muscles, can usually improve with regular workouts. I don't remember what these were called, but maybe you can do research among some opthalmologists.

My vision sucks. Good luck with yours.

papa
06-21-2005, 10:23 AM
when you say BBs you mean baseballs right? NOT Bungalo Bills?
Tennis players should have strong quads, and calfs, for running. Should have strong forearms, biceps, deltoids, triceps for gripping, ripping, and serving. Overall they should have strong muscles everwhere in their body but I've been working on my triceps for my serving but then again tennis is more of a leg game.

BBs like in BB gun - available at Wal Mart. You can get 6000 of them for 5 0r six bucks.

Rickson
06-21-2005, 10:33 AM
I think you got me wrong there Rickson.

What I said was IF you did a lot of coordination activities like runing around, playing with your mates WHEN you were young, then it will be EASIER for you to learn a new sport NOW, than for someone who has not developed the coordination skills while young.

I am 24 and have played soccer, basketball, bodyboard and taekwon-do in competition, since I was like 10. It is much easier for me to learn a new sport than for anyone who has never played sports in their life. See what I mean?

If you don't believe me take a lecture from any bimechanical info source, and they'll tell you the same thing.
I guess that's a possiblility, but I didn't become an exceptional athlete until I was 18. I started playing basketball and it was the sport I loved until I took up tennis 2 years ago. I didn't start lifting weights until I was 19, but before I reached 30, I was benching 315 lbs. with a 345 lb. personal best. My point is I started being athletic and powerlifting very late in life so I'm not sure how valid that study is. I will concede however that I may have been even better at sports and powerlifting if I had started earlier in life, but I guess I'll never know.

NoBadMojo
06-21-2005, 10:33 AM
I agree w. Guga X, playing a bunch of different sports at a young age does wonders for your hand/eye coordination. thats why you have so many players just banging from the baseline...that's the easiest way to play and requires the least amount of hand/eye. playing shortstop and throwing out a runner at 1st base is essentially a crosscourt forehand..shooting a 12 foot jumper is very similar to the push upward w. your lower body for the serve..etc etc. most sports really use similar skills. i feel lucky..i played and enjoyed all kinds of sports as a kid except tennis and didnt start tennis until after college, but made it up to the 5.5's pretty quickly relatively speaking.

Brettolius
06-21-2005, 10:42 AM
methinks a broomstick wouldn't last too long if you were hitting baseballs with it. prolly wouldn't help hand\eye much either. bb pellets though...

Bungalo Bill
06-21-2005, 11:12 AM
what exercises can i do to help my hand and eye coordination??? what exercises can i do to improve my game? i need tweeking. what else should a tennis player have besides hand and eye coordination?

In tennis, you can develop your hand eye coordination by bouncing the ball on your racquet. You can use the string side at first and then learn to bounce the ball on the frame. Or go to a backboard and throw a ball against a wall and catch it as it comes back. Catching the ball in your hand connects what the eye sees and how the brain sends signals for the hand to position itself for the catch.

You can also practice hitting against a wall to help you with hand/eye coordination. One of the best ways to do this is stand about 6 feet away from the wall and volley the ball softly against the wall. Do not let the ball bounce and try to see how many times you can keep the ball going. Your goal should be 50 times.

A lot of tennis is not necessarily hand/eye coordination. Much of tennis is foot/eye coordination. The service return has a higher level of eye/foot coordination as well as volleys. Things like moving the correct foot first and positioning yourself in time with balance greatly improves your ability to allow the brain to gather more information about how to make clean contact with the ball.

Just as much as you think you should work on your hand/eye coordination I would place an equal or greater emphasis in improving your movement, footwork patterns and development, and your balance. For tennis, I believe this will benefit you more then just developing hand/eye coodination.

SageOfDeath
06-21-2005, 02:47 PM
...followed by...

Um, well, er, yeah, actually, that sounds like exactly what you mean.

To the OP: I read some years back about a doctor who had created a set of eye exercises that, when done on a regular basis, actually improved the vision of some of his patients. Basically, he had designed exercises for strengthening the eye muscles, which, like all other muscles, can usually improve with regular workouts. I don't remember what these were called, but maybe you can do research among some opthalmologists.

My vision sucks. Good luck with yours.

Ok by his quotes he means that your ability is REDUCED its not impossible. And eye exercises??? IF AT ALL it would actually harm your vision by straining your eyes. Ask any certified optometrist and they will tell you that those exercises will NOT work. Plus even IF they did work the result would be slow. Getting glasses or contacts would be much better.

diredesire
06-21-2005, 02:58 PM
Play ping pong.

This is a good suggestion, just focus on speeding up the reaction time, not the mechanics, as ping pong can ruin tennis for some people ;D

Another thing is to try and cut down on the time you have to react. If you like the net you can try having a friend rally with you from no-man's land. Work on solid mechanics.

If you like the baseline, you can work on reflex/reaction by having a friend serve from the service line to drastically cut down on your reflex time. There are many things you can do, or you can just groove strokes on a ball machine to improve hand eye. Find out what works!

brazen
06-21-2005, 05:56 PM
get that "twist it" toy, the one where it has the beat, and it goes "twist it.....pull it.....spin it" that help. I also saw on the news about athletes doing this light reaction therapy or something. basically a bunch of different spots of lights were on the wall and you sat there in the dark. the lights would light up and you would have to tap them with your hand. This was proven to enhance hand eye cordination.