PDA

View Full Version : Strings similar to Prince Topspin

aznfatmonkey
03-21-2011, 04:49 PM
I recently played with Prince Topspin, and I loved the control and crisp feel that it had. The only problem was that it snapped in one hour. I also tried the Eagnas Perfect Spin that came with my machine, but although it's supposed to be a clone, it didn't have the same control and feel. Does anybody know a string that's similar to the Topspin?

Thanks

jim e
03-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Did it routinely snap in 1 hour more than once? You may want to try it again and see how long it will last again.You may have shanked a shot, kinked the string while stringing,crushed the string with machines clamp, or placed it in a hot or cold car too long etc. I would give it another try if you really liked it and see how long it lasts again. If it breaks too soon again, then try a larger gauge of same string.

esgee48
03-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Prince Top Spin comes in 16 and 15L. Use the 15L if you break the strings in an hour. Tend to agree with Jim that you may be doing something wrong as the string is pretty tough.

mikeler
03-22-2011, 04:18 AM
I've tried Prince Topspin 16g twice and both times I broke it in the 2nd set. Not a fan of 15g but it might be worth a shot.

aznfatmonkey
03-22-2011, 03:09 PM
I tried it again, and it only lasted 2 hours. Still a short time. I don't really like the 15L as much. So there aren't other strings that are similar?

mikeler
03-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Head RIP Control is very spinny.

stringertom
03-22-2011, 03:45 PM
The original textured non-polys were Prince Topspin and Gamma Ruff. The market expanded to include, among others, Head RIP Control and Gamma Asterisk Spin. If your premature breakage is not due to stringer error but play only, none of these will improve durability. A geometric or textured poly (as a main string) with a smooth nylon cross might be your answer. In that category you have countless options. I like Signum Pro Tornado but there are Soooo many others. Good luck!

aznfatmonkey
03-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Well the reason I'm not using polys is that my elbow felt funny when I used it before (a couple years ago). I didn't want to take any chances. Maybe I'll give it another try.

mikeler
03-23-2011, 04:18 AM
Well the reason I'm not using polys is that my elbow felt funny when I used it before (a couple years ago). I didn't want to take any chances. Maybe I'll give it another try.

Everyone says Polystar Energy is very soft. Might be a good and cheap first one to try.

big ted
03-23-2011, 04:52 AM
there are 2 kinds of prince topsin - with and without duraflex.. you could try the one with duraflex if you havent already..