PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Setups-Effects of Reversing mains and crosses

john hempel
03-22-2011, 08:46 AM
I'd be interested if there is a thread available or if anyone has a summary of what happens when you do a hybrid with gut in the mains and poly in the crosses and then reverse the setup so poly is in the mains and gut is in the crosses. This presumes everything else, including tension, racket, etc. remains the same. How does playability change? How does power, spin production and control change, etc.?

Any perspectives of reversing hybrid configurations would be helpful to me.

Thanks for any replies.

stringertom
03-22-2011, 11:55 AM
I'd be interested if there is a thread available or if anyone has a summary of what happens when you do a hybrid with gut in the mains and poly in the crosses and then reverse the setup so poly is in the mains and gut is in the crosses. This presumes everything else, including tension, racket, etc. remains the same. How does playability change? How does power, spin production and control change, etc.?

Thanks for any replies.
First off, when you reverse positions of the hybrided strings you must make a reversal of tensions: mains when gut pulled tighter (about 5% difference) than poly X's; mains when poly pulled less than gut X's.
Most upper-level club players would benefit from gutM/polyX set-ups but shy away from the durability factor on an expensive stringjob. Easier on the arm is harder on the wallet. Tour players at the top echelon don't feel that pain so you see Fed and Djokovic and others going gutM/polyX. At the minor-league level, you rarely see that financial sacrifice. In six-plus years stringing Futures events, I have strung one gutM/polyX setup while probably more than 40 of the reverse. When I asked one player to comment on the difference, he said in a perfect world he would play gutM for the little extra dwell time and feel on the stringbed, but he just couldn't afford the extra cash outlay.
Sorry for lack of brevity for not a whole lot of factual analysis. You pretty much have to try them out side-by-side for yourself.

john hempel
03-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Appreciated your very informative reply. Thanks again for the perspective and help.

stringertom
03-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Appreciated your very informative reply. Thanks again for the perspective and help.

For a chance, look at my signature for a set-up I use myself. The Signum Pro Tornado is one of many hi-tec new generation polys on the market. I switched from Lux ALU Rough and will not go back! I have a customer switching out of RPM Blast/gut to Tornado/gut on all 6 sticks in his bag. I go gutM/TornadoX and thrill on the comfort and SPIN it helps create. Good luck!

smucker007
03-22-2011, 03:07 PM
The main string dictates about 80% of the stringbed...so if putting gut on mains instead of crosses, you'd get the benefits of the gut, such as decent spin, power, feel, comfort. Whereas if you put poly on the mains, you'd get less power (some say less power=more control), more durability, and good spin.

I agree with the new generation polys..they have much better tension maintenance than the "luxury" brands..SP, WC, Tourna, Solinco, etc makes great strings with way better tension maintenance compared to more expensive brands.

Torres
03-22-2011, 03:32 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5465996&postcount=14

Erman
03-22-2011, 04:27 PM

Thanks for any replies.

used Bab VS gut in the mains-56 and Luxilon Big Banger rough on the X-52. Strings lasted less than 2 sets and broke. Occasionally they would last and then you get the sudden drop off from the Lux.

I switched to Lux main-Big Banger at 52 and VS Gut crosses 56. Lasts a lot longer, more power and spin is good with both. Much more durable and lasts several matches till the Lux either breaks or the string loses about 15-20% of it's tension.

john hempel
03-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Thanks to everyone for the great replies and the reference article from Tennis Warehouse. This helps a lot.