PDA

View Full Version : Tournaments

ambro
06-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Hey, what level tournaments should I enter? I was thinking about Open Divison, but I don't know what the level of competiton would be there. I have no idea what my ranking is, as I've never played anyone who knew their rank, but I would say 4.0. Would Open be too tough for me or what? Recommend me a tournament. I want to enter this one:

http://tournaments.usta.com/tournam...nt.aspx?T=29719

Would that be a good one for me? Boys 16 years old. Played high school this year at #4 singles and next year will most likely be #2. I'm just not sure what level I should enter for the tournament.

I posted this in Odds and Ends too, I don't know where is the right spot to put it...

theace21
06-20-2005, 08:13 PM
Go to one of the local clubs and ask the pro in charge of juniors...He could watch you and in 5 minutes be pretty close to where you should start...

Redflea
06-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Second the Pro recommendation...he/she or or anyone you know who has tournament experience can help you place yourself.

You can also find out when a tournament is happening nearby and go take a look at a couple of matches in the 3.5 and 4.5 levels, and determine (be honest with yourself!) where you fit in. I'd suggest sticking to the NTRP section at first...

Geezer Guy
06-21-2005, 07:49 AM
USTA tournaments are by age-group if you're less than 18. So, you being a 16 year old would play in the "Boy's 16's" division. NTRP does not apply to youth.

ambro
06-21-2005, 02:00 PM
Oh alright. I didn't know that, thanks Geezer Guy.

Also, Redflea, I am being honest when I say 4.0. I used to think I was a 5.0 but after reading on here I realized that college was about 5.0-6.0 and people usually go over by a point the first time you rank yourself. I guess that's pretty true.