PDA

View Full Version : How fast is tension loss and how much effect does the racket?

levy1
03-23-2011, 05:53 AM
I am using Klip Legend natural gut 18ga with Isospeed Professional17ga mains strung at 55/58. I really like the crisp feeling of the setup. All of a sudden the racket which has been a perfect stick for me feels different and does not play the same. I have about 15-20 sets on the string job.

Have I gone to long on the Isospeed? I don't understand because I see players using Prince synthetic gut for over a year. Of course I don't know how their racket feels but mine does not have the same liveliness and pop to it. How often do I need to change the string? I am not a big hitter just a aggressive USTA 3.5 playing about 4 times a week.

baek57
03-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Tension loss does not bother some people as much as it does others. Your tension will continue dropping the more you play with it you just need to figure out at what tension you like the racquet best and when you want it at that tension. ie freshly strung, after a week, after a month, etc.

levy1
03-23-2011, 09:59 AM
what about using full gut can you help me with that question

LeeD
03-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Cut it out, add 4 lbs. next stringjob, suffer for a week with a boardy feel, and it will play fine for 6 months.
Any string job that lasts more than 10 sets mean you either hit soft, you don't care about string feel, or you don't know the difference.

CDestroyer
03-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Gut holds tension better than any type of strings. They play very well until they pop. If you are having control problems try adding a poly in the main gut in the cross. It should save you some money and give you better control and spin.

levy1
03-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Cut it out, add 4 lbs. next stringjob, suffer for a week with a boardy feel, and it will play fine for 6 months.
Any string job that lasts more than 10 sets mean you either hit soft, you don't care about string feel, or you don't know the difference.

Add 4 pounds to both numbers?
After the 4 lbs it will last 6 months?
I do hit soft.

ethebull
03-24-2011, 05:46 AM
If you want multiple months, go all gut. Think of it this way. Why try to save $12 on half a string job when you only restring twice or three time a year?

levy1
03-24-2011, 10:51 AM
If you want multiple months, go all gut. Think of it this way. Why try to save $12 on half a string job when you only restring twice or three time a year?
the feel is more important then price
Would all gut feel as stiff as the combo gut/isospeed

ethebull
03-24-2011, 12:04 PM
the feel is more important then price
Would all gut feel as stiff as the combo gut/isospeed

Isospeed Pro is a soft ribbon string designed to emulate gut. I have not used it, personally, but it is not a stiff string. Replacing the Iso with gut will enhance durability, feel and power. Getting the stiffness and feel to your preference becomes a function of raising or lowering tension.