PDA

View Full Version : Golden Set Maximal Review

coolblue123
03-23-2011, 06:30 AM
Been playing with this string but I haven't shared my thoughts with everyone. So here goes:
Setup
Racquet: BB London
String: GoldenSet Maximal 16g
Tension: 56 main/53 cross

Stringing: Very easy to string up. I thought it has more of the properties of Syn Gut than the soft flexibility of typical multi's. I didn't even need to use any tools to push the strings through the shared holes in the grommets. No pre-stretching needed, the string didn't needed to be tighten on my dropweight machine. Stringing was really quick and effortless with this string.

Playing Style: Baseline/ All Court.

Time to let the strings settle after stringing: 12 hours.

On the court:
Ground strokes: It was extremely comfortable to play with and it had alittle more power than other Multi's. The string is not really textured, so spin was average. Feel was good, I had good touch on most shots. I was even amazed on the placement on some of the half volleys. I really like the power/control combo of the string. It didn't have the pocketing effects like a Volkl Gripper (still my fav string) but it had that traditional control and feel. Very Crisp string.

Volleys: Some traveled longer than I thought it would. But that's most because I strung it alittle looser than I usually do. Touch volleys had great placements, however, hard hitting volleys were slightly harder to control.

Serves: It's a string that is not really made for alot of spin. But kick serves were still going in. Flat serves was awesome!

Time to break strings: 8 hours.

Pros:
- Very Comfortable
- Crisp and Responsive Stringbed
- Cheap. (Paid $6.50/set)

Cons:
- Not alot of spin.
- Broke in 8 hours.

Other Notes:
One thing I've noticed is that this string does not fray at all. It just breaks. I've went through three sets already and it just breaks. The strands that broke doesn't look like the typical multi (that is, looks like alot of long strands). Instead, it is just short strands.
I would try to hybrid it with a textured co-poly and wonder what the result will be. I would bet the power of this string with texture co-poly will be a great combo.

I would say this string is really similar to NXT (regular). Goldenset says it plays like KGut. I thought KGut plays alot softer.

Let me know what your experience is? I am going to try Velvet (17g) next. I am wondering what the poly ribbon would stand up with 17g?

mikeler
03-23-2011, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the review. Been wondering about this string and if it does not have spin potential then I'll pass on it.

coolblue123
03-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the review. Been wondering about this string and if it does not have spin potential then I'll pass on it.

I guess spin depends on playing style as well. I hit mostly flat but I use alittle spin to pull my shots down. I wouldn't say Maximal is a textured string. But it has some spin capabilities because of the twisted strands. But this was the first time I played with a multi that didn't fray. I was quite amazed.