PDA

View Full Version : Most of you may already be familiar with this cite...

adizzy
03-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Hi guys. Not too much of a gear head. I came across this article. Wondering if you guys think it is true. specifically the parts I cut and pasted below.

"I can assure you from personal experience as well as experience with many local customers, that quality poly-based offerings, PROPERLY INSTALLED, give ample control at these low tensions. I PROMISE this is a true statement. In fact, when all elements are working together (strings/racquet/player) it becomes almost impossible to hit a ball long."

and

When not overtensioned or overstretched poly-based strings are EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE, LOSE LESS TENSION THAN MOST SYNTHETICS, and HOLD PLAYING PROPERTIES for an extended period of time. (The last varies according to makeup of string).

Here is the article: http://ggtennis.wordpress.com/

So if I go full poly at 45, done correctly, I would get less power???????

JT_2eighty
03-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Power is actually barely changed whether strung at 60, 45 or 30 pounds. What changes is "Ball trajectory", meaning a lower strung racquet will have the ball rebound off your racquet at a higher angle, more likely to go long (hence why people have always considered it "more power").

So, the point that this article draws upon is that POLY strings, being as stiff as they are, when strung at lower tensions like 45, do not result in the same "trajectory change" that softer synthetic gut, nat gut, and/or multifilament strings would experience at the same low tensions.

Hope that made sense. In short, stringing poly in the lower 40-lbs range can be quite controllable, unlike stringing a syn gut at that tension.

I'm currently using Polystar Energy at 43 lbs and have no issues controlling the ball. I used to string full gut at 61 lbs, and I had no issues adjusting to lower tension poly. Gut at 43 wouldn't be much more or less powerful than 61 lbs, but the *angle* the ball comes off the racquet would be so huge as to greatly diminish control. Poly is so rigid and inelastic in comparison, that low tensions are quite reasonable and usable.

bsardana
03-23-2011, 09:42 AM
John (ggtennis) is very knowledgeable when it comes to stringing and especially polys. His concepts as outlined are consistent with what Jay Cee recommends. Proper stringing techniques and low tensions for polys represent better playing characteristics - power, control and feel.

Ronaldo
03-23-2011, 09:53 AM
John (ggtennis) is very knowledgeable when it comes to stringing and especially polys. His concepts as outlined are consistent with what Jay Cee recommends. Proper stringing techniques and low tensions for polys represent better playing characteristics - power, control and feel.

Poly-Feel, is that possible?

bsardana
03-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Poly-Feel, is that possible?

Feel is subjective. So, yes, it is possible.

Lux - harsh feel
SPPP, Hyperion, Energy - Plush feel

Please note - it is subjective.

Ronaldo
03-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Alu Rough feels bad in my hand before tensioning.

DavidNERODease
03-23-2011, 10:21 AM
I agree with this article. My most recent full poly string jobs were never more 51lbs, not prestretced and strung slowly and carfeully on a good constant pull machine (superior Stringway drop weight). String performance has been extremely good and lasting and still getting better as I continue to refine my poly string jobs.

DavidNERODease
03-23-2011, 10:27 AM
note that most pro's DO NOT restring their racquets anywhere near as often as the top guys though... check out this article http://www.protennis.us/US%20Open%202010%20Stringing%20Analysis.pdf

kiteboard
03-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Wow. That is a serious article, with some real stats if you are interested in player string/tens/frames.

GlenK
03-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Very interesting article indeed. I have been playing tennis for over 40 years, but just got into stringing since I retired.

I have noticed the vast difference between the set pulled tension and what the string meters show. Wondering which is correct.

I strung a racquet yesterday at 60lbs on a brand new (2 weeks old) Gamma X-Els constant pull machine. Today a Gamma STT tension shows tensions of 40-49 pounds on the mains.

Is there that much tension loss that fast???

I play with Luxilon Supersense @ 60lbs. (or is it 40-49)

GlenK
03-23-2011, 11:19 AM
note that most pro's DO NOT restring their racquets anywhere near as often as the top guys though... check out this article http://www.protennis.us/US%20Open%202010%20Stringing%20Analysis.pdf

Great information!! Thanks for posting it!!

JRstriker12
03-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Very interesting article indeed. I have been playing tennis for over 40 years, but just got into stringing since I retired.

I have noticed the vast difference between the set pulled tension and what the string meters show. Wondering which is correct.

I strung a racquet yesterday at 60lbs on a brand new (2 weeks old) Gamma X-Els constant pull machine. Today a Gamma STT tension shows tensions of 40-49 pounds on the mains.

Assuming your machine is calibrated and the tension pulled is accurate - even then there will be a drop in tension hours after you string your racket. The tension will drop even further as you play with the racket.

Check out some of the RSI review for strings: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/playtests/

Depending on the string you may see a 9% to 15% drop in tension after stringing, even if you don't use the racket. I don't know what string you use, but some of the older polys lose a lot of tension a short time after they are string. The some of the newer polys are much better in retaining tension.

Ronaldo
03-23-2011, 11:26 AM

Lose 7-10% tension after 24 hrs before you hit a ball. Lose more after using the racquet. Nearly 19-20 # tension for Supersense when initially strung at 62# according to tests by USRSA.

GlenK
03-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Good posts guys thanks. I always knew it dropped, just didn't realize how much. They've discontinued Supersense which is what I'm playing with now and love it.
Been looking for a new one and Luxilon says that M2 Pro is the closest to Supersense they still make. (like you said, maybe being new it will retain tension a little better)

It's the string Milos Raonic plays with. Thought it was interesting on that article above that 1 guys plays with it and they told me yesterday it was him.

I will be asking a lot of questions as I learn this stuff. A lot to learn.

Thanks for your help.

Ronaldo
03-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Assuming your machine is calibrated and the tension pulled is accurate - even then there will be a drop in tension hours after you string your racket. The tension will drop even further as you play with the racket.

Check out some of the RSI review for strings: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/playtests/

Depending on the string you may see a 9% to 15% drop in tension after stringing, even if you don't use the racket. I don't know what string you use, but some of the older polys lose a lot of tension a short time after they are string. The some of the newer polys are much better in retaining tension.

Thanks for the link to those USRSA playtests. Never saw the latest before. Luxilon M2 was playtested.

Power Player
03-23-2011, 11:47 AM
This article is awesome. Really really good stuff in there. Pretty much sold me on stringing my polys lower. I have a dropweight, so I usually string at 56#s since the tension usually drops about 4 pounds in my experience.

I am thinking I should set the tension at 52#s next time for full poly.

For hybrids though, I am not sure I could go much lower then setting my machine for 56/58 since synth gut is not the nicest at low tension.

GlenK
03-23-2011, 11:51 AM
I have some M2 ordered. After reading that review and comments, can't wait for it to get here.

JRstriker12
03-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the link to those USRSA playtests. Never saw the latest before. Luxilon M2 was playtested.

No prob. I just recently discovered those play test. FWIW- you have to take some ratings with a grain of salt as RSI does represent the racquet sports industry - so I doubt they will every come out and say "string X is horrible" but it provides a good place to start when considering string choices.

Ronaldo
03-23-2011, 01:58 PM
No prob. I just recently discovered those play test. FWIW- you have to take some ratings with a grain of salt as RSI does represent the racquet sports industry - so I doubt they will every come out and say "string X is horrible" but it provides a good place to start when considering string choices.

Was part of the RSI/USRSA playtests from 2006-07. The comments of the playtesters are spot-on and varied.

JRstriker12
03-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Was part of the RSI/USRSA playtests from 2006-07. The comments of the playtesters are spot-on and varied.

Really? Interesting...

Consolation
03-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Lose 7-10% tension after 24 hrs before you hit a ball. Lose more after using the racquet. Nearly 19-20 # tension for Supersense when initially strung at 62# according to tests by USRSA.

USRSA does not test strung racquets. They tension a single string, strike it hard 10 times and wait an hour then report the tension loss. Actual initial and subsequent tension loss is much lower in a strung racquet as string deflection is much, much less.

When they have compared USRSA's method with tension loss in strung racquets there is correlation, but it's pretty loose.

I'm not sure it makes sense to use their numbers in more than a general sense, i.e. if they measure 12 or one string and 20 for another, the 20 string will probably lose tension faster, but how much faster is hard to say (i.e. the difference may or may not be significant in real use).