PDA

View Full Version : sysop:Reebok Pump

Swan Song
04-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Since you guys brought Nike Air Trainer 1 back, is there a chance that you guys are going to bring Court Victory a.k.a Michael Chang back? Please let me know.

inspector_clouseau
04-23-2004, 10:08 PM
i'd be interested as well!

Colpo
04-26-2004, 11:35 AM
Guys, the fact that you'd like the Chang Pumps back may be a sign that the retro tennis shoe has gone the way of the trucker hat. I just don't see it.

The Chang Pump was not a good shoe, and at the time of its release was not reviewed by the industry press as a good shoe (cf. the Air Trainer).

I distinctly remember scoring my one pair of Chang Pumps (black/yellow) at a Big 5 store for about $30. It didn't take long for the heel counters on both shoes to tilt to one side, proof of a weak heel counter insert. Borderline attractive, but ultimately kinda plain looking. In sum, very gimmicky and not competitive with Nike's tennis product of the time (e.g., the excellent Agassi Air mids of the early 90's).

Chang played a shoe called the Reebok Defiance in the late 80's and before the Pumps. I recall he even wore a custom-painted version of the Defiance at the '88 US Open. That was a decent shoe, but also not worth a bringback.

Frankly, are any Reeboks worth bringbacks?

By the way, did some research on the Air Trainer. The '87 / original version, both lo and hi, had full-length Air units. Remember that the Air Trainer was a top-of-the-line, $80 shoe for Nike that year, so no half-stepping on that effort.

Swan Song
04-27-2004, 08:19 PM
Colpo, what is the Defiance? Is it the one that Chang wore at the '89 French Open?

kreative
04-27-2004, 11:18 PM
i liked the old agassi air challenges, or something like that.

Colpo
04-28-2004, 10:30 AM
Swan Song, Chang did not wear the Defiance at the '89 Open. While I don't know/recall the model name, Chang wore a very basic leather upper model essentially for it's clay-court-suited tread. No bells and whistles on that shoe. May not have been available to the general public. Shoe existed because of its exaggerated herringbone tread.

The Defiance was a hard-court shoe with a soft midsole and rubber outsole. Like the Lendl Comp, it had a nifty external hard rubber arch support (black). The Defiance also featured a hard gray plastic toe cap over just the big toe, for abrasion protection. The colorway was white, black, gray and red accenting.

Reebok moved on to ERS (Energy Return System - the rubber tubes visible in the heel) technology around the end of the decade, and produced a Defiance ERS the next model year.