PDA

View Full Version : Multi vs Syn gut

-Bobo-
03-24-2011, 07:07 AM
Can someone explain the difference between these two to me in some detail ie playing characteristic etc.

l3

dirtballer
03-24-2011, 09:12 AM
4 issues - playability, cost, comfort, and durability. Playability - I personally believe that multis have a little better feel than synthetic gut. Cost - Syn gut costs less. I think Prince Synthetic goes for around $4 while something like Babolat Addiction goes for around $11 and Bab Excel for around $18. Comfort - A soft multi will put the least amount of stress on your arm. Durability - my experience is that multis will fray and break a little sooner than syn gut. Bottom line - overall, I'd go with a multi but if cost is a factor, there's nothing wrong with a string like Prince Synthetic.

Readers
03-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Durability - my experience is that multis will fray and break a little sooner than syn gut.

But if you are not a big string breaker, multis maintain tension much better.

-Bobo-
03-24-2011, 05:22 PM
Cool thanks for that, hit with a syn gut which is apparently a pretty bad one, hated it at first but after it loosened up a tiny bit was great, felt like i got more spin than with any multi i've hit with.

mikeler
03-25-2011, 05:04 AM
Cool thanks for that, hit with a syn gut which is apparently a pretty bad one, hated it at first but after it loosened up a tiny bit was great, felt like i got more spin than with any multi i've hit with.

Multis are not for everyone. I've tried to get 2 guys down at my club to ditch their solid core synthetic guts since both of them have had arm injuries in the past and I don't want to lose them as hitting partners. Both of them just love the stiffer, crisper feel of their cheaper synthetic gut.

Which synthetic gut did you hit with?

-Bobo-
03-26-2011, 04:24 AM
It's just the generic head synthetic that comes in the LM radical i think i read somewhere that it's called head pps. Today i hit with tecnifibre multifeel (wilson 6.0 95 strung at 55) and wilson hollow core pro (dunlop 4d 200 strung at 60), it seemed like the multifeel was the better string but the dunlop just suits my game more and i was serving ridiculous, painting the lines with pace and spin. So i can't really judge either string since i didn't have them strung in the same racquet but I'd give both good props.

Just to add a note the spin with the multifeel was great, pretty close to what i was getting with a full bed of silverstring in the same stick, and I'm not sure with the hollowcore in the dunlop it was a bit wierd, great spin on the serve but below average on groudies. I think with the serve it was just because i had the confidence with the dense pattern to put 100 percent into my motion, usually i feel the need to hold back with the open patterns but they're convenient for getting a little bit extra spin on the groundies.

Keep in mind I'm not a big spin hitter, i hit my serves and my slice with a lot of spin but everything else is just enough to keep it in.

mikeler
03-26-2011, 05:15 AM
MultiFeel is a great offering. You may want to try it in your other stick just once.

-Bobo-
03-26-2011, 06:02 AM
MultiFeel is a great offering. You may want to try it in your other stick just once.

Yeah i was thinking that, i forgot to mention both were 16 gauge, i was thinking of buying multifeel in 17 if it comes in it and stringing it at 60 in the dunlop, though I'm worried i would lose a bit of control on the serve, but I'm hoping to gain a bit of spin on groundies. Forgot to mention the dunlop is a friends but he can't play with it strung that high and the 4d 200 we demoed was way more head light and strung lower and he was hitting the ball better than he ever has, with this new one... well he wasn't doing too well.

Also I'm probably going to try mantis power synth in a full bed in the dunlop. I've hit with it hybrided with their power polyester in both ways poly x synth main and vice versa, the poly main played better but that was because both were strung pretty low and with the synth in the main low stringing gave too much pop but it was so nice and soft and the spin was pretty good. So i figure if i do it at 60 in a 18x20 should work out pretty well. We'll see, i'll also try og sheep micro 17 just for reference since everyone says its great and cheap.

mikeler
03-26-2011, 01:40 PM
I thought OGSM 17 was very stiff the one time I played with it. It broke after 14 games and I was so happy!

-Bobo-
03-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Hrmm i might have to give it a miss then, I've also had some arm pains on occasion, as in couldn't use it the rest of the day but it always abated really quick, but i figure better to change strings now so it doesn't become a long term thing, better safe then sorry. Cool thx for the info

MuscleWeave
03-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Yeah i was thinking that, i forgot to mention both were 16 gauge, i was thinking of buying multifeel in 17 if it comes in it and stringing it at 60 in the dunlop, though I'm worried i would lose a bit of control on the serve, but I'm hoping to gain a bit of spin on groundies.

I've noticed that the 17g Multifeel is a little firmer and a little more powerul than the 16g. I prefer the 16g with lower tension.

MW

-Bobo-
03-27-2011, 04:21 PM
I've noticed that the 17g Multifeel is a little firmer and a little more powerul than the 16g. I prefer the 16g with lower tension.

MW

Hrmm that sucks, I'll give it a go anyway, but if that's the case I'll probably stick to the 16 too.