PDA

View Full Version : Help me loved X1 for about 6hrs

SAC35
03-24-2011, 07:11 AM
Hey guys this is my first post I'm a 3.5 player with an all around style of play good serve I hit with topspin from the baseline and mostly wait for a short ball to put deep and finish at the net or at least that's the idea. I use a Pure Drive Roddick GT Plus I need help finding the right string

First string was Pro Hurricane @ 58 just had to much power not enough control slight arm discomfort not a big deal

Next I tried X1 bi phase @ 60 and instantly thought I found the perfect setup for me control power and no arm pain

The problem is after about 6hrs of play the string is fraying and I have lost a lot of control

I'm looking for advice hybrid or full-bed something I might get 10-15 hrs out of if that's possible if so what kind and tension for the crosses and mains

There are so many combinations I could spend years trying different setups and I thought a year of demoing rackets was tough
thanks for your help

mikeler
03-24-2011, 08:52 AM
What gauge are you using?

SAC35
03-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Sorry both are 17

parasailing
03-24-2011, 09:29 AM
For me, that's when it starts to fray too. It's just a feature of this particular string. Plays great for the initial few hours then starts to fray and things go downhill. Great string, just got to live with it's limitations.

mikeler
03-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Sorry both are 17

I'm finding the 16g seems to be retaining it's playability after about 6 hours of play. Babolat Xcel is softer and lasts a nice long time but also frays like crazy.

SAC35
03-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Hey guys do you think I could get similar playability but longer life with some type of poly hybrid

pvaudio
03-24-2011, 03:24 PM
X-1 is the biggest disappointment to ever come from Technifibre IMO. That's saying a lot for me since I lived off full beds of NRG2 for over half a decade. X-1 plays like a board for the first hour, then it turns into a fantastic multi: power, touch, comfort, good spin, the lot. An hour later, all hell breaks loose and then your shot is at the grace of God. It's so unpredictable and has the least linear playing style of any string I've ever seen.

pvaudio
03-24-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm finding the 16g seems to be retaining it's playability after about 6 hours of play. Babolat Xcel is softer and lasts a nice long time but also frays like crazy.Ughhhhhh, SOOOOOOOOOOOOO expensive, man.

pvaudio
03-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Maybe try WeissCANNON Silverstring strung low, or crossed with a soft synthetic like Forten Sweet or Mantis Comfort Synthetic. Low powered, nice touch, great control. The reason is because MCS plays like super-underpowered natural gut.

KenC
03-25-2011, 09:56 AM
I used X1 for about 6 months but it was getting expensive at almost 25 just for a pack of X1. That's almost $40 for about 15 hours of play. I then did a string test and found MultiFeel from TF and it plays crisply like X1 but has a little less power. That's OK for me as I just dropped the tension another 2 lbs and the transition was painless. Haven't looked back and have played with MultiFeel for over a year straight now and could't be happier. It's worth a demo.

Torres
03-25-2011, 10:03 AM
X-1 is the biggest disappointment to ever come from Technifibre IMO. That's saying a lot for me since I lived off full beds of NRG2 for over half a decade. X-1 plays like a board for the first hour, then it turns into a fantastic multi: power, touch, comfort, good spin, the lot. An hour later, all hell breaks loose and then your shot is at the grace of God. It's so unpredictable and has the least linear playing style of any string I've ever seen.

Very similar to my experiences. Starts stiff, then plays well for a short time, then quickly turns into a rocket launcher. When its like that it's just impossible for anyone with a full swing and/or alot of racquet head speed to take a big cut of the ball without fear of it flying long or wide.

MultiFeel is probably the best non-poly string that Tecnifibre offer that I've played with, particularly when its pre-streched (I use a 20% prestretch) to take out some of the elasticity. It's works better with a poly cross though, as I find so many of these multis overpowered and too springy after a few hours of play.

mikeler
03-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Hmm, played last night with X1 for a game and it was pretty springy but so was NXT Control. Could have been the intense wind, bad footwork or placebo effect but I switched over to Babolat Addiction and started playing better. I may have to give MultiFeel another try since I'm not breaking strings as quickly these days. The first time I used MF, it lasted 4 sets but I really liked it.

g4driver
03-27-2011, 07:53 PM

pvaudio,

What gauge X-1 were you using? 18g? 17g? 16g?

There is a big difference between 16g and 17g. 16g X-One works for me just fine as a cross. I used VS Gut, Pacific Gut and Klip Gut. I don't care for Klip, and the Genesis Gut I just got from the depot had multiple foreign objects (dirt or something) embedded in two out of the four packs. Alex refunded my money for the Genesis, and is sending the string back to Genesis. I've never seen anything like what I saw in the Genesis string. He couldn't explain it either. Other users on this forum have found the same junk in the Genesis gut, which certainly makes $26.90 a pack expensive for contaminated gut.

If I find an easy way to upload the Genesis photos here, I will do that. This forum doesn't seem to allow direct uploads of photos.

For me, 16g X-One in crosses is the best string I've found for the money. I only use X-One as a cross, and never in a full bed. I like X-One much better than NRG2. Solinco Vanquish is the next best 16g multi that I've used.

pvaudio
03-28-2011, 07:55 AM
The 18g. With a few exceptions (mostly polys), I tend to get the thinnest gauge possible of a string since it usually plays best.

SAC35
03-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks guys for all of the great feedback
I am going to try the Multi Feel 17G or 18G?
I am also going to try the Weiss CANNON Silverstring x-1 was strung @ 60 any suggestions for the Silverstring?

g4driver
03-28-2011, 08:40 AM
pvaudio,

There is a massive difference in a 18g poly and an super soft 18g multifilament in durability. Most polys will last twice long compared to the 18g multi. I understand the playability of a thinner string, but in the case of X-One, I think the exact opposite is true due to the tension loss characteristics of X-One. The tension loss is much less pronounced in the 16g compared to the 17g.

Have you ever tried X-One in 16g or 17g?

I don't like, nor do I use 17g X-One as it breaks too easily, and it loses tension much too quickly compared to the 16g version. I can't imagine how quickly 18g drops tension. :cry: 16g X-One holds tension for about 12 hours for me, but yes once it starts fraying, the tension goes. It also pops rather quickly if not cut out.

I always use 16/16L gut/multis and 17/17L polys. The multis and gut always break first. I've never broken a poly in a hybrid.

Thanks for the find on Scorpion. I have four Wilson Pro Opens :

Two: M60 Scorpion 1.22 // X57 X-One 16g (for USTA matches)
One: M60 Scorpion 1.22 // X57 NXTC 16g (testing crosses)
One: M60 Mosquite Bite 18g // X57 X-One 16g (testing mains)

The Pro Open has all the power I want, so I string higher for better control. I don't have TE or arm issues, so the higher tensions work for me.

I have some Pacific Gut, but have to wait for the rain to go away before stringing that up. I've never tried gut crosses, but rather always put the gut in the mains. I appreciate your feedback on the WT Mains/Scorpion crosses and noted that you didn't like the gut in the mains as much.