PDA

View Full Version : Jay cee stringing method for tension loss.

kiteboard
03-24-2011, 10:31 AM
He advocates adjusting your normal main tens, say, if you are at 60, drop the mains to 56, and when you get to the two last mains on either side, (4 total) bump them up to 64lbs, and press down on them to equalize the bed after knot tie off. (Due to the higher tens. on the last mains, it raised the whole bed up to 60, but if you start at 60, and raise the last mains to 68, it's going to raise the whole bed up to 63 or so.) The tens. diff. migrates across the bed. He then says increase the crosses 4 lbs up, from 56 to 60, until you get to the last 3 crosses, which you bump up to 64lbs. Doing this will eliminate tension loss as you know it, but it also stiffens up the bed somewhat and drops power down.

If using poly, they advocate a very slow pull, and min. constant pull (if using a cons. pull machine 30% only), and don't clamp off for at least 5sec., to let the poly stretch out. They also say poly performs better at lower tens. due to its stiffness, and the trajectory off the bed is not as high an angle as gut or multis which are softer and more elastic. That's why so many people like low tens. on poly, fewer string breaks as well.

Has anyone combined the low tens. (30-40) with the jaycee method?

Darkhors
03-24-2011, 10:45 AM
I use a modified version of the JayCee method. When I string, I only bump up the tension 4 pounds for both main and crosses and I only do the last 2 crosses instead of the last 3 crosses. I will be stringing up my racket with BHBR 17 (full bed) using this method with a starting tension of 45. Should be interesting to see the difference compared to my normal setup.

I do equalize the stringbed after the mains by pushing on the strings from the outer most going in to the center from both sides. An example of this is: I start on the outside mains at the top and press down once towards the top and once just above the center. Then I do the same thing from the bottom so that it pushes everything to the middle. I get very consistent results using this.

DH

weksa
03-24-2011, 10:52 AM
I learned about all of this yesterday, having researched the JayCee method as well as reading up on the GGTennis article posted in a thread yesterday. In the comments of the GGTennis article, I saw some Q&A, and the GG author suggested 44/48 for a poly/syngut hybrid in a 98 sq in. 16x19 racquet.

This weekend I'm planning to string 2 racquets using the JayCee method with low tensions: (1) full poly at 44 lbs, and (2) poly/syngut hybrid at 44/48. I'll see how it goes, depending whether it rains or not.

kiteboard
03-24-2011, 11:13 AM
In my exp., this stops tens. loss for awhile, and then it comes on anyway.

Darkhors
03-25-2011, 09:19 AM
In my exp., this stops tens. loss for awhile, and then it comes on anyway.

I think it's less about tension loss as it is about the string bed being even. The tension loss is going to occur no matter what you do, but your SBS loss will feel more gradual because you've normalized it before hitting. If you didn't do that, then it's possible that you'd notice a change shortly after playing, then it would stabilize, then the change due to tension loss.

Just my .02 but I definitely notice that my racket feels great from the start until the SBS is no longer where I like it to be.

DH

dadozen
03-25-2011, 09:50 AM
What about stringing at your normal tension and then raise it when pulling the last 2 mains/crosses?

weksa
03-25-2011, 10:33 AM
What about stringing at your normal tension and then raise it when pulling the last 2 mains/crosses?

In my understanding of the JayCee method, the reason for initially dropping the tension is as follows (copy+pasted from my personal summarized notes):

The JayCee method accounts for the usual 15-20 lbs of tension loss on the mains and the 20-25 lbs of tension loss on the crosses after stringing a poly/syngut hybrid racquet. JayCee adds extra tension to the last mains and last crosses of the racquet:

+8 lbs on each of the last 2 outer mains (4 mains total), for a total of 32 lbs extra.
For a 16-main racquet, that's an average of +2 lbs extra per string.
For an 18-main racquet, that's an average of +1.78 lbs extra per string, = ~2 lbs.
This is why, if my desired tension for mains is 48 lbs on a traditional string job, I must string using 46 lbs on the mains of a JayCee string job.

+4-5 lbs on each of the last 3 crosses, for a total of 12-15 lbs extra.

So, if your normal tension on a traditional string job is 60, then using the JayCee method with the mains at 60 and then adding extra tension on the last mains/crosses, you're final tension on the mains will actually be closer to 62 lbs.