PDA

View Full Version : Sigma Tornado vs Hyperion

jgtthd
03-24-2011, 10:42 AM
hi all -
have play tested both of these and love them both, the tornado seems to have better reviews but wanted to know what other people who have played with either of them thought!!
let me know.

junk
03-24-2011, 11:05 AM
check my comments in this thread http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=345425

to make it short - i like hyperion better - gives me as much spin, holds tension better, the playability remains the same for a while contrary to tornado (once the edges wear out on tornado the access to spin disappears), and after loosening up doesn't give the trampoline effect which tornado gave me

jgtthd
03-25-2011, 12:59 AM
check my comments in this thread http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=345425

to make it short - i like hyperion better - gives me as much spin, holds tension better, the playability remains the same for a while contrary to tornado (once the edges wear out on tornado the access to spin disappears), and after loosening up doesn't give the trampoline effect which tornado gave me

ok interesting...i haven't tried hyperion yet but did enjoy tornado and was also impressed that on stringforum.net the tornado came top 10 out of 2000 strings in both power and spin category at the thin 1.17 guage....but i will give hyperion a bash as i pulled thr trigger too fast on the last reel of string that i bought and want to get this one right.

baseline_monster
03-25-2011, 01:29 AM
hi all -
have play tested both of these and love them both, the tornado seems to have better reviews but wanted to know what other people who have played with either of them thought!!
let me know.

I cant comment on Hyperion but have used Tornado for about 4 months. The string offers a lot of power yet control but the 2 things that stand out is spin production and tension maintenance. My favourite string in Blackcode but I'd say Tornado is the better string for players who dont want to be restringing often due to tension lose. The spin I get from the Signum is crazy, really cant recommend it enough.

junk
03-25-2011, 01:30 AM
tornado does get very good reviews - i'm even thinking of giving it another shot - maybe i missed something first time (it's not like i didn't like tornado, i just preferred hyperion out of the two). but, in general, both tornado and hyperion are very similar strings, they even sounds the same when you hit the ball so i have no doubt you will enjoy hyperion

jgtthd
03-25-2011, 01:31 AM
tornado does get very good reviews - i'm even thinking of giving it another shot - maybe i missed something first time (it's not like i didn't like tornado, i just preferred hyperion out of the two). but, in general, both tornado and hyperion are very similar strings, they even sounds the same when you hit the ball so i have no doubt you will enjoy hyperion

awesome thanks. what guage do you use? i have been reading on stringforum.net that the best version for spin and power is the think 1.17 which suprised me but it's top 10 for spin and power on their site

junk
03-25-2011, 01:32 AM
normally i use 17g strings, in this case hyperion 1.24mm

junk
03-25-2011, 01:33 AM
I cant comment on Hyperion but have used Tornado for about 4 months. The string offers a lot of power yet control but the 2 things that stand out is spin production and tension maintenance. My favourite string in Blackcode but I'd say Tornado is the better string for players who dont want to be restringing often due to tension lose. The spin I get from the Signum is crazy, really cant recommend it enough.

i'll definitely give tornado another shot. can't hurt to try. especially when my reel of hyperion has only a few string jobs left in it

jgtthd
03-25-2011, 01:34 AM
normally i use 17g strings, in this case hyperion 1.24mm

that would have been my normal choice too but apparently the 17L or 1.17 in the tornado is the best one (at leats it scored the highest on stringforum.net in spin and power and higher then the hyperion as well!)

junk
03-25-2011, 01:36 AM
that would have been my normal choice too but apparently the 17L or 1.17 in the tornado is the best one (at leats it scored the highest on stringforum.net in spin and power and higher then the hyperion as well!)

saw that too. but never tried 18g strings. i usually use hybrid (poly mains and multi crosses) so would need to put an 18mm multi in crosses and that would reduce the durability drastically. i do have my own stringer but would hate to restring my racquets more than once a week - just don't have enough time

jgtthd
03-25-2011, 01:39 AM
saw that too. but never tried 18g strings. i usually use hybrid (poly mains and multi crosses) so would need to put an 18mm multi in crosses and that would reduce the durability drastically. i do have my own stringer but would hate to restring my racquets more than once a week - just don't have enough time

i know what you mean, am worried i will burm through a set a week but the reviews are far better of the thinner string. also my doubles partner uses the alu timo 18g and swears by thin strings...says the feel he gets since he swicthed is amazing...going to have to give the tornado 1.17 a try will order a set now and see how it goes. drop me your email address if you want me to mail you my thought in a week or so about how it played.

pvaudio
03-25-2011, 04:41 AM
I believe that they are the same formula, merely that Tornado is extruded in the finishing process.

junk
03-25-2011, 05:06 AM
i know what you mean, am worried i will burm through a set a week but the reviews are far better of the thinner string. also my doubles partner uses the alu timo 18g and swears by thin strings...says the feel he gets since he swicthed is amazing...going to have to give the tornado 1.17 a try will order a set now and see how it goes. drop me your email address if you want me to mail you my thought in a week or so about how it played.

would love to hear your feedback tennistgk @ gmail com . if i have time later today, i'm gonna freshly string one of my racquets with tornado and the other with hyperion and compare this weekend (it will be 17g though). btw, played a friendly set with lux alu power in mains and x-one biphase in crosses today - my shoulder doesn't like lux at all. gonna cut it out