PDA

View Full Version : What do you home stringers do with unneeded string?

Maui19
03-24-2011, 02:00 PM
I have a little home stringing setup (Gamma Progression 2000) and I find myself accumulating some string sets and partial sets that I never get around to using. I've got something like 3 sets of Tornado, a set of Prince Beast, 1/2 a set of OG Micro, Energy, etc etc etc plus all the Gamma string that came with my stringer. Do you guys **** this stuff (seems like a PITA for small ticket items), or sell it here, or trade it or just keep it in case?

struggle
03-24-2011, 02:06 PM
if it's long enough to be used, i keep it and throw that stuff in the rackets of my less discriminating friends that want a cheap/free set.

if it's less than a full set it gets hrybid treatment.

JT_2eighty
03-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Check out the "String Trades" thread in the For Sale sub-forum.

Also, if you have Energy 1.20... I have a bunch of stuff available to trade for it :)

Trades usually no money is transacted, people just mail each other the agreed strings.

retlod
03-24-2011, 02:28 PM
if it's long enough to be used, i keep it and throw that stuff in the rackets of my less discriminating friends that want a cheap/free set.

Ditto.

I've got something like 3 sets of Tornado...

I'm open to trading and have a pretty good variety of polys in the drawer. Shoot me an e-mail at smdolter@hotmail.com (smdolter@hotmail.com)if you're interested.

pvaudio
03-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Check out the "String Trades" thread in the For Sale sub-forum.

Also, if you have Energy 1.20... I have a bunch of stuff available to trade for it :)

Trades usually no money is transacted, people just mail each other the agreed strings.http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5516713&postcount=572 :)

SirGounder
03-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Forget the trading thread. Just send them to me, much simpler.

Maui19
03-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Holy cow there's a string trading forum here? :oops:

JT_2eighty
03-24-2011, 04:21 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5516713&postcount=572 :)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=5514760#post5514760 :D

dadozen
03-25-2011, 05:49 AM
JT, did you give up on gut/poly? Noticed you changed your sig.

JT_2eighty
03-25-2011, 05:57 AM
Not completely, but perhaps. I tried a few full co-poly jobs (Hyperion, Scorpion & Energy)... and really took a liking to Energy. I will try it with gut (yes, potential rocket launcher), but depending on how that goes, I may be a full Energy convert.

It has similar feel/power/control for way less $$. I was finding that after 5-7 hours, even gut/poly would lose its initial 'wow' factor, so why not try some good soft polys as a full job and if I can get 5-7 hours from those with similar results... well so far so good.

pvaudio
03-25-2011, 06:36 AM
Yo JT, what's the Genesis 1.20 gut like? I'd spring for some of that if you want some Energy :)

dadozen
03-25-2011, 06:37 AM
That's great news JT! If you do change to Polystar Energy, the money saved will be huge!

What about tension stability from Energy? I read a lot of reviews complaining about that.

JT_2eighty
03-25-2011, 06:52 AM
Yo JT, what's the Genesis 1.20 gut like? I'd spring for some of that if you want some Energy :)

Genesis 1.20 was a lil more powerful than Pacific Tough, yet still crisp for a gut. Not quite as plush as VS, but in all, a quality gut (just thin, so durability was low). I got about 8 hours iirc. We can trade if you want, I paid the going rate at the depot for it (2 sets of it available, so I'd say 3 Energy per 1 Genesis gut). Seems very similar to the WT you've reviewed.

That's great news JT! If you do change to Polystar Energy, the money saved will be huge!

What about tension stability from Energy? I read a lot of reviews complaining about that.

Ahh yes, that will be the question for sure. I have a few matches this weekend, so it will get a good workover to really see. My backup is strung full Scorpion, they are both really nice TBH (so was Hyperion), just Energy has better touch at net and overall comfort. If Energy gives me 4-5 good hours, I'll be happy at that price.

mikeler
03-25-2011, 07:10 AM
Genesis 1.20 was a lil more powerful than Pacific Tough, yet still crisp for a gut. Not quite as plush as VS, but in all, a quality gut (just thin, so durability was low). I got about 8 hours iirc. We can trade if you want, I paid the going rate at the depot for it (2 sets of it available, so I'd say 3 Energy per 1 Genesis gut). Seems very similar to the WT you've reviewed.

Ahh yes, that will be the question for sure. I have a few matches this weekend, so it will get a good workover to really see. My backup is strung full Scorpion, they are both really nice TBH (so was Hyperion), just Energy has better touch at net and overall comfort. If Energy gives me 4-5 good hours, I'll be happy at that price.

Locally Poly Star Energy has become very popular. I'm hoping to try it out soon.

tennisinAZ
03-27-2011, 09:19 PM
keep it in case, or charge friends and string for them at discounted prices